Delicate upholstery fabric question.

Name
Jeff T
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a solvent only upholstery machine? I suppose This is a question better suited to Jim Pemberton.
@Jim Pemberton
I run into delicate upholstery, and fire retardant DAILY…
I am now turning down 30-40% because of the fire retardant.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff @ SCC

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a solvent only upholstery machine? I suppose This is a question better suited to Jim Pemberton.
@Jim Pemberton
I run into delicate upholstery, and fire retardant DAILY…
I am now turning down 30-40% because of the fire retardant.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff @ SCC
Dry solvents do not remove soiling really well. Its smells clean and oil based soils will be removed but it doesn't improve appearance much.

I think if it's more than you want to do by hand (vacuum well, spray OMS, hand towel) then I would look at a dry foam machine.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've owned several different models of the Kleenrite upholstery cleaning machines and one Ultimate upholstery cleaning machine.

All were excellent at HWE none of them were impressive at dry cleaning. Factor in risk and the hassles involved in dealing with OMS in the home and recovery of your dirty solvent, it's just not worth it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
To the best of my knowledge, Kleenrite continues to make machines that can use both solvent and water based detergents.

As said, dry cleaning is fairly limited in effectiveness, but has a place when cleaning very lightly soiled fabrics that have non-durable textures (viscose chenille as one example), or unusual color issues (bleeding or flame retardant issues)

You can get better results with limited moisture barrier techniques (NOT “Dry-Wet-Dry”) or with the use of orbital buffers and dry solvents.

This one is worth a phone call.

I’m at my office M-F 8-5 Eastern Time

Name
Matt Middleton
I've owned several different models of the Kleenrite upholstery cleaning machines and one Ultimate upholstery cleaning machine.

All were excellent at HWE none of them were impressive at dry cleaning. Factor in risk and the hassles involved in dealing with OMS in the home and recovery of your dirty solvent, it's just not worth it.
Ditto.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Quite often. If there is no previous coloration, I inform the customer as to the potential problems, then clean it. As much low moisture as possible, fans and safe detergents. I have had very few problems.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Jeff,
If you do change your mind, we have at least 4 Kleenrite machines that we could sell you...
I just dusted off one of ours to use for cushion cleaning at our satellite store. Had to make a new lid for the vac tank; it had turned white and cracked while in storage. Works great, though.we don't plan on running solvent though it.

Name
Jeff T
A
Jeff,
If you do change your mind, we have at least 4 Kleenrite machines that we could sell you... :biggrin:
As I understand it Brian, they don’t clean ‘dry’ worth a s?!t…
AND, you go through like 2-4 gallons on solvent cleaner, just cleaning one couch…
@ 70$ a gallon, not worth the money invested.

AND, you are vaporizing the dry cleaning agent at the same time. Not good for me, my helper, or my clients…

HARD PASS thank you…

Brian H

Name
Brian H
A

AND, you go through like 2-4 gallons on solvent cleaner, just cleaning one couch…

AND, you are vaporizing the dry cleaning agent at the same time. Not good for me, my helper, or my clients…

HARD PASS thank you…
Jeff,

They are well designed and built machines. Also, you are able to attach a vac hose on the exhaust so that it can be vented outside.

We used OMS through our machines and at the time, we charged a higher price for dry cleaning. OMS is no where near $70 per gallon.

All that being said, ours have been collecting dust for years.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A

HARD PASS thank you…
They way we used ours, we filtered the solvent and reused it. Hooked up a vac hose to the exhaust and vented outside. Double boiler system. It was always a pain. We used to buy OMS by the 45 gallon drum. Would do draperies and fine fabrics in location. Was never a good system. With today's modern tools and chemistry, it's rare to run into a fabric we can't clean. In risky fabrics, we earn the customer about potential negative outcomes prior to cleaning.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
OMS is no where near $70 per gallon.
$16.37 a gallon at Walmart. 55 gallon drum with free shipping!

OMS isn't all that smelly, unless contaminated with other solvents. (Sellers assume you're degreasing machine parts, so a little acetone won't hurt?) A few times we've had to return one.

The Kleenrite machine heats solvent to just below flashpoint making OMS more effective. Chlorinated solvent is smelly and expensive and works better, but you don't want to run that through a machine or heat it.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
jack zerkie
I'm doing a lot of furniture using encap cleaner with a pad & horse brush. Then a water rinse with the extractor. Easy and dry very quickly. $$$$. jz

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom