Destaticized???

WISE

I am bidding a large commercial job...and one of the 10,000 requirements is that the carpet be "destaticized as required by owner and also flame proofed, if and as required by law".

uhhh...what? :roll:

Any help or comments appreciated

WISE

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Anti-stats don't usually last for very long, and they can sometimes cause re-soiling. They are cheap and a easy to apply. Check with your local janitorial supplier they usually have several. (adding moisture might be an easier solution)

Anti-flame in many states must applied by a licensed applicator. Check with an Unsmoke distributor, they manufactured a product called Unflame.

Kelly

Some owners that use flamable fluids that could become vaporized would want their carpets treated against static electric spark. Think of the upside...static guards are cheap, they wear off quick, and they cause resoiling, a perfect high income producing job because of high maintenance. Sub the fire retardant out to someone else then just mark up the service price. You might want to promote the anti static service just for the high interim crap associated with specialized up keep.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Anti- Static is a type of salt. It is hygroscopic and attracts moisture. That is how it reduces static electricity. That is also why it can resoil.

Depending on traffic level, anti-static will remain in a commercial carpet for 3 to 4 months. However, most locations only have issues with static 3 or 4 months of the year when weather is dryer. An annual treatment at the beginning of the winter may be all that is required.

If the anti-static is needed for sensitive electronic components, you should re-apply quarterly.

Several places require flame retardant for drapes and/or upholstery after cleaning. New York requires wool carpet as a flame control method. I checked a few cities and states and did not find any that required flame retardant be applied to carpet.

If you do need flame retardant, Bob Astone also has this product at Knapp Products in Fresno. 1 877 278-6630.

Scott Warrington

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the customer wanted special anti-static or flame proof properties, they should have specified CARPET that had them, not cleaning services.

"...if and as required by law" is a meaningless phrase, with the exception that it makes you liable for doing the research to find out whether it is required, and adding you to the list of those liable "if and as" something goes wrong somewhere, so they'll have another company to add to the lawsuit.

Get a clarification from the building manager regarding both statements. There may be no law above what all carpet has to meet regarding the flammability of the carpet, and there may be no tenant that requires an extra anti-static application. I wouldn't agree to take on ANY liabilities beyond your normal services, and would draw a line through any questionable wording before signing any contracts.

WISE

Excellent Info guys...thanks.

Oz, I am working on that right now. I actually sent all this to my lawyer and have his girls researching...And I am having him review the contract and our bid submission package.

Building manager is helpful on this so far.

I am familiar with flame retardants for drapes, etc...never heard of it for carpet. And in Charleston, SC I have not ever heard of a static problem with carpet...but who knows, something new everyday I guess.

It is really an insane bid package. (Which we are not SUPPOSED to print to save the world.)

Thanks again

WISE

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Wise;

There are new Anti-Stats that are not cationic, and do not cause resoiling.

Fire retardants are generally determined by the local fire marshall.

Sometimes they accept NFPA standards, which are the most widely specified.

Some of them do their own informal test procedures.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom