Dexcool

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Has GM changed this stuff around or is it the same crap that eats intake manifold gaskets? New vehicle prices are good right now and I like the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty GM offers, but I don't want that $hit in my vehicle..

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I guess the key is to replace the stuff every two years.

Farenheit251

I have an 02 Saturn,03 Lesabre w/ over 160K on each and my 05 van w/130K and an 06 GTO w/77k -no problems w/ DExcool. Also had 2 PTOs that each went over225K w/ no problems.
As long as you dont ever mix it w' green it wouldn't worry me.

DavidB

My current full time job is at a national repair center and I can say from plenty of experience, if it has more than 60k runs rough and overheats 7/10 it needs a intake gasket on GM more pronounced on the 3.1 and 3.4 but the 3.8 is in the group too. Now the newer engine don't have that issue just yet but they haven't been around that long neither, guess we'll see with a bit of time....

Just change it when the car is new, have it properly flushed and no harm done.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
my 02' impala i had dexcool and yes i have already had to have the head gaskets replaced and the heads planed.. i got it done at cost and it was still $600 bucks. I'm All green now..

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
I have two Chevy Astros and had a S-10 before I traded it in for my new Silverado, All have 4.3 engines never had a problem, Maybe it's just those engines that were mentioned. :mrgreen:

randy

Name
Randy
Google Class action lawsuit Dexcool and read all about it. I have had freeze plugs go bad & last Thursday spent $722 on the intake manifold gaskets on my Chevy. Anti-freeze was changed every Fall. The original dexcool has been replaced but I still just don't trust GM. What kind of retards in managment at Gm would decided to reinvent anti-freeze just so they can replace $7.00-$7.50 a gallon anti-freeze with a $20 a gallon Dexcool. Anti-freeze has worked pretty well for what over 100 years ? I will never buy another GM product. There 3.4 engine is the worst POS ever. It's so bad ACE & Nick N. should create a joint venture to design a truck mount around it. On my Chevy the transmission had to be dropped to replace one freeze plug that was corroded by the dexcool. Buy a Ford Van you will be in a much better situation.

DavidB

Yes it will void the warranty of the cooling system.

Dexcool does not work, anyone gets curious enough find a gm car with 60k+ and look at the radiator cap buildup

Back
Top Bottom