Direct drive units and main bearings

walt00

I have a white magic direct drive unit and my main bearings are going out. I am either looking at a new engine or total rebuild. Just wondering if any one else had experienced this problem? The mechanic seemed to think it was because of the added stress to the main shaft because of the extra pulley mounted out front? Mechanic also said if we rebuild the engine they can balance the it with the added equipment on it and give me a 3 month warranty. New engine 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty. Both options are around 4500.00 What to do?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Matt, what year and make truck and how many miles...and hours......I've been running PTO's since 1980 and never had a problem wit main bearings......I HAVE worn out an engine or two in the many vans i've ran!

Usually a weekend and we jus slam another motor in.................

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The only engines to have this as an endemic problem was(is) the Triton series Ford V-8's. The main bearing journals are so narrow, and the side thrust so tuned to just that bearing width, made it virtually impossible for CDS manufacturers to contend with the issue without redesign of the manner in which the additional belt drive accessory could be added without overloading the bearings.

My understanding is that no CDS manufacturers built any units for that application without first dealing with the issue.

John Watson

I have been running shaft drive units for the past 25 years. never lost an engine. Currant unit is a 1988 JEM in its 4th truck which has 140,000 on the odometer, previous truck had 210,000 or better when we removed the unit. These were both 1 ton fords.. I believe your mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. Why would the manufactures honor any warranty at all if that was the case on the new units??? Go Figure.

But, again not knowing your maintenance and I think your clutch would fail before your main bearings.

And I have the Triton engine, my shaft and clutch were redesigned and fit in the loop of the serpentine just a longer one. No extra crank pulley

Mike Draper

I agree with Watson

I think the mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. I would get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
When I bought my cleanco they said to have it installed in a chevy 6 liter because of that problem with the Tritons.

walt00

main bearings

I am running a 2000 GMC 2500 van with 99,000 miles on it and a white magic pro 1200 with 2300 hours on it. I am going to drop a new engine in, that is deffinetly the way to go. Thanks.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
That many hours on the machine equates to close to another 100,000 miles on the engine. plus the engine has the fan load on it because it is sitting still and doesnt have the airflow that it would at highway speeds. I think that motor has "seen" 200,000 miles or more.

John Watson

Yup, AC works good would not have a van without.

When transplanting drive shaft went from left to right side this time.

Very lucky on the way the pump was swapped around under the console.

I didn't realize what was needed on this or I would have replaced the truck with another unit. $4000.00 for install.

Name
Tom McLaughlin
Front of Ford Triton engines require the use of a "carrier bearing" which is a pulley mounted on a frame which attaches to the engine block.

We have direct drives all over the joint, this is first time I heard of main bearings going out, might be better off with the new engine as there may have been something amiss with the current engine.

You like to figure about 30 miles on engine for every hour on machine for your oil changes.

If you truck has overheated then there is a possibility that the oil has sludged up preventing proper flow. Direct drives have the advantage of a couple extra gallons of coolant due to the heat exchangers, however it does not prevent overheating.

Go with a new engine, good luck.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've never gotten much more than 100k miles out of an engine before it starts acting up and leaking oil.

John Watson

147859 an nary a drip, Changes oil once a month regardless of miles and hours, Guy that changes the oil says he keeps mine to put back in his...

Been lucky only wrenches to this truck have been to bearings in 3rd member at 110,000 (Not shimmed correct from new) and brakes

John Watson

This here unit is a true Diamond in the rough, JEM made in Langly, BC, Canadia By Jim E Miller. Wayne Willey of Blaine WA bought it new in 1988 installed in a ford with a 6 banger. in 90 swapped it into a 90 van with a 351, Wayne wanted more hill climbing power and heat. I bought the unit as a basket case in 95 or 96 re-installed it in my 92 E350 swapped it into my 97 E350 with 100,000 miles on it in 2003. Still has original Hawk pump and # 4 blower. Every install was by the manufacturer.

John Watson

Jimbo, I don't know. He was building 3 Duplex (2 pumps, 2 blowers) for the Canadian School district during my last swap. I know he made a bunch for Nation Wide also. I haven't talked to him since he installed it this last time. He told me the cost of the swap after he was done, and then after I payed by CC same as before and all other times he worked for me, he called and said after talking to his son, that was supposed to be US funds I think it was 29-30 % exchange at the time he wanted another $12-1500.00 I told him Jim you marked my invoice paid in full and said you were sorry it was so high this time, Previous install was $26 2800 Canadian. I think his son just got greedy...

His phone number is 604-308-5074

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom