Do I need to replace my flowmeter?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
The flowmeter on my CDS seems to be acting up a little bit.
When I used to set the mixture that little indicator would float on a solid flow of water but recently there are all these bubbles coming up. It still shows my GPH but I'm not sure if it's accurate. Also on the back where the solution comes in it leaks a little bit. Not much. A few drops.I unscrewed the smaller brass screw and cleaned the threads put a little teflon paste and wrapped it with teflon tape.I tightened it as much as it seemed safe but I think the water comes from the larger brass part that the fitting goes into. The Flowmeter is about 90.- on e-bay and I don't really want to spend the money. Should I just put some silicone around where it leaks and call it good?

Mikey P

Administrator
the tiniest of air leaks will completely screw up the operation of those things.

Check/replace your hoses, check that the brass/SS aint cracked and snug up your clamps.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
look around, they can be had much cheaper. Call dwyer themselves, they sell to the public and you won't get raped.

and to answer your question, you have a leak, replace it and be done.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I've been checking for leaks because there was water dripping out the back of my van. What I found was that the gasket between the waterpump and the brass manifold that is attached to it had failed and there is a steady drip and my guess is that the water is just traveling through the whole van to the back. I can't see because my van has a plywood floor on top of the metal floor and carpet.So it's impossible to see, but that's my only guess so far.I found no other leaks and all the clamps are tight.Could the leak in that gasket be the cause for the flow meter bubbling?Or is it more simple that that,and it's a crack in the meter itself? Like I said, where the little tube comes in at the bottom from the solution jug is where it drips a little.I took out the threaded brass fitting, cleaned it,sealed it and replaced the tube, tightened the clamps,and the drips are still there kind of where the acrylic meets the outer brass part that holds the fitting. I don't think tightening it any more will do anything.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Try by-passing the flowmeter with clear piece of vinyl tubing. If you still get air bubbles you know the problem is up stream somewhere. Take the SS fitting out of the acrylic. Lube the o-ring with some plumber grease and snug it back in place. If the acrylic is cracked even the slightest it will allow air in, replace it.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Thanks I'll try that.I just looked up what an SS fitting is and what it looks like, I didn't know. So behind that inside the acrylic is an O ring? Make's sense that that could be leaking. It could have just worked itself loose a little, I suppose.They are selling a special hex wrench for it. Will I need that to get the fitting out of the flow meter? I have a job today so I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I mess with it. When it bubbles, the indicator piece is still showing a mixture rate. Is that rate off now because of the bubbles and if so does it read high or low? Do I need to compensate for it somehow?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I use a 1/4" drive socket to remove the fitting. The air probably reduces the chemical flow.

John Watson

Roxy, If it drips while the machine is off, it will suck air when on..

Air sucks easier than water, I found out years ago that some solutions run thru the onboard system can cause Orings to fail espessially if not flushed from the system after use.. Just like your pressure sprayers. Most use Viton seals and rings to help prevent this.

Flowmeters are netorious for getting hairline cracks at where the brass hose barbs are scerwed in because they are so easy to OVER TIGHTEN that is why with thread tape they are just over snug. The Oring on the adjusting knob can be overtightened, cracked and the seat damaged so it sucks air.. Happy looking It is a game of hide and seek. not hard if process of elimination is used..

John

Name
Eric Valentine
My flowmeter used to draw tons of air. The previous owner let the machine freeze. I mixed up some JB Weld and applied it to the back of the flowmeter where it was cracked, and no leaks for a year and a half. Using hose clamps helps if you have soft vinyl tubing, as air tends to leak at the hose barbs

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I found a tiny hairline crack in the acrylic. It''s right where it touches the panel so if I took it out and put epoxy on it, it would not fit into the opening. I'm going to try dripping a little superglue onto the crack. Maybe that would be enough to seal it.

John Watson

Roxy, figured it was a crack, Now you might have a decision to make.

They have 2 dwyer meters that are used in our industry. The 0-10 or the 0-5. Most have the 0-10 but, to fine tune your flow of your rinse or other chems run through your machine I would suggest the 0-5. I am not aware of any chem co which asks you to meter more than 4. I know with the rinses I used, I found that I just needed to adjust to 1-1-1/2 and 2, which saves 50-70% of my products. I believe Marty carries both.

I am coming over your way in a week and a few days on Thursday PM on my way to Idaho Falls to pick up a Motor Home and Lord willing back through on Friday. Need any thing from over here?

S

Scrubbin'

I don't mean to be a "dweeb", but I too would think it would be best to simply buy a new flow meter (once it is indeed proven this is the issue). As noted, Dwyer sells these items at what is probably a reasonable price. I like to try to view repairs based on the hourly rate I try to maintain to determine whether buying versus repairing is worthwhile. That is, if I spend five hours trying to repair something which costs $50 (for example), in my opinion it's easier for me to replace the part (or whatever). After all, what is the value of your time?

Cynde

Los Angeles Carpet Cleaners

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I see your point.The part does seem to come out easily and if I could pull it out a little ways enough to get some superglue on the crack and put it back in, that would take me 1/2hr and unfortunately my time as a cleaner is not worth 100.-.I wish it was...
So I'll probably try that first and if it doesn't work I'll spring for the new meter.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
gimmeagig said:
I see your point.The part does seem to come out easily and if I could pull it out a little ways enough to get some superglue on the crack and put it back in, that would take me 1/2hr and unfortunately my time as a cleaner is not worth 100.-.I wish it was...
So I'll probably try that first and if it doesn't work I'll spring for the new meter.
ya an' when you screw the fitting back in....
it will crack again.........

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
[quote="kippy newberg"Kippy Newberg: You're on the stage, and there we're all Cyrano, all loving with no hope of true love in return; all Roxanne, loving an illusion of love; all Christian, loving with words that are not our own; all imperfect. Parading or imperfections, in spite of our fears, with one thought in mind: to play true to the end. To risk all, and to be left with only that which is most dear...[/quote]
hey Kippy,I'm sure you're right about the cracking. I don't have high hopes for the procedure either but you're signature line is so eccentric that it made me check out our profile..... Ashes to Ashes???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
gimmeagig said:
[quote="kippy newberg"Kippy Newberg: You're on the stage, and there we're all Cyrano, all loving with no hope of true love in return; all Roxanne, loving an illusion of love; all Christian, loving with words that are not our own; all imperfect. Parading or imperfections, in spite of our fears, with one thought in mind: to play true to the end. To risk all, and to be left with only that which is most dear...
hey Kippy,I'm sure you're right about the cracking. I don't have high hopes for the procedure either but you're signature line is so eccentric that it made me check out our profile..... Ashes to Ashes???
:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Glad i could entertain you...... somewhat amus

"eccentric"????

i've been callt way worse!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Richard;

All the VFA series flowmeters use the same two mounting holes (overall length = 4 3/32").

The one we use, does have the metering valve built in.

We like the lower flow model (0-5 GPH),

to utilize a stronger mix in the chemical tank.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom