Couple of questions for restoring a shower (pics)

Name
I'm Rick James
I got a shower coming up that I am going to clean, color seal and replace the caulking. I have never done the caulking before, is there a secret tip to remove the old caulking?

Should I replace some of the grout before or after I clean it? Also removing the old frame for the sliding doors.

th_ShowerRestore-1.jpg

th_ShowerRestore6.jpg

th_ShowerRestore4before.jpg

th_ShowerRestore8.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
replace the grout after you clean it. caulking comes out with a little plastic tool that has a hook, the big box stores carry them. when i remove grout i use a razor but you have to be careful.

gene

Name
I'm Rick James
Sounds good. Was also going to use a caulking finisher for the lines. I will try and take better pics when I go back, I think who ever did it was drunk at the time because they did a very bad job. The tiles dont even line up in some places. Good times.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I would'nt color seal that shower as it is unsanded grout.

I would probably remove grout / caulking first then light clean. I could never use just one tool for the removal of grout and caulking which is why I have a bunch of little ones. Depending on how soft the grout is a box cutter may do it. I usually use the fein supercut along with the dremel for detailing.

Albert

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would love to see more photos of this project. I cleaned the shower here at home and color sealed with some cheep stuff from Home depot about 4 Mo ago. We have an issue with mold and mildew in the shower because there is no bathroom exhaust fan. The Home depot stuff was a pain to apply, but has been holding up well because it has a built in antimicrobial.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
We have an issue with mold and mildew in the shower because there is no bathroom exhaust fan

That's the problem here as well. I believe the code says, if you have a window in your bathroom you don't need a ceiling fan. Problem is noone ever opens their window when taking a shower. I would think at least contractors would recommend one regardless when doing remodels.

Albert

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
We have an issue with mold and mildew in the shower because there is no bathroom exhaust fan

That's the problem here as well. I believe the code says, if you have a window in your bathroom you don't need a ceiling fan. Problem is noone ever opens their window when taking a shower. I would think at least contractors would recommend one regardless when doing remodels.

Albert

Name
I'm Rick James
I understand what your saying about the unsanded grout, but this shower has serious mold issues. I do have more pics, will upload them later.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I understand what your saying about the unsanded grout, but this shower has serious mold issues.

Not sure I get it. Colorseal prevents mold?. Or maybe you're referring to something else.

Albert

Name
I'm Rick James
Albert Lazo said:
I understand what your saying about the unsanded grout, but this shower has serious mold issues.

Not sure I get it. Colorseal prevents mold?. Or maybe you're referring to something else.

Albert

The grout is 3 different shades and plenty of mold, not sure if all the mold is going to come out. Wanted to color seal it for a more even look. Four of the tiles are a different shade as well from a bad repair job by the handle.

Danny, this is better, its a donated job. !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom