Do TMs get all the soil out??

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I did this demonstration at Mikefest, can't find my original post of this video.
I loaded a carpet with sand and carpet deodourizing powder, had the Genesis steam clean it, let it dry, then I ran my vacuum over it to see what was left.

b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydljHs2ozIb]

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I think Ron's point was that insoluble dry soil comes out much more readily in a dry state of proper vacuuming, preferably before you make mud.

Mikey compliant product endorsement: Preferably with a Amway vacuum cleaner.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
No it doesn't, nor is an interim maintenance method expected to.

However, it is an important step of restorative cleaning.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The point is that even though we can't remove 100% of the soil, we can remove a greater %age by dry removal first, then steam cleaning.
You'll get far more soil out dry than you will wet.

You'll eliminate a lot of worry, or unknown issues, as well. If it browns out, you know its something other than soil wicking, you won't get bleaching from hidden carpet deodorizer, you won't need to clean your tm filter as much thus giving you better airflow and performance.

minuteman

Thats carpet cleaning 101, I thought everyone new all about this, one thing for sure that demo would work great in advertiseing on a web-site.

Moser Bros.

There's a man waring black shoes with white socks at around 2:00. Good thing he's not a professional carpet cleaner, who wears white shoes with black shoes.

hogjowl

Idiot™
While I agree with the overall premiss of this thread, I have to point out that the dry soil removal results in the hwe'd area was a bit skewed by the use of a glided wand. Professional cleaners who do not prevacuum know that a standard slot wand removes much more dry soil than a glided wand.

Even if the glide is a slot glide.

Rex Tyus

admiralclean said:
While I agree with the overall premiss of this thread, I have to point out that the dry soil removal results in the hwe'd area was a bit skewed by the use of a glided wand. Professional cleaners who do not prevacuum know that a standard slot wand removes much more dry soil than a glided wand.

Even if the glide is a slot glide

I often agree with your assesments Marty, BUT on that one we STRONGLY disagree. For me the Slot glide is perfect tool when you want to hack it out. If I try to go without a glide I get lock down to the Nth degree. Allowing a much reduced capacity for soil (and moisture) removal.

The slot is the bomb if you offer a budget no vac special.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ok, I will consider the possibility that I might be wrong regarding the slot glide, but we can agree that a hybrid or a hole glided wand won't pick up much but water, right?

Rex Tyus

I prefer to say the hybrid and hole are for moisture recovery and not as much for solid particulate. But yea we pretty much agree on that.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Ron Werner is the FOOKING MAN. I hope you 99 whole House Hacks feel guilty for not pre-vaccing. Ron, Ken Snow couldnt carry your jock.

Golden Boy

minuteman

Moser how did you no I wanted a new pair of Spats, OK J.L. I'll feel it out Again, but don't let it scare you guys.

Farenheit251

I can flow twice as much water with a hole glided wand than unglided. Seems like that is going to effect soil removal.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
BrianE said:
I can flow twice as much water with a hole glided wand than unglided. Seems like that is going to effect soil removal.

No. Not according to Ron. The only thing that will pull out soil is your pathetic little vacuum cleaner from WalMart. Your truck mount should be shut off in the driveway for two hours while you use it. All that crap in the van filter box is just.....crap.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The TM removed about 75% of the soil I put in there. Look at how much I vacuumed from the TM cleaned area and how much I pulled from the non-cleaned area, then keep in mind I only vac'd the non-cleaned area about 2 swaths. So there was a LOT of soil in there. The Genesis pulled a lot out, so you WOULD see lots of crap in your tank, but there was significant amount left.

What I saw as significant was the majority of soil which I vacuumed from the TM cleaned area was the deodorizing powder; most of the sand was gone. The powder would hold more water and would stick more. So if you prevac, you'll not only remove the soil that would end up in your tank, but you'll remove the soil that wouldn't make it to your tank.

In a carpet thats vacuumed on a regular basis and professionally cleaned regularly then this should not be an issue. Your prespray will encapsulate remaining soil and losen stains to be removed with hot water extractor. All this based on checmicals used and performance and or well maintained carpet extractor.

Now in most the houses i clean ( empty rental units/homes ) a good pre vacuum would really help but none want to pay the addtional cost and dont care about the mud base we leave as long as the stains come out and carpet looks fresh.

Sometimes i really feel bad that i do what i do ( leaving pet odors or knowing just how dirty the carpet really is or the fact some people cut so many corners with water restoration) but i do need to feed my family .

Name
Eric Valentine
Ron Werner said:
Greenie said:
where is Mark Cermak....too funny, listen to the hotel commentary.

Yeah, what was the story with that lady?? I heard about it after. She tossed a TI wand?
CU's GreenHorn wand was sitting by the door to the room they were in. The *censored* didn't like the noise the wand was making, so she picked it up and threw it into the next room.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
a woman of action!!

I totally understand Lance. Its one thing to know you're not getting it all but satisfying that client's needs,
its another to tell them its "clean" and lead them to think it is when you know its not

Back
Top Bottom