Data Center Cleaning/White Glove

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
A friend of mine has a governmental contract for data on a large military base. He invited me to come out and bid on a server room that needs cleaning. The pipes, ceiling, cabinets, walls, under the sub-floor and sub floor needs to be spotless and inspected. The floor needs to be waxed too. I went out and bid on the thing. Did a little research ad came up with 5k for the place. That price is pretty high for a 1600 sqft server room so I through the number out thinking if I got it I would figure it out somehow.

I did get the job so now I'm trying to study up to find out the best tricks to do a job like this. Any ideas?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I would think the biggest concearn in a room full of data servers would be dust and airborn pollutants, and not kicking them up in the cleaning proccess.
A HEPA shop-vac with all the attachments might come in handy.

Do you know EXACTLY what they want you to do?

Bob Foster

EDIT

Ask where its safe to plug your equipment into and only use grounded equipment. The dirty electrical transients that come off of cheap motors typically found in floor polishers and vacuum cleaners can raise havoc with sensitive equipment on the same circuit.

Make sure all connections to hoses with liquid in them are tight.

Removal of humidly in the room is important. Their AC should do that but make sure they have it on when and after your working.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
You simply MUST use this, or a vacuum equivelant:

http://www.pro-team.com/pt/vacuums/default.aspx?style=1&id=100667

I've been in clean room situations before as well as health care which mandate this. you'll need to be able to reach and not break your back in the same process.

Stripping and waxing? Plan on perfection. No "hairs" from the pads, clean edges and corners. Once you get it this way I'd consider a burnisher to keep it looking top-shelf. They'll lay off of you after the fact.

Remember: Never use the orange outlets :)

G

Hello,
One consideration is the floor/sub floor relationship. The floor is probabley 18 inches to 2 feet above the sub floor. I suspect it will be made of 2 by 2 foot tiles which can be pulled with a suction handle. When you clean the floor any excess moisture can seep into the sub floor. There will be a large number of power cables. You do not want to short out one of the cables. Not to be melodramatic but t would be a very bad thing. There will be an officer and probably a civilian contractor in charge of the physical room. You need to work closely with them.
Best wishes,
Barry O’Connell
www.SpongoBongo.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom