D O T Numbers and the BIG trucks

RUGMAN1969

You guy's that are running the big trucks/Vortex/Aerotech ets .. Are you required to have US DOT numbers displayed on your trucks???
I ask as today we was told that our 15 foot GMC cube van required them. At this time I am still investigating this fact.
THANK YOU...MJF

G

US DOT numbers are federal and not state specific. If you're using a rig for commercial purposes (business) you're required to register if your rig is over 10,000 pounds. The only exception is if you're a farmer and you don't cross state lines.

My advice...check with the authorities.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
When we got ours we went in and checked and that is what we were told...because of my weight fell under the "AZ" guide lines we are not required to have dot #'s...............

Mine is registered as a commercial but runs vanity plates not commercial plates

Interstate surface and for hire vehicles are required (trucking company's)

to have a dot #.........from what I was told..........

Becker

Name
Becker
I have to think it is a state by state thing.

Port of entry halt over weight trucks all the time.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
DOT only apply if you are a commercial carrier or truck &trailer transport with a combined load over 20,000 lbs or commercial transport of passengers

opps i meant 10,000 not 20

Billy

Name
BH
Shawn D. Beagle said:
US DOT numbers are federal and not state specific. If you're using a rig for commercial purposes (business) you're required to register if your rig is over 10,000 pounds. The only exception is if you're a farmer and you don't cross state lines.

My advice...check with the authorities.

I checked this out & Shawn you are correct any commercial vehicle over 10,000 lbs is subject to having a US DOT number except for a few exemptions if I read correctly that is. There was a questionnaire here https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_registration.prc_option needless to say was a surprise to me based on all info given by others. Oh well at least it is free.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea it sucks we have had to go through the DOT paperwork for the last several years now.

Just as Shawn said 10,000 Lbs, we also have to keep a log book and each driver must has a DOT physical & an annual inspection on the trucks.

We spent some time on the phone a few years ago and most agreed that that law was not intended for us, but it's the law and they are basically enforcing it to collect more taxes.

SUX!

G

I was driving on Capitola Rd. between 7th and 17th ave 2 days ago. There was a California highway patrolman doing truck checks. He looked for the steel plate on the inside of the cab to see if my truck needed to have a CA or a DOT #. He said that he could not find the plate,but he did say they if the truck wieghed over 10,000 Lb's it did needed a #. I told him I was a Cop so he might of taken it easy on me.

P.S. my vortex wieghs over 10,000 unladen.

Jeff

Scott

There are all kinds of extra requirements of a DOT vehicle. To name a few:

1) Log Book
2) Physical
3) Safety cones
4) Placards
5) Inspection

If you're driving a BIG RIG, definitely check with DOT before you get pulled over. The fines are no fun!

Admittedly we've never been pulled over, but my buddy Scott Tarpley has been pulled over many times and has paid thousands in fines over the years. He is running big rigs and is a large target, but a Vortex or AT isn't much smaller than what he runs.

Scott

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I asked a guy once what the "not for hire" on the side of his truck was for...as it was a biz truck...

he said it was so he didnt have to stop at the DOT scales or have the number, because he wasnt transporting anything besides himself and his OWN stuff...

when i had my trailer & truck combo, i was over 12k, stopped at a checkpoint once and they all gave me a funny look...told them "hey better safe then sorry" from then on i never did and never got asked about it...when i was pulled over for other things..

same with my smaller trailer...i had expired plates when i found out that size didnt need plates....he told me"either run the plates legal or not at all" so now with this new trailer which is still under the "weight" i run no plates...never been pulled over either

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Looking around I don’t think USDOT applies unless you meet the definition of a common or contract motor carrier and engaged in interstate commerce.

“The USDOT number is the number that the FMCSA assigns to each motor carrier that starts interstate operations. Your USDOT number must be marked on all of your vehiclesâ€ÂÂ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom