do any of you prefer a pump up sprayer instead of the hf?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have been entertaining the thought of using the old pump up sprayer a bit more in certain situations. For example I have a huge residential house with lots of stairs and wood floors and it wasnt that dirty anyway . I used the pump up sparayer and it seemed so much easier to move while I presprayed around the house instead of draging the solution line everywhere. Another situation was at one of my restraunts. I layed the pretreat down with the cimex and used the pump up for spraying edges and under tables. I saved a bunch of time this way and I know it did a better job than if i would have sprayed with the hf and then went back to scrub. anyway I guess the old pump up still has its place in the shop but dont get me wrong I love the hf . But who am i? Im just a small town porty hack lol!

Name
I'm Rick James
You dont want to spray to far ahead of yourself.

The HF is one of the best things on my van, a tool I use every job. I use pump up for protector, but going to switch to a battery one instead.

R

rotovacguy

I use my Mytee inline sprayer for the carpet and big open areas where you want some pressure, and use a pump up on upholstery where you don't.

I also keep the pump up handy as a back up, but couldn't imagine doing any type of decent size job with a pump up. Plus pump ups don't flow that much, you can't prespray too far ahead without the carpet drying out. As far as the solution lines goes, it doesn't really bother me. I'd rather move a solution line a few times as opposed to getting a sore back from carrying that jug all the time, and bending over constantly to get the tip as close to the carpet as I can, because they don't hit with enough pressure.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I got Hydroforces, battery electrics, and pumps. I dislike Hydroforces because of their imprecise metering. Multisprayer got a short on a job a couple weeks ago and I found a TCBS pump that had been riding in the truck with some mystery solution fermenting in it. Been using it and got another. Will fix the Multisprayer when I got nothing more interesting to do, but the pumps work just fine.

Simplicity and precision!

Name
I'm Rick James
I have a small pump up hand sprayer filled with liquid Fels Naptha that goes a long way.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
rotovacguy said:
I also keep the pump up handy as a back up, but couldn't imagine doing any type of decent size job with a pump up.

Replace the pump-up jet with a 10+ and it's plenty fast. I run a 12 on my Multisprayer.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have the Hf revolution with the dial knob.. We use it but I was told its very off on its measurements... Do you have the revolution HF?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
joeynbgky said:
I have the Hf revolution with the dial knob.. We use it but I was told its very off on its measurements... Do you have the revolution HF?

Revolutions.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Johnny said:
joeynbgky said:

Revolutions.

Actually, it says revolution on the side of the sprayer. Why your trying to be a smart ass. not revolutions

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I use two red spray one sprayers from jon- don. They run about $ 230 hold gallon jugs.
They work great.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
brent said:
You dont want to spray to far ahead of yourself.

The HF is one of the best things on my van, a tool I use every job. I use pump up for protector, but going to switch to a battery one instead.

I do the same Brent. I Wouldn't want to do a job without my Hydra-force. I know some of you guys worry about exact dilutions but, I all ways mix mine weaker that recommened, And the prespray works just as good. I never put undiluted prespray in the Hydra-force and normally use the white tip, Not the yellow. The adjustable ones are junk. :mrgreen:

R

rotovacguy

Johnny said:
rotovacguy said:
I also keep the pump up handy as a back up, but couldn't imagine doing any type of decent size job with a pump up.

Replace the pump-up jet with a 10+ and it's plenty fast. I run a 12 on my Multisprayer.

Where do you get those replacement jets at? I bought mine at Home Cheapo for like $30. It's an R&L I believe, holds 2 gallons max, but the tip is plastic, I wasn't aware you could change that. It seems just fine as it is for upholstery, and like Brent said, for doing protector. But even with a jet change, they won't hit with the kind of pressure you want on carpet, especially on the nasties. I thought I read somewhere that at full pressure, a pump up will achieve about 40 psi, does that sound right? And it's not a constant load, it's diminishing as you use it.

Farenheit251

I use the pump up when I want to mix up a mojo solution for filthy carpet or restaurants,especially if I'm using peroxide cause it gets to diluted in the HF.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rotovacguy said:
Where do you get those replacement jets at? I bought mine at Home Cheapo for like $30. It's an R&L I believe, holds 2 gallons max, but the tip is plastic, I wasn't aware you could change that.

donno about the R&L, but HD sells one with changeable tips.
I think it's Solo brand.
It comes with a plastic teejet , but they can replaced w/brass or plastic w/stainless insert .
if there is a TCS farm supply store in your area, they'll have every flow rate teejet on the shelf .
It will be an 80 degree angle..which is fine and dandy for a pump-up.

i don't know if I could ever go back to a pump-up for everyday use.
we use electric sprayers ..pump-ups are WAY too slow for applying juice to carpets.
(if you pre-spray nearly all carpets like we do)
Fine for upl, but way too slow for carpet

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
joeynbgky said:
Johnny said:
joeynbgky said:

Revolutions.

Actually, it says revolution on the side of the sprayer. Why your trying to be a smart ass. not revolutions

The plural of "Revolution" is "Revolutions". I have more than one Revolution.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
rotovacguy said:
Johnny said:
rotovacguy said:

Where do you get those replacement jets at? I bought mine at Home Cheapo for like $30. It's an R&L I believe, holds 2 gallons max, but the tip is plastic, I wasn't aware you could change that. It seems just fine as it is for upholstery, and like Brent said, for doing protector. But even with a jet change, they won't hit with the kind of pressure you want on carpet, especially on the nasties. I thought I read somewhere that at full pressure, a pump up will achieve about 40 psi, does that sound right? And it's not a constant load, it's diminishing as you use it.
HydraForce TCBS pump-up uses wand jets (T- / V-jets), so you can get any kinda hole you want.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
2 gallon pump up here. The HF is unpredictable when the water gets too hot otherwise I'd use it more.

Albert

I never liked HF, I don't think they worked right with high heat of a steamway or steamaction. My primary trucks are now white magic pto's, with the mod heat of these units the HF works great. I do carry a back pack sprayer that I bought from Lowes. Lifetime guarantee had it for a year still have not had to exchange it. Last night I did a large bar sprayed a hf and used the back pack.

CleanFreak.com

Supportive Member
Name
CleanFreak.com
I don't know how you can go wrong with a pump-up sprayer. They are cheap, and when they start to gunk up, just throw away and replace. At $9.95 each, how can you go wrong? I understand they don't work well for large areas, but for bedrooms, and such, they are perfect.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
HF only for me. I do use pump up sometimes on Uph and when spraying protector. I have never had trouble with metering. Once you use it enough you will know quickly if it isn't spraying enough or to much. Much more even spray pattern IMO and I have even had custys that make comments on it when I use it.

The only real trouble I've had with them is I just had to replace the jugs after 15 months $5. each at Jon Dons, oh I forgot I did have to replace the hose on both of them within about 3-4 months of them being new. I had to wait on a delayed shipment from Bridgepoint once and just used one of my 1/4 self crimpers and fixed it myself. Now instead of throwing all my used hose away I save 10ft for replacements hoses just in case.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Get a battery powered sprayer that can put down some juice when needed and you'll think you were a retard for pumping.

Greenie

I read a LOT of guys use a 2 gal pump-up for Protector. As I recall to apply the protector within' specs you'd Never get enough down per sq. ft. with a pump-up to be effective.

How many Sq. ft. you Pump-up guys get out of a Gal. of RTU protector?

Just don't tell me 3 houses.....this aint Coit.

I used to have a 3 gal battery for protector, it was sweet, just changed the Tee jet to an 04 from an 02.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
so greenie, whats the best way to lay protector? cant use a hydroforce cause it mixes with water. been using a pimp up. have we not been putting down enough?? hmm

Greenie

I don't know that there is a "best" just make sure you put down "enough".

Why can't you use a HF sprayer? if the formula calls for a 4:1 mix, and you have a 4:1 HF, you "could" use that. I just never liked it for protector.

If I were to buy a NEW BAtt. sprayer today, it would prob. be one of Mytee's, the corded 110v model of the "old" 3 gal. sprayer catches my eye.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
joeynbgky said:
so greenie, whats the best way to lay protector? cant use a hydroforce cause it mixes with water. been using a pimp up. have we not been putting down enough?? hmm

must be solvent protectant you use, Joey?
what's the suggested application rate of the protectant you use?

The Orangeforce dude mentioned back pack sprayers.
They're one of the few pump-ups that DO put out some volume, but they wear your arm out keeping them blowing full force.
They're also much too large and cumbersome for res work

I'm wondering if the dudes that like pump-ups over HF or electric use much (if any) pre-spray on carpets?

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
rotovacguy said:
Johnny said:
rotovacguy said:

The spray wands on the cheap pump-up sprayers are their Achilles heel. Flimsy plastic not suitable for the heavy duty use we put them through. The RL sprayers in my truck just have a male quick connect on the end of the hose. That way I just snap a HF wand when I need to use them. The HF also has a QQ on the end, so there is always a wand ready if one breaks or fails in some way.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I use a batt. sprayer for protectant and it had an .06 jet on it.. :shock: I backed it down to an .04. I would never use a pump up for protectant let alone pre-spray ever again. What a pita that was! I love my hf for prespray but I won't use it for protectant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom