Dangerous Enzymes.............. ???

Jamesh921

Name
James
Found this posted in the specs of a prespray on a website.

Heavy Traffic Area Pre-Spray

The most powerful high performance liquid, degreases the toughest caked on grime imaginable. This product will de-grease just about any situation and takes the place of those dangerous enzyme products.

What do they mean by "dangerous enzyme products"?

Thanks

Mack Justice

Name
Mack Justice
The main problem is it came from the Cross American website.

I don't know if enzymes are dangerous or not but ANYTHING they claim should be taken with a grain of salt.

Enzymes have been known to cause upper respiratory allergic reactions. If this happens to infants, their throat could close while they are sleeping. This is known as infant sudden death syndrome.

This is one of the reasons Judson Labs is trying to develop products that do not use enzymes. Enzymes are very temperamental to use. High temperature and high Ph stops the effectiveness of enzymes.

les

Jamesh921

Name
James
Enzymes have been known to cause upper respiratory allergic reactions in infants. This is where an infants throat closes usually while sleeping. This is why it is undetected and they die.

Seriously????

I've never heard this before. It certainly wasn't brought up in any of the IICRC classes.

If this is true, then why hasn't the gov't put a stop to the use of enzymes?

Where can I find "credible" documentation of this claim?

Jamesh921 said:
Enzymes have been known to cause upper respiratory allergic reactions in infants. This is where an infants throat closes usually while sleeping. This is why it is undetected and they die.

Seriously????

I've never heard this before. It certainly wasn't brought up in any of the IICRC classes.

If this is true, then why hasn't the gov't put a stop to the use of enzymes?

Where can I find "credible" documentation of this claim?
This is a result of research I did years ago. I will try to locate the information for you. Probably just Google upper respiratory reactions and enzymes. I don’t think it is that common of an occurrence, but it is something I don’t want to have anything to do with if possible.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Yea....I mean..... if there's even the SLIGHTEST POSSIBILITY of killing someone's child, that is NOT COOL!! And I would never use an enzyme in someone's home again if it's true.

But, I need verification that this is even a possibility.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I use magic wands grease eater which has enzymes. No problem whatsoever. Let the babies crawl on my nice clean floors. I would think the enzymes would be good for cleaning for children

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
the main problem i have heard and experienced with them is this.....

they will start to eat your skin......

rinse that shit off... it eats proteins....and your skin is a protein.....thus rinse it off.....

and some of them NEED HOT water to activate and wake their ass up

Am I wrong here?

I thought enzymes were amino acids or byproducts from bacteria.

Enzymes are not living organisms. The bacteria is, but the enzyme is just an amino acid that speeds the chemical reaction or digestion of proteins.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
danielc said:
Am I wrong here?

I thought enzymes were amino acids or byproducts from bacteria.

Enzymes are not living organisms. The bacteria is, but the enzyme is just an amino acid that speeds the chemical reaction or digestion of proteins.

Daniel, you are correct. Enzymes are not living organisms, they are proteins and amino acids that speed up the digest of certain organic food sources. Basically the bacteria (living organisms) use this as a chemical to digest food outside of their body.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Les is correct that enzymes have been associated with allergic reactions and infant death. The cause is believed to be inhaled enzyme powders.

To prevent inhalation of the enzyme in powder form, all the enzymes that I know of in our industry are in a liquid form or they use a coated or encapsulation rather than simply a powder. This coating on the enzyme takes a significant time and water temperature to dissolve completely. By the time the coating dissolves, the enzyme has little time to work.

If you want to test this, take a spoonful of a powdered enzyme product in some hot tap water and see who quickly it dissolves.

Therefore many enzyme products also make use of high pH to do the cleaning. In these cases "enzyme" is the marketing buzz-word. High pH is the real cleaner.

As another precaution, I prefer to spray enzyme products with a pump-up sprayer and a large spray tip at a moderate pressure. This does not aerosolize the product and leave enzymes in the air where they can be inhaled.

Bob Foster

Now that sounds more like it. I think you can find information on almost all the active ingredients in the solutions we work with that they are unsafe or dangerous. Its the levels of their use and how we use them that make them safe.

To infer that enzymes that we use in this industry and the way we use them is unsafe is not really appropriate. I can show you remarks made by people in this industry that say the exact same thing about citrus or more specifically citrus turpentine. I believe those remarks about citrus were also being used out of context and as a form of scaremongering.

Bob Foster

The content of Slop and Gobble and its high pH content are why it is so good on restaurants. It would also explain possibly why products like Esteam Attack or Chemspec Enzall might possibly work better if applied at lower than real hot temperatures given that the very high heat might be destroying some of enzymes before they do their job eating the food service proteins. And like Scott was saying its really the high pH and heat that is really doing the cleaning on the restaurants.

I have used enzyme extensively on restaurants and have found on the two restaurants that I used to do with enzyme that when I used Slop and Gobble on them I think they came out better. Slop and Gobble is less expensive to use too.

Bob Foster

The enzymes we use in our pre-spray are causing respiratory problems in babies. I don't buy it. Painting all enzymes as the same and forgetting about the amounts and applications is ridiculous.

Bob Foster

So are we saying everything we use is unsafe? Yes it is if used incorrectly.

Sunlight causes cancer and........ we all going to die from it. Quick everyone run for cover!!!!

Horsepucky scaremongering by people that have something else they want to sell. But I guess EPA and the FDA are part of a left wing conspiracy to stop the real truth from coming out.

Bob Foster said:
we all going to dye from it. Quick everyone run for cover!!!!

judsonshow022.jpg

5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9051X3sj45]

Bob Foster

Good gawd you were a skinny guy back then. You do look like you were thinking about the weekend and not the carpet.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
meAt said:
Bob Foster said:
horsepucky

what is, Bob??

Kawasaki syndrome or killing babies by using enzyme pre-sprays :roll:

..L.T.A.

yeah and how much shit in your canned foods will kill ya to???

how in the F can you say that a CC prespray powder will kill ya......dont you mix this shit out side and not on the changing table???

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
yeah and how much shit in your canned foods will kill ya to???

dude, it ain't what's in 'em that dangerous
I quit shaving with tin can lids ever since i got the 6 cents a sf bid on the chinese RATstaurant
I've been able to buy razor blades now.
I pay the crack/meth addict that works for me 10 bukz a month to steal them from wal-mart for me.... :shock: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Kernm1229

Leslie Jones makes a contribution to an important topic: constant improvement in the safety and effectiveness of tools used in the cleaning profession.

Some other factors need to be considered, however, to put things in perspective:
* Enzymes are complex proteins that are biological catalysts. (Proteins are made from amino acids. A protein is like a chain and the amino acids are the links in that chain.) A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in that reaction. Sort of a recycling program!
* Living organisms are extremely reliant on hundreds of enzymes found in every nook and cranny of every cell.
* While enzymes can cause allergic responses, these responses are hardly confined to enzymes. Many substances found in common materials around the house are potential allergens. Such substances include: certain foods, cat dander, latex, pine sap, dust mites, etc.

* Enzymes are safely used in hundreds of consumer and industrial products every day. Meat tenderizer, laundry presoaks, toothpaste, baby food, dietary supplements used for lactose intolerance, one’s own saliva and the human digestive system all use enzymes.
* When using enzymes, as with any other tool, there is such a thing as proper and improper use. We typically avoid misting any type of cleaning product into the air . We also avoid allowing cleaning products to dry on surfaces before rinsing them away.
* Some enzymes are indeed temperamental relative to temperature and pH. Obviously these parameters are under the control of a professional cleaner. Indeed the surfaces and cleaning processes themselves often require tight control.
* If you check statistics on causes of death in infants, there is little evidence to support enzymes as a contributing factor. Even within the context of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), the causes are usually related to accidental suffocation, low birth weight and congenital defects.

randy

Name
Randy
Kernm1229 said:
Leslie Jones makes a contribution to an important topic: constant improvement in the safety and effectiveness of tools used in the cleaning profession.

Some other factors need to be considered, however, to put things in perspective:
* Enzymes are complex proteins that are biological catalysts. (Proteins are made from amino acids. A protein is like a chain and the amino acids are the links in that chain.) A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in that reaction. Sort of a recycling program!
* Living organisms are extremely reliant on hundreds of enzymes found in every nook and cranny of every cell.
* While enzymes can cause allergic responses, these responses are hardly confined to enzymes. Many substances found in common materials around the house are potential allergens. Such substances include: certain foods, cat dander, latex, pine sap, dust mites, etc.

* Enzymes are safely used in hundreds of consumer and industrial products every day. Meat tenderizer, laundry presoaks, toothpaste, baby food, dietary supplements used for lactose intolerance, one’s own saliva and the human digestive system all use enzymes.
* When using enzymes, as with any other tool, there is such a thing as proper and improper use. We typically avoid misting any type of cleaning product into the air . We also avoid allowing cleaning products to dry on surfaces before rinsing them away.
* Some enzymes are indeed temperamental relative to temperature and pH. Obviously these parameters are under the control of a professional cleaner. Indeed the surfaces and cleaning processes themselves often require tight control.
* If you check statistics on causes of death in infants, there is little evidence to support enzymes as a contributing factor. Even within the context of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), the causes are usually related to accidental suffocation, low birth weight and congenital defects.

Excellent Mike, thank you for posting this. I actually use digestive enzymes from the health food store. Read the label and the same enzymes are used in some cleaning products.

Kernm1229

Les:

Another important contribution would be any documentation of the infant respiratory problems that you suggest. Given the severity of this type of situation, it would be great to cite specific examples or reports.

Will look forward to more details from you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom