Customer Runs Out On Invoice?

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
We did an odor removal job last week. 1,800 dollar job. He wanted us out right away, we got there. Did it, and it was successful. Then the guy tells me what he was trying to get his insurance company to cover it and they won't cover it... tells me he can't afford to pay the invoice...

What would you do?

Name
Bruce
On an $1,800 oder removal job I would have went over payment options first before the job started.

Explain the job to us , I'd really like to know the details.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bruce Humphrey said:
On an $1,800 oder removal job I would have went over payment options first before the job started.

Explain the job to us , I'd really like to know the details.

Well..It was 2 small urine stains about the size of a dime..!

But , this guy was obviously LOADED...6000sf home on a golf course,3 BMW's
in the drive way, & all Ethan Allen furniture... 8)

So...."WHY in the world."...I think that he would "STIFF" me.. :roll:

What is $1800.00 to a guy like this... :?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
bensurdi said:
We did an odor removal job last week. 1,800 dollar job. He wanted us out right away, we got there. Did it, and it was successful. Then the guy tells me what he was trying to get his insurance company to cover it and they won't cover it... tells me he can't afford to pay the invoice...

What would you do?

Familiarize yourself with the "TERM".....C.O.D.. :wink:

Then if he doesn't "pay".....Introduce him to your "DuMp-VaLvE".... :shock:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
What's $1800 to a guy like Ben anyways, probably makes that in 15 minutes in one of those upscale properties he caters to.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I would say crew small claims court................. Put a lien on the property. after all of the fees for that he will be up to about $2600 bucks. You can make him pay all the costs involved with that. That will really piss him off. I do it sometimes.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It is called theft of services if he refuses to pay call your local PD not a bunch of broke dick like us. We look to titans of industry like you for advice not for us to give it

BTW I am going to have my yearly going out of business sale soon and the people dying in this industry like chavez should pay attention

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just had the exact same experience on an large odor job. We were rushed to finish it ASAP but when it came time to pay the owner didn’t have the cash. I think I will have to place a lien by the end of the week. The house is for sale and may get repossessed, so someone will have to pay to get the lien removed plus my fees and interest. The owner started throwing up red flags half way through the project so I made her sign off on a work authorization.

Cleancare

A bit late but for next time.. I used to work in motor insurance claims down here in Oz. If repairers are told insurance is covering repairs, the repairer will not start any work until they receive an authorisation note from the insurance company faxed to them.

I would assume the same for home insurance? If a customer tells you they're going through insurance, I would suggest getting some sort of written confirmation from them first before any work is started.

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. Next time get the details worked out in ADVANCE .

Rob

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
In CA a small claims involving property automatically puts a lien on said property.

I would discuss a payment plan or a trade of some sort. If that doesn't pan out, small claims is pretty good if he owns the property. If not, small claims will still screw him up for 10 years credit wise but you may still never see the money.

Amazing

PD would get involved, they will claim it is a civil suit and refer you to the court system.

Ya have a lawyer on retainer right Ben?

Don't jump to the court system just yet.

Call the guy, explain your hands will be tied if he is not willing to pay the bill.

Just be sure for your sake, that the odor issue is resolved, otherwise his defense either way will be incomplete work.

Paper work will save your ass here, signed work order.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
In my neck of the woods the PD would charge them with theft of services and if the bill were over $250 it is a felony

Amazing

I'd be real surprised Greg.

Not saying PD in your areas would not. But is very uncommon in most areas for police to get involved in theft of services such as carpet cleaning or many other home type services.

Normally theft of services would be covered under stealing cable, bailing on a taxi ride, seeking in to a concert, movie, insurance fraud for treatment etc.

In a lot of cases such as carpet cleaning, odor removal payment is subject to completion of work. If PD arrested and charged a person for with holding payment and was later proved the payer had reason to with hold payment, such as a leaky roof on a roofing job, then PD might face a lawsuit. That is why most PDs will not get involved in civil matters such as carpet cleaning.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Do none of you guys ask for a percentage up front, at least enough to cover your costs if you get ripped? I learned my lesson long ago with a cat house customer - get half up front, if they can't come up with 50% then I say no thanks.

duckster

Collections immediately. Let them take care of the payment schedule and adherence. Have him fill out a credit application first so you are sure to have his SSI number.

duckster

rhino1 said:
Do none of you guys ask for a percentage up front, at least enough to cover your costs if you get ripped? I learned my lesson long ago with a cat house customer - get half up front, if they can't come up with 50% then I say no thanks.

I actually require full payment upfront through PayPal. I don't get as many jobs but everyone of them is paid up.

A

amazingcleansc

kolfer1 said:
What the hell happened to good old handshake?

I dunno. 2 piss stains for $1800 sounds a little bit like sticking it up the guys ass until YOU shake.

I had some really nice people in a mansion bounce me a check last week.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My best friend is the Police Capt here and he has chased down a bounced check for me and told me anytime someone doesn't pay without cause give him a call. If the work is disputed that could be a different thing. It is too bad we are having a discussion on a completely hypotheicl situation because everyone knows Ben Absurdi is lying

Al

I have used the PD for theft of services also. That was for a bad check.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Sounds like you are doing work for "Big Ben" Rothlesberger........he's famous for leaving restaurants and bars without paying the bill here in Pittsburgh.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greg Crowley said:
My best friend is the Police Capt here and he has chased down a bounced check for me and told me anytime someone doesn't pay without cause give him a call. If the work is disputed that could be a different thing. It is too bad we are having a discussion on a completely hypotheicl situation because everyone knows Ben Absurdi is lying

Nail

I believe it would be the Sheriff's dept, not PD.
Unless he is good friend, of course. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom