Do you consider the SS870 a Vortex replacement?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
tmdry said:
Bob Savage said:
Ross,

It is a Cleaning Technologies (out of Georgia) 1984 TM, with a Honda 24 HP air cooled engine, Roots 45 blower, and Cat 290 pump, LP heater, with extensive modifications over the years.

Is it over driven by you or CT?

What is the over driven 45 blower compared to these days? Meaning, is it comparable to a 47 or 59 non over driven blower?
Bill-

When I purchased this TM from CT in 1984, the 45 was under-driven, and the 2.5" discharge port on the 45 was choked down to 1.5", and was then fed into a small silencer which also had the Onan engine exhaust going into it. Together the blower and engine exhausted on the front of the machine. You could just hear how choked down everything was.

So I went to a muffler shop and had the Onan exhaust routed through the van floor, under the van, through a sports car muffler, and out the other side of the van, pointing toward the front of the van.

I got a new Stoddard silencer with a 4" intake and exhaust, and plumbed it into the blower with 2 -45º bends to exhaust out the back of the van. That's why you hear the blower exhaust coming from the back of the van when it is running in the video. Then I put an 8" sheave on the Onan, and a 7" sheave on the 45 blower.

Later I increased the pulley size on the motor going to the Cat pump for more flow, when I converted over to dual wands.

you also said:
What is the over driven 45 blower compared to these days? Meaning, is it comparable to a 47 or 59 non over driven blower?
As far as CFM, it would be closer to the 47. The 59 would have more CFM than even the over-driven 45, but as you can see from the video, the OD (over-driven) 45 is a dual wand powerhouse.

We have run as much as 500' of vacuum hose and still had plenty of vacuum for cleaning.

I'm not selling anything here, just sharing what we have discovered over the years of cleaning, and it's this:

You do not need a huge truckmount to dual wand clean, as the bigger rig costs more, uses more fuel, needs a larger vehicle for mounting, which also uses more fuel, and both the larger TM and vehicle, have more expensive parts to eventually replace.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom