do we ingnore areas like these as restorers???

steve g

Name
steve garrett
this is a bricked fireplace in a basement, I would assume the drywall goes behind it as well, I do know drywall is soaked on either side of the fireplace. is this a drying delima??? you can't just go demo things to check if their might be water behind it. how do you guys handle things like these

restorationjobs003-1.jpg

roro

Name
Ross Craig
steve g said:
I would assume the drywall goes behind it as well,
Never seen that downunder. I am not saying it wouldn't but if it does it would be the weirdest fireplace that I would have seen.

roro

Scott

Is that a Ronald Regan bobblehead holding an axe?

If so tell the homeowner I'll give her $30 for it!

Scott

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Craig Lindquist said:
That would be against code in many areas.

why would that be against code?? keep in mind most homes in utah are built new with the basements unfinished, this normally means the home owner is responsible for basement finishing at some point down the road, so codes are typically ignored in most cases. why pay for a building permit and then by doing so notify the county your home is worth more and more taxes need to be collected :lol: anyways in this case I think I am gonna cut out the drywall 2 feet up on monday so I should be able to get an idea of what is on either side and if it goes behind the fireplace, I guess I can use the injectidry nozzles to do something with it if needed, point is i think areas like this are overlooked by many restorers

There are plenty of less destructive ways of finding out. A borescope, IR camera, deep probing methods.
Tearing out 2' of drywall for an exploratory mission would be the absolute last thing I did.
We are hired to avoid that expense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom