Custy won't pay

americlean

How do you handle custy's who refuse to pay. Normally we collect at the job but on occasion we will bill. One of my customers, after dragging me on for a month, said I would have to take him to court. He doesn't have a problem with the work performed, he just doesn't want to part with his cash.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
wow, what a dirt bag

this is a first time custy you trusted to make payment?

res, rental or com?

and not that it matters, but how much is he trying to stiff you for?

oh yea, do you know where he lives?

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
Offer 2 payments terms, times are tough on alot of people, if not send him to collects.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Offer payment terms, ask him what he does, perhaps a trade of services or some other arrangement can be made. Depending on the amount... even referral credits could help offset the bill if he genuinely liked your work and is willing to spread the word?
Court sucks and IMHO is only a last resort if all else fails.

americlean

He told me he was the home owner. Turns our he was a tenant and the homeowner made him have the carpets cleaned. He is out of the house now and figures its not his problem.

Thinking of going after the homeowner for the $200 smackers...

John Watson

Sounds like you are not through learning a $200.00 lesson. Lucky you are getting off cheap. Some dummies who don't make arangments for collecting from first time clients could have been cliped for a lot more..

If the homeowner didn't ask you the he is not liable for what the tennant did.

If you take it to collections from the tennant, a lot of collection agencys arn't interesed in claims under a couple of hundred because the keep half and a lot have the $100 min in there pocket unless you are a volume client..
]

Name
Bruce
Bob probably has extra nails if you need them.

I have a customer that decided after 4 years of cleaning his rentals that he was not going to pay me for the last one I cleaned. I'm sending it to collections , I don't care if I ever see the $245 just as long as it goes on his credit that he didn't pay that bill.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
americlean said:
He told me he was the home owner. Turns our he was a tenant and the homeowner made him have the carpets cleaned. He is out of the house now and figures its not his problem.

Thinking of going after the homeowner for the $200 smackers...

It won't do you any good to go after the home owner...He didn't hire you, the tenant did.

TimP

I have one myself right now that I'm worried about. 176 bucks....been a week almost 2 now. I kinda figured it'd be a problem when they complained about the price. So far I've been paid on all my jobs so if I get 1 in 2 years I guess that's not too bad. I have one that I wait about a month on usually....but she always pays. Some people don't have a grasp on their finances I think.....or are major procrastinators.

However someone who tells you to do a job and refuses doesn't have a leg to stand on. From what I understand 500 or less you can have a verbal contract....however don't go by what I say I'm no lawyer. However I doubt the action to get the money wont be worth what is owed. Collections is probably the best bet...I don't know how it works cause if you don't have SS#'s and all that good stuff I don't know if they can do anything.

John Buxton

I started taking a credit card over the phone or a check when I do the job. I was a bill collector for 2 banks at one time and hated it.

I got stiffed by my tenant that rented a house in 1984. I still keep an eye out for him!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
small claims court. Not sure about VA, but once a guilty verdict is in then you can have the sheriff go collect personal items that can be sold for the balance. This would be court costs and interest. It would be nice to have him served at work, if you know where he works. That will get the rumor mill rolling at work, that alone would be worth.

I used to repo cars from people at work. That was the ultimate payback and last laugh. Principal takes over in a case like this, not the lousy $200.

Bryan

tubguy

Yep! Small claims court. Should be an open and closed case. You get a judgement, garnish his wages. Been there and done that. Sometimes it is in the satisfaction in going after someone and winning.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Get ahold of the owner right away. If the tenant didn't pay then the owner can take payment out of his deposit. Probably screwed the owner as well so that may not work.

Let the tenant know about sending him to collections. I would call the sheriff out just for the hell of it. If you were still at the job and the tenant didn't pay, you can call the sheriff on a civil standby and he can press charges on the guy if he refuses to pay. Not sure you can do that once you are not there.

Small claims court will work if it is worth puting a lein on his property (bank accounts, cars, other). It is a lengthy process that may go no where.

Remember you can sue anybody for anything..winning and actually getting paid is another thing.
Chances are, his credit is screwed already, he is a dirtbag (no pun) and doesn't have anything anyway.

I would just cut my losses, put it on my taxes as a loss and chalk it up to a learning experience.

This happened to me for $100.00... I just figured it was Charity work for the lousy skank.

Oh if you want to be a dick, you can put a lein on the property you cleaned and then he won't be able to sell it without paying you...including interest....but the home owner probably doesn't deserve that.

Lora Olson

A lot of the guys out here put a lien on the property. You'll get paid someday. Don't know the laws in VA, but something to check into. Utah is a much more employer (business) friendly state than others. But worth checking out as a "last resort" type of thing.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The bill would have to be double what it is before I would waste my time chasing some loser around for, and my family is in the collection business.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I think it would be hard to slap a lien on the property when the property owner did not call you or even agree to have you do the work.

T

The Magician

I have a big sharp hunting knife that fits real well into 4 tires. :lol:

Fred Homan

If it is possible, call/go to the guy and and say HEY ASSHOLE....I want to get paid like NOW! You better SHIT some $$$

Able 1

Name
Keith
Don't really care at that point as far as the money it's princapal... F them they can pay the collection company.

G

I have a lady I cleaned a sofa, loveseat, and 2 chairs for $120. She made a big deal about me getting the urine smell out. Once I'm finished, I expected her to pay me. Well to my dismay, she tells me she doesn't have the money right now. What!!!!

She told me to wait 2 weeks once she got paid. Well, I waited 2 weeks and show up at her door. Her son tells me shes at work, but to call her. So I call her and she tells me she won't have the money until she gets the room rented. What!!!

Now she tells me she will call me once she gets her room rented. She told me I'm first on her list to pay. I will be calling next week.

Ernie G

Hey Matthew, I'm often amazed how people can do that to a service person who just worked so hard for them and did such a great job. These type of people are so inconsiderate, and must have no conciounce.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Larry B said:
I think it would be hard to slap a lien on the property when the property owner did not call you or even agree to have you do the work.

If the lease agreement requires a carpet cleaning and the tenant has you clean it then you can get away with it.

The cleaning comes out of the pocket of the tenant eventually if the home owner has half a nut.
That deal was done in writing...hopefully.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom