Dark Day

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I agree with finding part time work also.
The other marketing ideas are good, but still a gamble. It does not sound like you can afford to loose any more time. If they don't pan out, your in a bigger hole than you are now.
The one BIGGEST mistake I made in this business when I started it up over 3 years ago was to not keep working part time. I fell into the trap of waiting for the phone to ring, and the belief that the windfall was always right around the corner. Big F'n mistake that was.
Even if I had a great week, if the following week was slow, it was a wash. It's the part time income that balances the slow weeks, and can keep your head above water. As Shane said, it's a building process over several years.
One of my fears regarding working part time was that I would have to turn customers down if I could not accommodate them due to part time work, and that I would miss the boat when it finally came around, but that was the furthest from the truth. Yes, I have lost a couple of jobs because I could not accommodate them, but add up the part time income during that period and it is a no brainer, plus, if you were booked solid, you would be turning away even more people, so don't let the fear of loosing out on a small percentage of business sink you.

Unless you need to sell your equipment for cash purposes, there is no reason to shut things down.
Find some steady work, and cherrypick as much carpet work as you can until you stabilize things.

It may seem like there are a lot of bigshots here, but I can assure you most of them can remember the hardships of getting off the ground.
No shame in working part time.
I still spin pies at my buddies Pizzeria 20-30 hours a week, and even more through the coldest months.

Last edited:

Scott Rogers

I see quite a few good suggestions above. but not one has asked if you have identified the problem? What is the main contributer to your lack of business. Once that is identified then it will be easier for you to make a decision on whether it best to push forward with your existing business, relaunch under a new name or walk away.

Are other cleaners in your area working?
Are you receiving any referrals?
Are you receiving more employment request then cleaning request?

I could ask 100 questions that would help determine if this is a economic issue in your area, a marketing issue with you past campaigns, or a service issue with your past clientele.

You need to identify the problem first. Then determine a course to over come the obstacles or determine if it is actually worth your time to continue.

If you determine to continue or relaunch under a new name. Start with gurrella marketing (fliers and door hangers) cost is next to nothing. Identify and correct any mistakes that led to your current situation and try not to repeat them.

Reactions: hogjowl and BLewis

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How long have you've been at it??

It doesn't happen over night .
If less than 4-5 years, (and you're getting referrals) you just haven't "arrived" yet.
if you're past the 4-5 year mark and still struggling to make money, time to get a real job or determine what the problems are that need fixed

if it was "easy", everyone would do it

..L.T.A.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Well this just sucks. No whining, bitching or blaming from me. It seems I may have become a stat. I think I may have to shut down. I have done everything I know to do but can't stay afloat with the amount of work I have. I have return clients and reoccurring accounts but just not enough. My advertising budget is wiped out. I'm going to keep going for a bit just because I'm not a quitter but reality is kicking me in the boys. Any last ditch advice?
Wow, Dan, Mikeysboard at it's finest. You made a sincere and honest plea for help and not one person handed you your head back on a plate. (Of course, Sutley is MIA on this thread.) You have received a lot of great advice here including the need to get a temporary job and how to get your cash flow started.

But let me hit you with the old "Why and What" as in "WHY did you get to this desperate spot?" and "WHAT do you want to do with your life?" Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur and there is no shame in admitting this and moving on. OR you could try the full time career type job while keeping your referral business to do on nights and weekends. (Maybe look for a job that let's you work 4 10 hour shifts per week.)

Also I don't know your family situation but can your wife/girlfriend get a job? (Or even better get them BOTH working. Just kidding here- trying to add a bit of inappropriate levity.) Or if she is working now how about you both get an extra part time job to fill in on the budget temporarily?

Steve

PS IF (and it is a big "IF"!) you decide you want to stay full time in this business, Dan, then crank it up. To get immediate cash flow cheaply the best tactic is door-to-door sales. I had a Rochester, NY cleaner write me with this question a while back and I sent him a pretty darn good door-to-door script HERE. Try it out and report back.

Reactions: Jerry and Connor

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks to Steve for your helpful post and it reminds me of another thing that really stuck with me from the beginning ( not sure this is exact)
The Hardest Door to Get Through Is Your Own Front Door!

Reactions: Art Kelley

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
There was some good advise in there. I would call all your past customers you haven't cleaned for in 12-18 months. Let them know you have a Special Spring House Cleaning Package. Or if you can find some money put an add in the newspaper to really spread the word.

I wouldn't offer a dollar amount or % discount off. Keep all the money for yourself..

Offer a bonus service or something extra if people book a job with you on the spot for a smaller job; deodorizer, protector for heaviest traffic lanes, spotter bottle if you have them.

Let them know if they book a bigger job; over $225-275-300 (whatever your price points are) of carpet cleaning they qualify for a free recliner, loveseat or 6 foot couch cleaning, free hallway and stairs, tile/grout cleaning. (for example). Who can say no to getting their furniture cleaned for free (or discounted) as part of a bulk package. (just make sure you know your costs so you don't lose money.)

I think Jim Martin ran a promotion where customer's names were put in a drawing for a laptop but you could substitute an ipad, Kindlefire HD ( those are pretty cheap ). Depending how much they spend will determine how many chances they get. Set aside some of your earnings to purchase the prize so there is no money out of your pocket.

If the customer is happy, get a testimonial. Work with local newspaper to get some free pub announcing the winner of the contest and thanking all other customers you cleaned for. Maybe mention offering to make a donation to Wounded Warriors or some other deserving charity. Buy a bunch of school supplies and donate them to a local elementary school.

I know this goes against what I said in the beginning but leverage as much goodwill you can. Everyone knows someone who's been affected by the last ten years of combat for our troops and their families.

That would be a start.. maximize your current customer list. It's the least expensive way to start and they are already familiar with your work. If they say not now, ask if they know a family member, friend, co-worker who might be interested in taking advantage of your special cleaning offer... even if they aren't sure, just keep them on the phone talking.. do any have pets, allergies? etc.. not high pressure just a conversation.

Good luck.
Bill Morgan

Last edited:

G Man

Name
Joseph Gilstrap
Sox, do you really like carpet cleaning? If the answer is a definitive "YES", then don't quit. When I started my business, 11 years ago, I just about starved the first year. I was working 3 jobs before the first year was over; Sales at Sears hardware dept., window cleaning and carpet cleaning.
Spent all of my savings and was living on money borrowed from the bank. It was an incredibly tough time. Marketing did very little for me. People read my ads, but they didn't know anything about me. I believe that I found the key, (besides doing a great job). I had to find a way to last long enough until "word of mouth referrals" took off. I treated every job that I did like my financial future depended on that very job. After months of giving people the best cleaning that they ever had, my name started to get around.
My first year was dismal. My business doubled in the second year and I quit my job at Sears. Then business doubled again in the 3rd and 4th year and has grown steadily since then.

Why did I stick with it? Because I literally hated everything that I did for a living prior to carpet cleaning and I absolutely fell in love with carpet cleaning and plan on doing it until I retire.

Good luck to you Sox.

Mikey P

Administrator
Unless you know tons of homeowners from prior jobs, wife's circle, church, neighbors, family, etc you must rely on the web to find you enough work to get by.

Flooring retailers don't cut it anymore, either do real estate agents or interior decorators or any of the other tried and true referral sources from 2005.

1. get jiggy with Service Monster FMS so the jobs you do land, NEVER forget about you.
2. fix that horrible website of yours.

THE WEB IS KING!!

Reactions: Soxpac

Mikey P

Administrator
and like Joe says above me, clean the carpet real well but more importantly be a good helpful, friendly and funny human that they love and know they can trust to be left alone next time.

and PLEASE be honest with yourself and look in the mirror. Are you twitchy, butt ugly, lazy eye, downzy, lop sided, smelly....

Would YOU leave YOU alone with your teenage daughter? :eekk:

If you come acreoss like this guy, just go get a job..

http://youtu.be/LAY1J5VOs1U

Last edited:

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Mikey your warm and fuzzies are that of fairy tales. Yeah I'm working on the job thing. I'm gonna step back and tackle one thing at a time.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
There was some good advise in there. I would call all your past customers you haven't cleaned for in 12-18 months. Let them know you have a Special Spring House Cleaning Package. Or if you can find some money put an add in the newspaper to really spread the word.

I wouldn't offer a dollar amount or % discount off. Keep all the money for yourself..

Offer a bonus service or something extra if people book a job with you on the spot for a smaller job; deodorizer, protector for heaviest traffic lanes, spotter bottle if you have them.

Let them know if they book a bigger job; over $225-275-300 (whatever your price points are) of carpet cleaning they qualify for a free recliner, loveseat or 6 foot couch cleaning, free hallway and stairs, tile/grout cleaning. (for example). Who can say no to getting their furniture cleaned for free (or discounted) as part of a bulk package. (just make sure you know your costs so you don't lose money.)

I think Jim Martin ran a promotion where customer's names were put in a drawing for a laptop but you could substitute an ipad, Kindlefire HD ( those are pretty cheap ). Depending how much they spend will determine how many chances they get. Set aside some of your earnings to purchase the prize so there is no money out of your pocket.

If the customer is happy, get a testimonial. Work with local newspaper to get some free pub announcing the winner of the contest and thanking all other customers you cleaned for. Maybe mention offering to make a donation to Wounded Warriors or some other deserving charity. Buy a bunch of school supplies and donate them to a local elementary school.

I know this goes against what I said in the beginning but leverage as much goodwill you can. Everyone knows someone who's been affected by the last ten years of combat for our troops and their families.

That would be a start.. maximize your current customer list. It's the least expensive way to start and they are already familiar with your work. If they say not now, ask if they know a family member, friend, co-worker who might be interested in taking advantage of your special cleaning offer... even if they aren't sure, just keep them on the phone talking.. do any have pets, allergies? etc.. not high pressure just a conversation.

Good luck.
Bill Morgan

i did a lap top one year and a few years later I did the ipad......both more then paid for themselfs.....the object was.....in a 6 month period....who could give me the most referrals .......

in the end...we gained a lot of new clients from the contest.......and more referrals from them.....

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Sox, do you really like carpet cleaning? If the answer is a definitive "YES", then don't quit... Why did I stick with it? Because I literally hated everything that I did for a living prior to carpet cleaning and I absolutely fell in love with carpet cleaning and plan on doing it until I retire.
"Papa Nick" Paolella is famous for saying, "Find a 'job' you love and you will never 'work' another day in your life." Truer words were never spoken. (At 78 Nick still comes in to "work" every day because he loves it.)

Steve

PS Or a related saying is, "Do what you love and the money will follow." But Sox, as you are finding out the "do" part is much more than moving a wand over carpet. (Even though I loved putting on a show for my customers with the incredible contrast between the dirty and the clean carpet.)

To survive (much less prosper) in this business you must view yourself as an entrepreneur and not just as a rug sucker. If you don't "love" the management and marketing side then find a good job (no shame in that) and stick with it. Not everyone is cut out for being their own boss.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Are you kidding me! Commercial will save this guy.

What give away $10 Wal-Mart cards? This guy has no money. Give away $50 in free cleaning cards.

Go door to door people find this threatening in this day and age. Hire people to do this? Again he has no money he is about to close.

The uniform is a good idea

Flyer's might work if they look great.

Marketing is about knowing your audience.

Are you kidding me! Commercial will save this guy.-Will KILL THIS GUY! Chasing commercial work with a portable trying to beat ridicules truckmount prices would be a SERIOUS WASTE OF TIME. He will make more of one home then he will from 5 Chinese restaurants.

What give away $10 Wal-Mart cards? This guy has no money. Give away $50 in free cleaning cards. AFTER the Job is Completed and Paid. Stopping at Wal Mart to pick up a gift card for $10 with the money he just got paid is easy and isn't out of pocket.
Go door to door people find this threatening in this day and age. Hire people to do this? Again he has no money he is about to close.-It is only threating if your are threatening. Ask Nick..As to hiring someone that was a LAST RESORT and we are talking about IDEAS not do it my way or else...

your card Idea is a good one as are many of the others that have been given but they are IDEAS and not end all and be all look at everything that take what you can use immediately and go try them. If one doesn't work try the next and the next until you find something that works. The key thing is DO SOMETHING AND DO IT NOW!

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

:bullshit:You don't know WTF you're talking about John. 80% of my business is commercial. I don't chase residential because they don't pay worth shit True, I don't go chasing restaurants, but there's a lot of under served commercial jobs available. That's some of the shittiest advice I've seen in a while.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
umm ok. The guys is broke ready to go out of buisnes and you want him to go work for .06 a foot (with aportable) and wait 30 days to get paid or more...yep sounds like :bullshit: to me.....Or he can knock on a few doors book the job on the spot get paid and knock on some more doors book another job do the work and get paid and get1-2 refferals from each of those jobs..Yep chasing $80 commercial jobs sounds like a great way to keep from going out of buisness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom