Day 1 in San Fran

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
No pics but Jerry Valentine is a great host. Caught up with Greenie and Damian, learned about the new Poly carpet and LEEDS and a busn op with infra red camera. Supply stores down here are like a Christmas Wish store compared to what I have on Van Isl !! All the toys are here, yet on the island I mention cool cuffs and they say "What???"
1st day was worth the trip and the course starts tomorrow.

Thanks Jerry!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
BTW Day 2
Learned some very handy methods/system of cleaning uph today, learned about a new tool for spot cleaning, much is review but there's enough to learn .

Can't beat the weather either! Boy is it warm down here. Its 830 and just feels comfortable. Probably get cold when I leave. shiteatinggrin

C

cucu

Hey Ron . i have to say im sorry.....
I forgot to ask if he wanted dinner. i got home at about 10.30pm and my wife asked where we had gone for dinner . So i said oh shit i forgot to eat, ahwell we did get lunch about 2 or 3 in the afternoon

sorry bout that

today would have been better i did the job in san fran , then had to go clean a cop car (bio job)and then did 2 apartments...got home at 6pm for breakfast,lunch and dinner....now im hungry again

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Have a good time Ron while the rest of BC starts the annual winter mould..... !gotcha!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Mikey P said:
Wannabees...dude.

You do one job a day.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Actually I'm pretty sure half the guys here do too...

Mikey P

Administrator
Maybe Chris, but if you want to be an artist go blow glass, paint church ceilings, take photos of wild Marmacets being born or make murals out of matchbook collections you picked up on the street for the last 25 years..

DON'T give me this "I'm practicing my craft" bullshit. Sucking dog piss is not art, no matter how slow you move your vacuum or how well you post groom

You're either a maid/janitor who owns his job OR you own a business and you yourself are a marketing person slash manger slash owner.

Nothing wrong with the first option, just be honest about it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If saying Cleaning artist boost his low self esteem as a piss sucker so be it!

Simply a flight of fancy., Napoleon complex , Whatever........

C

cucu

oh please nobody could ever think im a artist...
i just put the jobs off on the other truck so it kept my day easy .
im getting old...and feeling it too

today i done 3 jobs. And started a painting crew on 4 paint jobs, to be done over the next few days...(this could be fun)

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
oh here's more of that BS about O/O's owning a job and not having a busn

The course was worth every penny. I had started to get a little lax in my procedures, I've also not had the opportunity to actually clean a $350/yd piece of fabric. I have a better understanding, better approach/procedure to safely clean any fabric.

We were talking about pricing. The range went from $22 to $70/linear foot.

I would highly recommend this class for any cleaner, esp someone that is new.

Oh, and btw, I successfully steam cleaned a piece of toilet paper. Yes, it is a gimick, but knowing how to clean a fabric that fragile gives a lot of confidence.
10-10-15SanFranUphclass12.jpg

That and cleaning all kinds of spots. Of course not all spots come off.
10-10-15SanFranUphclass13.jpg
10-10-15SanFranUphclass16.jpg

And I had a Greenie siting. Jerry took me over Tues to the supplier where he works. Saw him again Fri. Doing well. Really nice catching up with him.
10-10-15SanFranUphclass24.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Well Ron,

How much could you sell your" business" for today?
Could you find a buyer?
What would they actually be getting besides your Pee Chee folder, a tm and a worn out Clear Track? Would you guarantee them that all of your client base would stick around if they failed to provide the" Werner" experience?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Mikey P said:
Well Ron,

How much could you sell your" business" for today?

2 grand for his phone number, and whatever his equipment is worth at its depreciation. If hes a good salesman he might be able to BS them some value of his database and get a 1 years company gross out of it.

In this economy only his hard assets are worth a crap.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:
DON'T give me this "I'm practicing my craft" bullshit. Sucking dog piss is not art, no matter how slow you move your vacuum or how well you post groom

You're either a maid/janitor who owns his job OR you own a business and you yourself are a marketing person slash manger slash owner.

Nothing wrong with the first option, just be honest about it.

If what we do was such a commodity, I wouldn't have customers waiting weeks for me to come to their homes. There are hundreds of companies in my area, some just as big as Hagopian who can come out the next day. Good cleaning is very definitely an art.

The last mailer I received from Joe Polish he was lamenting about his time as a carpet cleaner. He was whining about sucking dog piss in a hot room and how he couldn't take it anymore. He had to find a better way to make a living. Well he sure found a way, Convince a room full of cleaners they are nothing more than janitors unless they become managers.

Continue on this path Mike and Connnoisseur will be indistinguisable from ProCarpet.

Mikey P

Administrator
Dealing with homeowners is an art, Art, cleaning carpet in an learned skill.

Mrs Pift waits for YOU becuase she trusts and likes you. The fact that your carpets don't wick and dry quick is very much secondary.

If you spent 2 hours pre vacuuming her bed room do you think she would wait even longer to get you out?

If you put your stamp of approval on your technitions and they too give good face, you can create a real buisness that provides quality results, has a great reputation and allows you to have a life out side of dog piss soak floors.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
SUre I can start hiring guys to do the work,then I can have all the headaches I've been hearing about.
What could I get for it? Probably more than you think. Selling a busn can be done in different ways, more profitably.

AS the guy with a job, I needed time off to go on a course and my boss gave it to me.
He even paid for everything.
As the owner, I've been away for a week. I've some jobs to book in the morning. I've no problems to fix, no unhappy custies to deal with, and no broken equipment. I had a relaxing trip and learned a lot.

Perhaps one day I'll have the perfect busn like you, till then I guess I'll just have to make do with my "job".

Mikey P

Administrator
As the owner, I've been away for a week. I've some jobs to book in the morning. I've no problems to fix, no unhappy custies to deal with, and no broken equipment. I had a relaxing trip and learned a lot.

Sounds like your afraid of life Ron.

I just got back from a week off too and guess what, not one fire to put out. My company ran with out me, imagine that!

Mikey P

Administrator
Life is what happens when you not working Ron.

Let me ask you two things, what are your hobbies?
And what happens to your lifestyle and your company when you break your leg, arm or back and can't push a wand for half a year?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm well aware of those things Mike. I know you may not understand it, but thats where my faith comes in.

As for Life, it happens for me 24/7, not just for when I'm not working. I like what I do, I like meeting the people, I like being able to help them. Its part of my life. I'm content with what I have. I don't need a rush of adrenaline to prove I'm alive. Its great to be able to do those things but those people better have the employees since they put themselves at risk. Every day is a risk, just driving down the road. I do need a hobbie, and when I find one, it will just be part of my day just as my work is. In one way, my work is my hobby.

And just by coincidence I had a client call me after 5yrs and want her carpets cleaned. She specifically asked if it was me coming yet as she's had employees come and they never put in the same effort. Perhaps one day I'll have an employee/partner but he, or she, will need to have that same work ethic.

Also, once I'm off the truck, what's to prevent my tech from breaking a leg and being laid up for 6mths? If all you have is one tech, the odds of being unable to get the job done increase, but are still far less than a Ken Snow's or Greg Cole's style operation. Mike West told me years ago, either go big or stay small, as you need all the infrastructure of a big busn with 2-3 trucks but you won't have the volume to give you the same profit you had with 1 truck.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Large or small, they are personal choices we make for ourselves.

For every good point you can make for either position their is also a negative one for that position.

We've been both small and large (large for out market size) and there have been benefits to both as well as negatives.

Small Positives- You work when you want, no or low overhead, you pocket the majority of the money. No hassles with employees, large insurance premiums, paying a bunch in taxes. No one tells you what to do and you don't have to tell anyone what they need to do.

Negatives- Little motivating pressure, if you not a self starter you can wither away. You wear all the hats, from booking, cleaning and billing. You get sick or hurt, you're SOL, until you get better. Health insurance, retirement and are all on yourself, so you must be a good manager.
You are generally not going to be able to sell your business for what it's worth to you.

Large Positives- You don't have to be there everyday to generate income, larger sales equal larger profits. You're building equity in a sell-able entity.

Large Negatives-Employees management, HR hassles, large insurance premiums, paying a bunch in taxes. Liability exposure, because you're bigger you are a target and have risks that small does not have.

I don't think either of you are wrong, it can be done well either way, it's a personal decision which route you chose.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Wyatt Earp said:
Large or small, they are personal choices we make for ourselves.

For every good point you can make for either position their is also a negative one for that position.

We've been both small and large (large for out market size) and there have been benefits to both as well as negatives.

Small Positives- You work when you want, no or low overhead, you pocket the majority of the money. No hassles with employees, large insurance premiums, paying a bunch in taxes. No one tells you what to do and you don't have to tell anyone what they need to do.

Negatives- Little motivating pressure, if you not a self starter you can wither away. You wear all the hats, from booking, cleaning and billing. You get sick or hurt, you're SOL, until you get better. Health insurance, retirement and are all on yourself, so you must be a good manager.
You are generally not going to be able to sell your business for what it's worth to you.

Large Positives- You don't have to be there everyday to generate income, larger sales equal larger profits. You're building equity in a sell-able entity.

Large Negatives-Employees management, HR hassles, large insurance premiums, paying a bunch in taxes. Liability exposure, because you're bigger you are a target and have risks that small does not have.

I don't think either of you are wrong, it can be done well either way, it's a personal decision which route you chose.

I'm sure Mike knows all this stuff and is thinking out loud. The bottom line for his customers is there is going to be a diminishment of quality; the very thing they have come to expect when they call his company. No more big truck, no Mikey P owner/operator, just techs using a slide in (for God's sake). May as well call Stanley and get the $99 special. At least their ads are cute.

Mikey P

Administrator
Art,

You have your head up your owner operated ass.

Only one reason to not run at least two trucks IF THERE IS THE DEMAND.

You're a pussy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom