Dewald or Boldens? I've decided to take the leap...

LeeCory

Where should I go?

From some of what I've read I am at the moment leaning towards Dewalds program next month in Tennesee. It is 3 days of hands on from what I can see.

This will be my entry into this field and I have not taken any other classes in water restoration. I've also read a couple opinions that Dewald would be to much for someone that has never taken any other class or has no experience.

I just don't want to waste any time. I would like to get the most for my money and get the knowledge required to go out and supplement my business.

In addition to the training I have $7,000 to initially invest into some basic equipment. I have an extra empty, lettered van ready to be used and hope this combination will be enough to get my feet wet in this business.

I will at minimum buy an lgr, a few blowers, a Rover or Hydro x, and maybe a few meters.

If you have read this far, in addition to my question about Dewald or Boldens, once I get the training and some equipment how do you go about getting enough business at first to make it worth while?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I don't think the dewald school is recognized by the IICRC, personally I would go to one that is, so you will be ASD certified, I know its just a title, and the info at dewalds schools is just as good, but its nice to earn something that is recognized by by another agency

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I think you are better off taking a introductory water damage course to start with. Do some small, easy category 1, class 1 jobs. Read and re read the IICRC S500 third edition. Dry more jobs and take more classes. Then decide between Dewald and Bolden.
I took Dewald's class in 2005 and thought I knew what I was doing before I took his class. I learned a lot in his class and highly recommend that you take it. However it is not a introductory class and will not have much value for someone that does not know the basics. I have also only heard good things about Boldens class.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee;

Both are good classes, but I think Bolden's facility offers more scientific testing results in the Hydro-Lab.

The insurance companies are requiring more testing & substantiation from the restorer.

As the inventor of the Hydro-X, I think Kurt offers a lot of useful experience to the class.

Larry Cobb

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I would definitely take a water damage class first otherwise either advanced class will be just that - advanced.

The field of restoration is changing too fast to enter without a lot of good training. Over the last few years several law firms have set up just to handle improperly remediated restoration claims. Don't give them the opportunity to make money from you.

Don't forget that restoration work isn't easily scheduled between 9-5. You can guarantee that Christmas, Sunday morning or your anniversary you will get calls.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I missed the two Steeler vs Cowboy Super Bowls in the 70's.

Emergency fire and water restoration calls....and a father who had low cost labor within the call of his voice! :lol:

LeeCory

Ok, what about this....

In September Boldens has the WRT and ASD almost back to back. Would it be reasonable to take both right off the bat one right after the other?

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
If you only have $7,000.00 for restoration, look for used equipment or you won't be able to get very much equipment or handle a water loss of more than 1-2 rooms.
These are Jon Don prices to give you an idea:

Evolution LGR Dehu $1600.00
Xtreme extractor $3600.00
Surveymaster meter $ 443.97 (non destructive and pin type in 1 meter)
Matrix tempest fan *(6) $ 900.00
Total $6544.00
With Typical 6-7% sales tax these items will cost around your $7,000.00

I bring this up only so you can start looking now for a good used equipment package, or perhaps save a few more dollars.
This amount of equipment will not properly handle any but the smallest losses. (I did see some used drying equip. here on MB last week)

Scott

LeeCory said:
Ok, what about this....

In September Boldens has the WRT and ASD almost back to back. Would it be reasonable to take both right off the bat one right after the other?

You may have to contact IICRC to ensure they don't grade your ASD before your WRT. I've heard a few instances where the ASD was graded before the WRT and the individual didn't get IICRC credit for ASD since WRT is a prerequisite course. A simple call to IICRC HQ fixed it but if I were you I would call ahead to give them the heads up.

Scott

LeeCory

Thomas,

Yes, I wish I could get more to start off with, but I guess I will have to build my equipment base as I go. I do have a large restoration company nearby that offered to rent me equipment if I need it. From what I saw they have at least 50 dehus and fans up the ying yang. Of course it would eat up some of the profit, but at least I could cover what I need.

Also, if I don't get any work at all, I won't be out too much money.

John Buxton

Rent the dehus, injectidry, and Extreme Extractor at first, but buy the fans if you can they pay for themselves on 2-3 jobs.

Locate a couple different small sub crews for tearouts. If the flood came from anywhere other than a freshwater pipe, the adjustor should be OK with removing it. Alot of homeowners will want the old carpet out regardless of insurance.

You can bypass the adjustors by marketing to your customers directly. Then you wont be getting calls at midnight.

Just be extremely diligent in checking for moisture in walls, voids, cabinets, closets, insulation, etc.

You should pop the baseboards off on day one be sure and mark them and remove the finishing nails through the back of the baseboard.

LeeCory

Thank you John and everyone for the great info.

I have missed out on jobs every once and awhile because I didn't have the proper training and equipment. I just hope that getting this training and equipment will not be a waste of time and money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom