direct drive trouble

glenboy

Name
GLEN
steam genie direct drive new belt new shaft bearings new clutch turn idle to high and cap off 100 ft of vac hose and something starts to drag the pto shaft to the point where the brand new serpentine belt starts to chirp and smell like new rubber burnin the blower spins free and has no endplay the pto spins free and has no end play . one thing we did notice is on the front of the pto the tapered end of the clutch shaft has a tiny wobble in it probably from trying to remove old bearings my buddy thinks he ruined the bearings when he installed them , i told him if they were ruined they would be loud , at this point we have alot of ideas maybe some of you do as well please help a brutha out 8) :?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Glen...bring it over tomorrow...you can meet my crazy brother-in-law!

FIRST...rinse yor blower out wit water.........

F

FB7777

it'll be the highlight of his day

other than that he'd just be sleeping in front of the TV crapping his diaper watching the Lions get blown out

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ya Glen.....i'll look at it tomorrow or Fri or Sat Or Sun as Crash has taken a vacation till monday!
Tomorrow would be better as it would get me away from the family......

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Glen...look at the rear of the driveshaft and determine if the shaft has walked backwards (they do sometimes) remove pulley and tap back forward wit an old bearing then SET wit a prick punch around the bearing housing!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
bob vawter said:
Glen...look at the rear of the driveshaft and determine if the shaft has walked backwards (they do sometimes) remove pulley and tap back forward wit an old bearing then SET wit a prick punch around the bearing housing!

That sounds so familiar :lol:

Name
steve snail
My last unit was a SG. Had the problem of belts burning up. Added a second pulley & belt and problem solved.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I WATCHED THIS MAChine run from both ends and while the clutch was spinnin on hi and you could see it was slowin down and i could tell the 350 van engine was not skippin a beat

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Glen

Don'T know if this is the problem but we had a similar problem that I had spoke with Bawb about a few times.

Ours started with a chirp then turned into a full blown squeal. If you looked at the clutch system it appeared to slow down.

The cause was the rubber pieces that wrap around the shaft tube were worn out and the whole PTO system was sliding forward under the hood about 1/8". The appearance of slow down on the clutch ended up being from when the belt would start to ride up on top of the pulley.

Again I don't know if yours is the same but watch the edges of the belt real close and see if its working its way up on the pulley

glenboy

Name
GLEN
it was the ac clutch was freezin up put a smaller serpentine belt bypass ac unit and presto van ran like a MOFO thanks for all your help

Greenie

Good thing...cause Bawb wouldn't know about AC on a new rebuilt Genie, do them churchbuses even have AC?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom