Dan Gardner, MB Superstar!

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Congrats to MB resident Scientists!

Hey Dan-- When should I replace my microwave oven? It works but the paint inside is coming off exposing the metal. It doesn't spark or anything... but I did put my cell phone inside it (with microwave off!) And the phone did ring-- does this means its leaking?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Thanks John!

Microwave ovens are relatively inexpensive, so I would recommend you replace it if just for peace of mind.

That having been said, the "cell phone" test is not a reliable indicator of leakage. Consumer ovens operate at a frequency of 2450 mhz (megahertz). Cell phones are all over the map - anywhere from 800 mhz on up depending on the carrier and type of phone. The oven shielding (especially the door seal) is frequency dependent and designed to be most effective at 2450 mhz. Phone sensitivity varies, distance from the cell tower varies, etc. The oven shielding is not 100% perfect even in a brand new, modern oven. By regulation they are allowed to leak a certain amount. A perfect RF (radio frequency) seal is just not possible.

There are microwave leakage instruments available but decent, reliable ones can cost nearly as much as the oven itself ($150 - $400 ish).

I'd say treat yourself to a new oven! Who wants peeling paint flaking into their food? If you really want to accurately test for leakage:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/extech/gastesters/microwave-leakage-detector-emf300.htm

An oven is considered safe if the leakage detector registers less than 5 at a distance of 5 centimeters (about 2 inches) from any part of the oven. The 5 leakage units are in milliwatts per square centimeter (not that it matters!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom