Diverter valve question

G

I have taken my dv off because it was frozen . I have since gotten it opening and closing ( with it off , turning it manually ) .

My question is this - instead of relying on the vacuum method and control , can I just put a handle on it to open and close it ?

Also , I am assuming that fully opened ( so it is diverted to the exchanger ) gets all the heat - is it ok to run in this position , full open ?? And I am also assuming that the less it is open the less heat you get ?

I know it is probably simple , but just making sure before I reinstall it.

Thanks

James

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Yes you can do it, but make dang sure you divert it before you drive around or you will fry the HX.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would not recommend it as a full time solution to your problem.

If you were to get distracted while cleaning and let the water sit in the upper HX for too long it could get ugly.

The thermostat control is there for a reason

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
This is not a good solution..........................

When ever I am cleaning I am in tune with the sound of the truck and I can here the diverter valve open and close quite a bit........once that thermostat reads that temp it is automatically make what ever change it need to cool down or heat up to maintain the water........................

I would fix it the right ASAP before you end up cooking it and it cost a hell of alot more............if it gets left in the wrong position at the wrong time .your going to cook it.............

G

I would call AT and see if you can get the new style diverter. Those are great and would be worth the money.

Dave

G

I had an older V that was a "prototype model" which in real world terms meant "experimental model".

It had a manual diverter that I had to open when I started a job and close when I was done. I'd pull a pin, flip it, and put pin back in. It seemed simple enough until I forgot to close once and drove about 40 miles down the freeway. I had Xentherm all over the back of the truck. It also fried a steel braided line that was underneath bed so all the Xentherm drained out down there (that wasn't already in truck).

So my opinion would be as Dave said, if you can get a newer style that isn't manual I would try that. Take the risk out of it!

Back
Top Bottom