Custy said it is "too shiny7"

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
We honed and polished a travertine floor last week (220-1800 5X) then the customer thought it was "too shiny" first time someone said "too shiny"...knocked it down a tad with 1500 honing powder with weight

Reactions: Mikey P

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I know totally agree....I called Ted he gave me the advice...I wanted to use 1800 diamonds but he said they would leave the swirl marks...go with the powders to knock it down a bit with a hogs pad :)

Name
cameron demille
yeah, they would leave resin smear. We are going to start stocking the new stone pro pads fiber pads, like the twisters. They have one called LUX, that would probably give you a similar finish.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Fiber Wooly lookin pads you use wit powders an a 175 correct.

Grits the same as sandpaper
Lower the number the more aggresive?

One day I may try this!

"Edited above, I need dilutions for Mopping it down"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"Too shiny"

That is an odd comment. I've walked on commercial floors that were so shiny they looked wet and was cautious at first. But can't see it being a problem in the home.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Mike, You really need to try the Stone Pro Pads.... M-1, M-2, M-3 and L
I have done a couple of jobs now with the M-1, M-2 (floors were in good shape)
and stopped there... it was "just what they were looking for".

M-1 =800 , M-2=1500 , M-3=3000
The "L" is a compound, similar to Powder polish...

Name
cameron demille
Fiber Wooly lookin pads you use wit powders an a 175 correct.

Grits the same as sandpaper
Lower the number the more aggresive?

One day I may try this!

"Edited above, I need dilutions for Mopping it down"

similar to sandpaper, but easier to use. Must use wet to avoid trailing marks. If using diamonds, you go to the same grit as the pad grit, then down with the pad. So they say M1, M2 etc. it's 800, 1500 & 3000 then Lux. I go to 800 resin, then down with the 800 pad, or M1. The pads leave less of a shine then diamonds, but it looks better if you go up with diamonds, then down with the pad, as opposed to trying to progress to the next step with the pads. 400 diamonds then 800 pad won't leave as nice of a finish.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
similar to sandpaper, but easier to use. Must use wet to avoid trailing marks. If using diamonds, you go to the same grit as the pad grit, then down with the pad. So they say M1, M2 etc. it's 800, 1500 & 3000 then Lux. I go to 800 resin, then down with the 800 pad, or M1. The pads leave less of a shine then diamonds, but it looks better if you go up with diamonds, then down with the pad, as opposed to trying to progress to the next step with the pads. 400 diamonds then 800 pad won't leave as nice of a finish.

I can see Lots More Pads on the shelf then huh, Wow.....

Gracias Amigo : )

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
It looks good, but that floor is going to wear down extremely fast. If they have any pets or guests, or a mop, they're not going to be happy.

Cam, can you expand on this

Name
cameron demille
It looks good, but that floor is going to wear down extremely fast. If they have any pets or guests, or a mop, they're not going to be happy.

Cam, can you expand on this

When you bring stone to a complete polish, it mechanically closes the pores of the stone more and more, the higher you go. This creates a high surface tension. This is harder to break through than any other finish. Bringing it to a full polish will actually make the floor more abrasive resistant than this finish.

When you're honing a floor, your 400's cut very quickly after your 220s. Try putting 400 grit resins on a polished floor and see how long it takes to break the surface tension and cut away the polish. The finish that Bill did is pretty much where the floor would be right after the polish started wearing away.

Let's say a polished marble floor goes 2 years or so before it starts showing any wear. The floor is mopped occasionally, frequent guests, etc. The wear will accelerate after that point and the floor will go from just barely showing wear, to heavy traffic patterns within a short period of time, maybe 6 months to a year.

Bill didn't do anything wrong. The upside, is Bill can come in with one step clean/hone to blend the traffic areas without really much effort.

Back
Top Bottom