Very disappointing to see Aramsco selling LVP coatings..

Mikey P

Administrator
#moneygrab...

IMG_20240618_171622~2.jpg

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I haven't done a single coating yet but I'm curious. Why shouldn't one do coatings on lvt and lvp? Is it the texture, contours, faux wood grain and such that makes it a be-atch to get off? Just completely unnecessary and a waste of time to put on and take off in general?

FredC

Village Idiot
Should I remove the urethane coating my LVT came with?

Mikey P

Administrator
I haven't done a single coating yet but I'm curious. Why shouldn't one do coatings on lvt and lvp? Is it the texture, contours, faux wood grain and such that makes it a be-atch to get off? Just completely unnecessary and a waste of time to put on and take off in general?
Is your factory Urethane failing after 18 months?

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes

Reactions: Bryce C

FredC

Village Idiot
Is your factory Urethane failing after 18 months?
I don't know. It's still in the box but I imagine it wears off at some point reducing the scratch and stain resistance. I don't think Mohawk has magic everlasting urethane even though it is put on under better conditions and aftermarket blends would vary in quality.

urethane.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator

I wonder which of these covered the slop and mop application process...

Different manufacturing processes can also influence the overall quality of a luxury vinyl plank’s wear layer. Some methods result in more robust layers that are less prone to damage over time:

• Cured Coatings: Cured coatings apply a liquid coating on the photographic image layer before curing it. This curing process uses ultraviolet light and heat treatments. This process results in a durable surface that resists scratching and staining effectively.
  • In-Mold Labeling: In-mold labeling involves fusing together multiple layers during production. Instead of adding them separately afterward creating stronger bonds between each part. The overall durability is enhanced in this method.
  • Fusion-Bonded Layers: A fusion-bonded process uses heat or pressure to bond all components of the LVP together. This results in a more durable and long-lasting product.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'll have Courtney do mine then when it's time (and see my previous post) ....he has a UV gizmo

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have a customer who has been involved in a performance claim with LVP in a commercial setting.

Some of the manufacturer's reps were giving voice to putting a coating on the floor.

My customer, who knows more than the average cleaner about the stuff questioned the technical people closely.

After he didn't accept a few "non-answers" that sort of said "maybe its ok to put finish on it, they finally said this:

"If the customer notices scuffs on the floor, they should review the cleaning products they have been using. It may be necessary to reset and clean the floor several times with just a damp mop to remove any residue. Applying a new finish is not recommended because it can replace the wear layer and alter the maintenance routine. This could also affect the warranty, as it changes the specified cleaning process. If the customer believes there is a defect with the floor, they should consider filing a claim."

(Bold and Italics mine..)

• Love

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I know a urethane coating has less of a chance to yellow, but it does flake off when it expires. I would hate to strip a water based urethane finish. I’m assuming it needs a more volatile/strong smelling stripper.

I clean carpet at one of the local apt complexes here and I see the contractor mopping on a fresh layer of zep wax on the kitchen LVP after they’re finished renovating the units. It’s probably good the vinyl is brown to help hide the yellowing Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

they live

Name
Steve
Would putting a slop and mop coating on it cause it to stop breathing properly. If you are going to coat it anyway why not use a product like vct that is made to be recoated?
Sounds like a sales issue. Vynil plank doesn't hold up as well as it's being sold to be. Some apartment complexes have gone back to carpet due to poor performance. A local grocery store is having problems with static electricity since switching to vynil.

Back
Top Bottom