Deck Cleaning/Restoration

Jamesh921

Name
James
How many here do this type of work?

I've been reading up on it some.

As a carpet cleaning company, does it add to your bottom line alot, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Do you feel it's a really difficult service to provide? Or is it pretty simple to learn?

What cleaning products do you use?

And have you heard of/used Restore-A-Deck? If you have, do you believe it's the best product on the market (like they claim)? Or, do you suggest another product?

Thanks,
James

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I don't really know much about it but remember someone pressure washing a deck that also stripped the paint. I was surprised that it was so effective. Op machines can also be used with the brush attachment.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know just enough to be dangerous ...(I really don't solicit for "just" decks)
we do 'em occasionally as part of the total rehab package .
matter of fact, we're doing one tomorrow, as well as the vinyl siding

it's pretty cut 'n dried on typical treated lumber decks

pressure wash* and when dry apply "whatever" finish product according to manufacture's instructions

*pressure washing isn't simply "spraying" off a deck.
You don't use any chems (we don't anyway) ...we use the pressure to "shear/cut" the grUnge layer off

there's a learning curve involved ...cause you can monkey up and cut the chit out of a deck pretty quick with 3800-4000+ psi

..L.T.A.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I've pressure washed and stained a couple of fences. If I'm slow I'll do anything for money. I would rather clean carpets.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I have never used Restore-A-Deck. I think it's a mostly a sodium Precarb oxidizer for mold and mildew. I have used a similar SP products, but they have never seemed to make a difference, and I always resort to relying on pressure to peel shit off. There is a school of thought in PW that "Less pressure and the right chemicals" is the correct way to go, but I have yet to figure it out yet, and it usually means using LARGE amounts of chemicals and "Downstreaming" them.
Either way I think learning proper technique would be first and foremost to chems.

I enjoy doing decks, but they can be tedious, because sometimes EVERY side of EVERY component must be peeled, which can make things interesting as far as achieving all the right spray angles. The challenge with wood is to keep the lance tip moving at the right angle and distance. I prefer long "sweeping" passes. One place too long, at too close a range, will leave chop (lighter) marks all over the place, and possibly score the wood. I also like to trigger my gun a little further away from effective range, and slowly move closer.
Never underestimate the ability of high pressure water to Fook chit up. If used incorrectly, it will not only damage wood, but brick, stone, cement, stucco, and just about anything else. Don't ask me how I know..... :oops:

Check out ptstate.
http://www.ptstate.com/

2011-04-20_12-53-14_639.jpg

2011-04-20_11-14-00_678.jpg

2011-04-19_14-29-30_263.jpg

2011-04-20_16-05-01_621.jpg

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Used to do it. 2 part chem system that would even take gray weathered (not just dirty) wood back to looking like new pine.

You prewet, apply the first chem, pressure wash it off. Then come back with a second chem that ph corrects, about 2 minutes after it hits it starts changing color.

Actually pretty amazed at how well it worked.

Easy money - just walk from the seal or stain and seal - not worth it.

If you want the name of the chems PM me, will have to check the warehouse and see what they are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom