DEF warning

Mikey P

Administrator
Copied from a RAM Diesel forum..

FB_IMG_1611495489424.jpg

"I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel. I went to the fuel station and fueled the truck. Then I went to the DEF pump to fill up. When I started the pump, it back-flushed out of the filler neck and made a huge mess. As it turns out, about a 1/2 a cup of the fluid went down the diesel filler neck. I didn't think that much would be a problem.

I left the station and within 1 mile, the water in fuel light came on. I was in my nice clothes so I went to a Dodge dealer about 2 miles away to see if they could drain the water separator on the fuel system. When I explained what happened, I was met with a huge shock.

Turns out, if so much as 1 tablespoon of DEF fluid mixes with the diesel fuel.....wait for it....... the ENTIRE fuel system has to be REPLACED!!!! From the tank to the injectors! Both fuel pumps, all fuel lines, both fuel filter housings, injectors, fuel rail....everything for a grand total of........$15 to $20 THOUSAND dollars!

Also, it turns out, the dealer has 3 trucks in there shop now for the same issue waiting on parts. One of those trucks has been waiting for parts for over 2 months. I'm sick!! "

UPDATE:
"First off, the insurance company initially denied the claim. They said it was operator error. Then I sent them pictures of the filler area. They are reconsidering there decision.
Now for the truck. It turns out there is a second flapper valve in the bottom of the filler tube and it caught most of the DEF fluid. They removed about 4 ounces of fluid and speculated that about 1-2 ounces got past and into the tank. Then the water separator in the first fuel filter caught the rest (about 1 ounce). The repair is to drain and remove the fuel tank and clean it out, flush all fuel lines to the primary pump, replace both fuel filters and refill with clean fuel. The original estimate of as much as $20k for repairs is now down to $1600!!!
We'll see how it goes. They said the truck should be ready by next Tuesday. Still not cheap but that’s a lot of money for something I would call a design failure."

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
What a stupid design!
The DEF Tube should be in an entirely different area.
Look for or Open up a class-action lawsuit.

Reactions: Mikey P

Zaccattack95

Name
Zacchary Allerding
Chevy had the def fill under the hood on passenger side. Then followed suit with Ford and dodge with having both fills behind fuel door. 🙄 at least Ford and dodge diesels have 2 fuel filters and less of a chance of big component failure if caught in time. The stuff I here about def contamination in the construction industry is unreal!

J

JS41035

Naa I stay on the stage one tune most of the time. It will get ridiculous though. The 6.7 PS is a beast.

Reactions: Zaccattack95

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom