Customer falls at a restaurant while cleaning.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I really hate cleaning restaurants when they are open. I put up wet floor signs and do what I have to do. But when the customers walk off the damp carpet onto tile floor I cringe. I tell them to be careful. So workers comp called from the actual restaurant. We are not being blamed for this one. And the customer was over heard by others saying she was going to fall on purpose.

Whos really at fault? Me? Or the restaurant that wont close for cleaning?

Samsung galaxy S 4

Reactions: Derek

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Work comp would be an employee wouldn't it? Was it an employee that fell?

Not sure liability wise but I'd say they will most likely go after the restaurant first (deep pockets) but the restaurant's insurance may go after your insurance to get what they can from yours too.

I wouldn't get too concerned that's what insurance is for, you did your due diligence so there is not more you could have done and they remained open.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I really hate cleaning restaurants when they are open. I put up wet floor signs and do what I have to do. But when the customers walk off the damp carpet onto tile floor I cringe. I tell them to be careful. So workers comp called from the actual restaurant. We are not being blamed for this one. And the customer was over heard by others saying she was going to fall on purpose.

Whos really at fault? Me? Or the restaurant that wont close for cleaning?

Samsung galaxy S 4

glad you're not being blamed! i cringe as well. i tell everyone who walks by to be careful not to slip but it could still happen. guess i better be more pro-active about this. tx for sharing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I always waited until ALL the customers were gone no matter how late they stayed.

I would kind of hurry them up by moving tables or chairs or bringing in equipment so they GOT THE IDEA to get the hell out.

Reactions: J Scott W
Name
I'm Rick James
Make sure you get that witnesses name that said she fell on purpose.. the good thing is that you had your wet floor signs out which is going to play a huge factor.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Caution tape or do not enter tape should keep them off or when they go under it becomes their responsibility. Does not mean they can not sue, just helps you in a suit. Who wants to pay to eat next to a carpet cleaning set up anyway?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I just wag my weinie at them. they run like HELL!

Which may be a good time to discuss and possibly complete the limerick of the month competition:

A Canadian carpet cleaner named Willy
made a habit of wagging his weinie

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
There are multiple angles to Willy and his weinie...

Let's say he wags it out in the open...let's assume its a certain Asian restaurant...where at the moment he starts waggin, a chef runs out in hopes of a dead weinie that could go right into the pot...

Or Willy will just get sued by PETA if its not in a certain Asian restaurant....

Or Willy will get the "yard" after him if it wasn't his Weiner dog he was wagging...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Never, ever, ever, ever start a cleaning job in a public place no matter how long you have to wait. I can hook you up with a local cleaner whom was sued, and a pretty good amount, because his employees started cleaning a resturant while custys were still there. Custy says his eyes were damaged from the pre-spray.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The customers have to leave the restaurant and exit onto tile. They wont close and have not for 7 years! Hopefully everything will work out.

Samsung galaxy S 4

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I love the customers that are told to be careful walking onto the tile from damp carpet. Then they jump onto the tile and slip. I had one lady years ago that we just told her to be careful coming down the stairs after we sprayed prespray. she goes flying down the stairs on her butt.

Name
Yohance
I'm with jimmy on this one we wait till everyone leaves just so we have no issue. We move chairs start pumping prespray and they get the picture soon.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Yes, but no one ever leaves open why cleaning. I grab menus and seat guests. That way I can rotate where we clean and get things done.

Samsung galaxy S 4

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yes, but no one ever leaves open why cleaning. I grab menus and seat guests. That way I can rotate where we clean and get things done.

Samsung galaxy S 4

I to become the highest paid host in Ky when cleaning the 4 restaurants that are open while we clean. All my years of restaurant experience comes in very handy, I basically take over the direction of seating while we're there if not the servers will scatter the customers everywhere.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea most of these guys havent figured it out yet.......

THE JOINT IS OPEN 24 HRS PEOPLE.......

NOT EVERYONE HAS TO LEAVE

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
not worth it. I wont clean in any place where public traffic is present. Yes you can be sued. but that does not mean they will win. remember the employees both yours and the restaurant are covered under workers comp. if you participate in the comp program your employees can not sue you. so if the customers are all gone your 100% covered. I know you mentioned the place is open 24hr. in that case total access to any work areas must be blocked off with no traffic at all until areas is dry and safe for foot traffic. walking off of wet carpet onto a slippery surface is whats is called an "attractive nuisances" in other words a trap or accident waiting to happen. it is your responsibility to avoid any "attractive nuisance's" do your self a favor and avoid this kind of scenario. good luck and don't loose any sleep over it. I had what we later found out to be a meth house catch fire the day after I cleaned it. the drug makers told fire dept and police we must have used something that caused it. an old lady died in that fire. talk about loosing sleep. at the end of all of this and two months later obviously we were cleared. but imagine all the worry and in the end for nothing. P.s. thanks Olson for putting my mind at ease during that.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Samsung galaxy S 4

Well, hopefully it's a great payout to have to deal with custys. Like I said above, a local competitor/friend of mine was sued for $50,000+ over a resturant custy that was still in the resty when they started cleaning. Custy complained about eye damage from pre-spray. I think he settled for much less, but still had to pay Council to represent him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom