Customer wants their marble dulled out

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mop it down with some orange juice. :wink:

Once when I needed to prepare a previously polished marble demonstration floor, and we wanted to dull it up for polishing practice or demo, I just dumped some OJ on it, mopped it around and rinsed. Whalah, dull marble.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Jon don sells the stonetech line of chems. The grit number is on each product from smallest to highest. They make a product for dulling the surface thats like a 200 grit. All you do if my memory from the floor tech class serves me right is put the dulling powder on the floor scrub it in with maybe a red pad and keep the powder on the floor wet while you srub and it should take the shine down

Name
Jesse
So I wen't and looked at the "house" and it's got 9,000sf of marble flooring, and about about 1100sf of countertops fof various stones, they also want the counters dulled. The palace was just bought for 14,000,000 and the contractor who had me out there is doing 2,000,000 in impovements. It's only a half acre.
:shock:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Stay away from your acids, they can find their way down into the pores of the stone even marble and continue to to do damage. Go with a monkey pad or a honing powder and a floor machine. And you can always step it down if you are worried bout appearance.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
That is one killer job, hope you land it.

Like others honing powder would work. It not only takes out a lot of scratches but also leaves a nice smooth new surface.

BTW, don't buy the honing powder from Stone Tech, unvbelievably high priced. Look locally for a 200 or 400 grit. If not This Old Grout.

I just bought a few of Cobb's monkey pads for honing travertine. If it works as quickly as honing powder it may be the way to go.

What MP grit are you using for this Ron?.

Albert

CanYouHemiNow

Out Of Character said:
So I wen't and looked at the "house" and it's got 9,000sf of marble flooring, and about about 1100sf of countertops fof various stones, they also want the counters dulled. The palace was just bought for 14,000,000 and the contractor who had me out there is doing 2,000,000 in impovements. It's only a half acre.
:shock:
Maybe you could snap a few pics for us po' folk to drool over? I could use some idears to spruce up the double-wide. shiteatinggrin

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Albert;

I have used 400 grit to leave a honed surface on the floor.

800 would probably also work with a little more satin look.

Larry

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks Larry, I've been honing Travertine after cleaning quite a bit and thought this at least is worth a shot.

How do your pads compare to MP's.

thanks,
Albert

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Agree that a 400 grit Monkey pad / Spinergy pad / Viper pad will do the trick. Depending on how far they want it dulled down, 800 might alos make them happy.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Do you know the type of stones? Are they light or dark colored?

I would try to get some extra tiles & do demos of the different grits before touching the floors or counter tops, many times when several decision makers are involved they think they want one thing but hate it once you start working...a low grit hone on a dark marble probably wont be what they really want.

brzelt

Name
Bruce Zelt
Using most of the methods posted above you are going to be chasing your tail over the
picture frames... except this time the frames are going to be shiny and very obvious.

Using acids will only work on a complete marble where the geologic makeup us consistent.
Or else it will dull certain areas and not others. Looks very bad.

Back
Top Bottom