Do good filters increase air flow?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Looking at Mike's R&D research thread about the collapsing filter. And Tre's (is he and Mike related?) video about the Devastator filter.

The claim is that by using the Devastator, he increased air flow or lift. He also removed inside filter basket and blower filter. Removing the blower filter, if one chooses to do so, will help airflow. However, if you don't:

Looking at the Devastator, the total square inches available for air flow are actually less than the basket filter. So, it seems like that any in line filter will decrease, not increase the flow. What am I getting wrong here?

I do understand the benefit (convenience) in not having to deal with the filter basket in the disposal tank, however, to me it seems like that is pretty much it.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I just bought 2 devastator filters. I have a HAT Vortex. I notice a slight difference in air flow but the what I notice more is the way the glided wand grips the carpet. You would think a glided wand is easy to push and pull but it isn't. I use to run a nylon in my pool filter sock.

I also pulled out the filter basket

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I pulled my filter basket and put legg's knee highs over the vac ports.
They are a fine filter and along with my blower filters they work just fine.

hydracat

keep the crap out of your blower. that is the goal. pick the stuff up when you dump the water, and keep your air flowin.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I would say people who use 2.5 or 4 to the door will get better airflow using it. Then someone who use's 2 inch straight from the truck. but it probably doesn't increase cfm. You wont lose any either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Looking at Mike's R&D research thread about the collapsing filter. And Tre's (is he and Mike related?) video about the Devastator filter.

The claim is that by using the Devastator, he increased air flow or lift. He also removed inside filter basket and blower filter. Removing the blower filter, if one chooses to do so, will help airflow. However, if you don't:

Looking at the Devastator, the total square inches available for air flow are actually less than the basket filter. So, it seems like that any in line filter will decrease, not increase the flow. What am I getting wrong here?

I do understand the benefit (convenience) in not having to deal with the filter basket in the disposal tank, however, to me it seems like that is pretty much it.

Am I missing something?
Ofer,
Most guys that notice a increase is when they have done other mods to truckmount to get more air flow. In doing so the smaller filters start to hinder the airflow.
Now going filterless is THE BEST performance. I Don't tell anyone to run without blower intake filter as this is your blowers only protection of from damage. I had a stock blower intake filter and what I did was removed the fine mesh that was over it and just run the the heavy wire braceing with a pantyhose over that, this flows good and still blocks anything that could cause major damage to my blower.
So if you are just running 2.0 hose then your basket is fine, the good thing about running larger filters is it gets rid of the basket so you don't have to climb in and over things to get it out to clean, this is what the smaller filters were designed to do was give you easier access to the crap you suck out of the carpet but there capacity is very small so your airflow is affected very quickly, very fast if you don't prevac!!
Hope this answers you questions.

Reactions: ruff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom