DIY mounting a prochem Blazer XL - Suggestions?

tjfar1

I'm just restarting in the business and bought a used Blazer XL and want to mount it in my '96 Chevy G30. It came with everything except a fresh water tank. Jon-Don wants $1500 to mount. I figure I could mount it myself and have them tap the fuel line for $300 and save myself $1200. Am I being frugal or foolish wanting to do it myself? Is there any trick or secret to mounting a unit or is it as simple as placing the unit in the van, drilling the holes and attaching the bolts and mounting plates? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Ryan

It takes 30 minutes tops. Don't fret it. I've helped install two. Blazers can't be that heavy so you probably won't even need a forklift, just get a couple of guys to help you pick it up.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
30 minutes? Wow. Considering you need to figure 15 minutes a bolt and it takes ten bolts I'd love to see you do it In 30. Make sure to used the proper bolts and mounting plates. Be sure to not drill through your gas tank. That really really sucks. Oh and don't drill into the frame that back bite friggin' hurts depending on the drill. Make sure you have extra bits.

It isn't rocket science but the last thing you want in a accident is 800 lbs slamming you into and through your dashboard.

Amazing

I've done full installs twice.

It took longer than 30 mins, so I must not be good at it yet.

Mark off drilling locations. You will find plenty of stuff in your way under the van for both machine and tank, and inch this way or that could make a big difference.

I did my own fuel tap on my 06 e350.. Yes the DOT approved tap.
Not real hard, I did have to loosen the fuel tank to lower it on the straps holding it up.

Over all it is a very easy project.

What are you doing with the floor?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What Becker said
(that would be the "AmazingDB" if you don't look at profiles)

$1500 for an install, eh???
for a slide in, no less

hmmmm...I'd say there's a "bit" of profit in that..... :lol:

..l.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I spent several days moving all my stuff over into my new trailer, but to be fair I did have to remove it from the old trailer. if you look at my setup even I think that doesn't look like much, but the problem is it takes way longer than it looks. everytime I did something it seemed to create another issue that had to be dealt with, I would drill a hole and it would be right over the frame for instance or a supply hose here or there had to be lengthened. the nice thing about doing it myself is I have everything EXACTLY where I wanted it. but it took alot of work, alot of time and effort, as I also fabbed up some things as I went.

for a van install I would plan on 12 hours to get everything in and bolted down.

tjfar1

Thanks for all the great advice! Keep it coming!

John, I agree that I want to make sure its bolted in properly. It is my biggest concern.

Don, as far as the floor goes, I coated it using Herculiner. That process took me about 5 hours start to finish.

I have access to a forklift so I should be able to put it right where I want it.

John Watson

Please becareful, I had 2 employees who got about a hundred gal of hot dirty water on them and just missed getting seriouly hurt when they rearended a truck and totaled out our 3/4 ton 78 ford in 1981. We found the owners (at the time of install) just bolted through the floor. They didn't even use body washers. Not only did the machine and waste tank come loose, the heavy aluminium frame was tweaked and buckled. Cost as much to fly out a frame from Denver as it did to have the Machine flown out when new..

Oh yeah, it was March month in Alaska, They were distracted by a beautiful young lady cross country sking along the road in a bikini!!!

Name
R.J. Povio
if you are going to insulate the sides and or floor of the van (which I would strongly recommend being in IL) do that before bolting down the machine. If you are going to put additional roof/ceiling lights do that before too. Extend any or all drain hoses (either waste and or oil) to make doing routine maint. easier. Possibly install a drip tray/pan under the base of the machine (this will collect spilled/leaked oil and or minor leaking fittings from getting all over the floor of your van). Test fit everything in the van before drilling.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
meAt said:
What Becker said
(that would be the "AmazingDB" if you don't look at profiles)

$1500 for an install, eh???
for a slide in, no less

hmmmm...I'd say there's a "bit" of profit in that..... :lol:

..l.T.A.
Larry it isn't a steam way. A Steamway is 2 hours 3 hours with the fuel tap.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Think about it this way. Lets say you ever do get into an accident. And your machine moves because you didn't install it right causing the van to flip over. They investigate the cause of accident and find you at fault, and your insurance denies your claim because of negligence on your part. Taking a turn wrong and have that much weight shift could be very scary. This is worse case scenario of course, but stranger things have happened. I would rather have someone else to fall back on for damages rather than be up a shit creek.

Name
I'm Rick James
Yeah it shouldnt take no more than an hour, I think the shop guys like to say it takes longer to make some more $$$. blowme

For my machine its only 4 bolts and the dump tank is 2 bolts. The install prices that Jon Don gives is way inflated, like a few of their products. I figure they charge that much because people dont know better or know they can easily do it themself.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Yeah it shouldnt take no more than an hour
ummmmmm ok :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and it shouldn't take you more then 15 minutes and cost more then $40 to clean a whole house.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks John...and i know "some" of the time claims are down right silly, but what makes the Blazer so much more difficult to install??

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
meAt said:
Thanks John...and i know "some" of the time claims are down right silly, but what makes the Blazer so much more difficult to install??

..L.T.A.

It IS bLue.... :lol:

Name
I'm Rick James

Sorry John $1500 is steep for a TM install, when it takes the average DIY person around an hour. I dont know maybe a blazer has 2 more bolts than mine. I can also take my engine out in about 15 minutes.

For some people they pay the $1500, but if they realized how easy it is, they would be pissed. I love my local Jon Don, the people are great and I try to buy from them as much as a can, but they are way overpriced for some things. Install IMHO is overpriced.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Your 2100 goes in in 1 piece and has 3 holes. Most other machines including this blazer goes in in two pieces and has a min of 10 holes. we base our quotes on 15 minutes a bolt. People ask "15 minutes!" which I reply is it takes 2 guys to set the machine, two guys to drill (someone has to watch under the van) two guys to bolt it down unless your stretch Armstrong. Drilling and running the fuel line takes two people as well. Now add in someone wanting to use a Passenger van instead of a cargo van added 3 hours to cut the rails out and more time setting the machine and rilling to avoid air conditioning lines....I can keep going if you want :)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
brent said:

Sorry John $1500 is steep for a TM install, when it takes the average DIY person around an hour. I dont know maybe a blazer has 2 more bolts than mine. I can also take my engine out in about 15 minutes.

For some people they pay the $1500, but if they realized how easy it is, they would be pissed. I love my local Jon Don, the people are great and I try to buy from them as much as a can, but they are way overpriced for some things. Install IMHO is overpriced.

I didn't say $1500 for a machine only install was ok by any means. But I do want to see you install a machine by yourself in 1 hour. Please explain how 1 person is gong to install a machine in 1 hour. Let me get my lunch and a coke as this will be good. Hell matter of fact I'll bet you $1000 you can't do it. I have a van here that hasn't had anything installed in it and a legend GT that you can install and i'll even let you use my fork lift. Bye a plane ticket and bring 10 $100 bills with ya

steve g

Name
steve garrett
when I worked for rainbow in texas, one of the idiots ran the van off a bridge embankment the van nosed in, and the prochem legend with sub mount water tank ended up ripping loose and sitting in the passenger seat, it ripped the big 3" marine exhaust hose that connects the waste tank pulled all the bolts through the floor or machine base. it was a mess, anyone in the passenger seat would have been killed. its a wonder the driver even made it out alive. the one machine I have in a van. I actually took chain and secured the machine base which sits on a waste tank to the floor so if something happens the machine will not end up in the passenger seat.

there is more work than it looks to bolt a machine and all the stuff into a van, its alot of work. I would wager its not something john O sees himself getting rich on.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've seen a couple of bad wrecks made worse by poor installs. Nathan Koet's brother had a factory Bane unit shear many bolts and nearly crush him. Yes four will "do", but a margin of safety is better.

Likewise have seen too many 1/4-20 bolts and sheetmetal screws used, won't say who does that. Crappy gas line installs are also death waiting to happen. I like to run them thru METAL flex conduit.

When drilling put your depth stop shallow enough to not hit oil...or gas. After the first hole crawl underneath with a tape measure and eyeball the approx. location of subsequent holes for possible problems. Drill two or three holes, drop grade-8 bolts in them with appropriate washers. Clamp a little vise-grip on each bolt before going back under to place large washers and double nuts on the bottom, tighten firmly. Drill more holes and repeat.

In lieu of a forklift (bull in a china-shoppe?) a few sections of pipe, a spring leaf, and a come-along work great for positioning.

Takes more than an hour, but to save $1500 I'd work all day....usually 3 hours tops.

Thanks,
Lee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
for a van install I would plan on 12 hours to get everything in and bolted down.
At least 12-hours, I've done 5-6 of our trucks and you can spend several hours just lining up components so that you avoid as many heat shields as possible.

I can usually do one over a couple of days, actually install doesn't take that long but cutting the marine board, installing, measuring for tanks and reels all take time.

With the PC install kit it had plates to use from the underside before your washer and nuts. I'd buy or make some of the iron plates, it will make it tougher for the machine to move unless it's a major accident.

I prefer my distributor to do the installs, he's much better and faster than I am, but if you have the time, it's not hard to do, it just takes time.

Good luck!

Name
I'm Rick James
How much do you charge for an install?

Bottomline John is $1500 for an install is outragous, even if it takes 1 hour or 5 hours. I feel confident in doing things like that in a timely matter, when I do my own install I will time it for you. I was able to get my machine from my old van to my new one in about 20 minutes with one other person without a fork lift or cherry picker.

I dont mean to shit on your trade there John, but that guy is getting ripped off.

tjfar1

I LOVE THIS!!! I am taking this all in and all of you have brought up a ton of great points.

I'm replacing all the grade 5 bolts with grade 8's and using nylock nuts. I figure it's a little extra insurance. I do have a friend who is going to help me and I have access to a forklift so I can get everything positioned correctly. I will be drilling small pilot holes to make sure everything is going in the right place. I'm figuring on spending a loooong time this weekend to get this thing in. My top concern is safety and I feel with all the advice I'm receiving I should be able to accomplish this.

My wife says if this goes like any of my "honey do" projects it should take me twice as long as I think and at least 3 trips to the hardware store!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea take your time measure twice, drill once? :roll:

Make sure the drivers seat is positioned where you want before drill!

As Lee said a few metal pipes or even PVC work wonders when moving your machine around.

Fuel pump? If you use one make sure it is mounted to a frame rail and that you tighten the ground wire down tight. I had one come loose and couldn't figure why it would not start every now and then. You might also need a hole saw if you run your bulkhead through plywood or marine board.

I put my hose reels as close to the machine as I could, to save space, but ran long bolts from the bottom up, washer and nutted them then dropped the reel over the bolts and washer and nutted again. If you ever need to remove the reel for repairs you just remove the top nut and pull the reel.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
brent said:
How much do you charge for an install?

Bottomline John is $1500 for an install is outragous, even if it takes 1 hour or 5 hours. I feel confident in doing things like that in a timely matter, when I do my own install I will time it for you. I was able to get my machine from my old van to my new one in about 20 minutes with one other person without a fork lift or cherry picker.

I dont mean to shit on your trade there John, but that guy is getting ripped off.

You get no arguement on that price Brent. Machine ONLY including fuel kit would be $660 plus tax add in chem shelves ,hose reels mfresh water tank, Water Softner etc then the price goes up accordingly. Most installs we do run around $1500-2k but we spray in the bed liner and make customer hose reel brakets and raise the vac reel and lots of other add ons. Most people don't only install a machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think our Prochem distributor is $800.00 and up, as John said reels, water tank, shelves, flooring, are all more time/money.

Last carpet van he did for me was $1,800.00 we put in the marine board he did the rubber liner, 110 gallon water tank, pressure vessel, shelves and hose reels, unit waste tank and ran the fuel line and install the fuel pump.

I wasn't thrilled to pay it, but it was better than me spending a week installing it.

Plus I'm getting too big bone-ed to get under the van now days! :mrgreen:

Name
Lee Stockwell
A great install like John noted would be money well spent. Along that line look at some of the Bethel installs out of Australia.

Name
I'm Rick James

Thats a good Price John, I was only talking about machine and tank. Good to know you are one of the honest ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom