direct drive vs. slide in tm

looking to purchase new or used ( good shape decent hours) tm but, haven't decide what tm to purchase either direct drive or a slide in what are the advantages/disadvantages of the two. basically which would be more reliable.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The "normal" PTOs made by HydraMaster, Butler and Cleanco are typically considered more reliable than the typical slide-in. The big slide-ins that use small auto engines may rival the PTO for reliability though.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The Great Oz said:
The "normal" PTOs made by HydraMaster, Butler and Cleanco are typically considered more reliable than the typical slide-in. The big slide-ins that use small auto engines may rival the PTO for reliability though.

Indeed. If reliability is your main focus (as it is mine, I want to concentrate on my jobs that are booked for 10 solid hours each day with no breaks) then a top quality direct drive will give you that. Plus you don't have a loud stinky motor in your van that makes things very hot in the van and heating up the belts and components shortening their life. The new Sapphire Scientific Pro1200 in a new Gm van would give you 20 years of great reliable service.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Those in the know...
go with a PTO.......!

Thems that marry their kin
always go with a slide in....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
bob vawter said:
Those in the know...
go with a PTO.......!

Thems that marry their kin
always go with a slide in....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh no. Now you've done it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
first 2 trucks were PTO...the one I have now is a slide in and it does everything a PTO will do and I don't have the truck sitting out there running.....( and I have never kissed any of my sisters or relatives )........

Name
Nate W.
I don't care what that micro seal dude says, B's a sharp cookie... I want a pto but my lawnmower engine won't die.... :twisted:

Plus Bawbbie-Joe is on his last SG build... So I'm up sh!ts creek... :cry:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have both a HM CDS and a Boxxer 421 that I've only put about 25 hours on. As far as cleaning, they do the exact same thing, but for some reason I feel more secure about the CDS' reliability. Probably from running 3 other ones in the past. The 421 uses a little less fuel, but not enough to make a huge difference.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
heres MY favorite
bestfrontmachine.jpg

in the garage room now........... somewhat amus

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Art Kelley said:
[quote="The Great Oz":277hzah8]The "normal" PTOs made by HydraMaster, Butler and Cleanco are typically considered more reliable than the typical slide-in. The big slide-ins that use small auto engines may rival the PTO for reliability though.

Indeed. If reliability is your main focus (as it is mine, I want to concentrate on my jobs that are booked for 10 solid hours each day with no breaks) then a top quality direct drive will give you that. Plus you don't have a loud stinky motor in your van that makes things very hot in the van and heating up the belts and components shortening their life. The new Sapphire Scientific Pro1200 in a new Gm van would give you 20 years of great reliable service.[/quote:277hzah8]
I disagree.

No van has a "presentable image" after 10 years of daily work load.

Some well-engineered slide-in TM's will outlast 3 new Vans.

They can be transferred with much less expense.

Fuel economy is less with gasoline PTO's.

Excess heating of engine components is also troublesome with some PTO's.

Well-engineered slide-ins, AND PTO's can last 20 years.

Larry

P.S. We have built every typeof TM, from Diesel PTO's to 40 HP #5MR slide-ins.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry...maybe you were absent the day i showed everbody how to POP-RIVET new quarters on in a day......... ?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I think it comes down to your mechanical ability. Nobody that can't turn a wrench should own a slide- in. Way too much to maintain and fix compared to a pto. I used a CDS for 25 years and loved it and them bought a monster Powerclean Genesis with better vac and scorching heat and would probably have a hard time going back to a CDS.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Larry Cobb said:
[No van has a "presentable image" after 10 years of daily work load.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of any rust on my 03 Express after 8 Michigan winters. The van still looks new. It's not unreasonable to expect it to last 20 years or more. Modern vehicles (except Dodge Sprinters) seem to have a much improved corrosion resistance over those built 20 years ago.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Doug Cox said:
I think it comes down to your mechanical ability. Nobody that can't turn a wrench should own a slide- in. Way too much to maintain and fix compared to a pto. I used a CDS for 25 years and loved it and them bought a monster Powerclean Genesis with better vac and scorching heat and would probably have a hard time going back to a CDS.

I CONCUR...!!!

If you are residential & light commercial....Go with the PTO... !gotcha!

You DAMN well had better know how to turn a wrench..if you want the addition POWER
of a slide in...!!! At $85.00 per hour for a DISTY mechanic...adds up in a hurry.. :evil:
Not to mention the ...DOWN TIME and travel involed in most situations...!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Larry Cobb":2ipboy58][No van has a "presentable image" after 10 years of daily work load.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of any rust on my 03 Express after 8 Michigan winters. The van still looks new. It's not unreasonable to expect it to last 20 years or more. Modern vehicles (except Dodge Sprinters) seem to have a much improved corrosion resistance over those built 20 years ago.[/quote:2ipboy58]

1999 Butler....over 5k hours....Still PeRtY... !gotcha!

HARPERPIC092.jpg

HARPERPIC089.jpg

HARPERPIC091-1.jpg

joe harper

Name
joe harper
bob vawter said:
ya if only them Butlers used a GOOD pump....
and a LOT less limits and solenoids......

Ya.....But you can remove that pump...with a pair or pliers "if necessary"... :shock:
Notice how all the plumbing has QD'S....5 minute job... !gotcha!
pressure guage ..2 seconds
pressure regulator..5 seconds
chemical pump..2 minutes
in-line water filter..2 seconds
HX..15 minutes
Blower 30 minutes
Front drive belts..15 minutes
3 rear drive belts.. slide pump back..change all 3 belts..15 minutes

HARPERPIC090-1.jpg

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HARPER said:
bob vawter said:
ya if only them Butlers used a GOOD pump....
and a LOT less limits and solenoids......

Ya.....But you can remove that pump...with a pair or pliers "if necessary"... :shock:
Notice how all the plumbing has QD'S....5 minute job... !gotcha!
pressure guage ..2 seconds
pressure regulator..5 seconds
chemical pump..2 minutes
in-line water filter..2 seconds
HX..15 minutes
Blower 30 minutes
Front drive belts..15 minutes
3 rear drive belts.. slide pump back..change all 3 belts..15 minutes

HARPERPIC090-1.jpg
must brake down a lot if they gotta make it THAT easy to fix.......

Mike Draper

If you want temps under 200 at the wand all year long then a pto is the truck for you. If you want a dependable longer lasting, simple to operate, simple to fix Truck mount, the judson c4 is it. Oh yeah,and 240 atw as well. !gotcha!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
jus shows ta go ya that people that don KNOW what they are talking about....
don KNOW what they're talking about....... :roll:
no reflection on the Judson at all...it IS a good unit....however when you have a chance to get into a new Direct Drive at a THIRD OF THE COST........you should!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom