Do You Get The "Pre Job Jitters"?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
There are some nights that I just can't sleep because of an upcoming job the next day, cause I'm thinking it through too much. Nothing unusual or different about the jobs, but some just give me the jitters thinking how they will come out when finished. I'd say on new custys, or a huge tile job, or a big house with all carpet and furniture to be cleaned.

Been at it for 35 years, and still get 'em once a month or so. Maybe an extra Xanax would help......

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Funny....I think after 35 years you've seen just about everything.....and therefore know that anything can happen...and often does

I find that the more years I've been in the business the more butterflys I get when thinking about jobs etc.

I'm sure the egos here from the greatest cleaners on the planet never do :roll: ......I'm just sayin.

Bob Foster

For me jitters might be too strong a word because I don't loose sleep over a job. It only seems to happen when its a high end home when I haven't previewed the work before starting it.

No jitters on commercial because the worst that can happen to me is I might have to work a little harder or a little longer than usual and that's no big deal to me because I expect to work hard on commercial jobs.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have the occasional nightmare of being a Porty hack again.

Never worry about jobs anymore, just if the phone aint ringing.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I had the jitters the evening before the 80k sf commercial job because it was our first time above 4 floors, very long hose runs and a deadline to get it done in 3 days. After the first 8 hours I was tired from nervousness but knew we would get it done baring any breakdowns.

I think a little more when I'm going to a high end new customer. Sometimes I will get the jitters after landing a new commercial account that I have been trying to land for awhile then finally get them.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
BLewis said:
I had the jitters the evening before the 80 sf commercial job because it was our first time above 4 floors, very long hose runs and a deadline to get it done in 3 days. After the first 8 hours I was tired from nervousness but knew we would get it done baring any breakdowns.

I think a little more when I'm going to a high end new customer. Sometimes I will get the jitters after landing a new commercial account that I have been trying to land for awhile then finally get them.

Dang!!! 80 sqft in 3 days?!?!? That's like 26 sqft per day.. Gotta be hard work to do a size of a bathroom per day. :lol: :lol: shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Mike Draper

i get anxiety when i have to much work to do. I never get excited or nervous about jobs anymore though.

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:
I have the occasional nightmare of being a Porty hack again.

Never worry about jobs anymore, just if the phone aint ringing.

Eyz thought you'd loved da serva steam? Dreams of carring it up and down nasty NoHo appts for a wopping $16.95 at 35 percent !

thats like 7 bucks in your pocket G no wonder you quit!

:lol: :lol:

I dont sweat jobs no more I have the occasional dream I'm working for my dad with 40 customers an 2 tech's and Mikey wont get outta bed and come do 9 of dem.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I get them for night work that I want to get done as fast and smooth as possible(I pace back and forth a 1/2 hour before the job)... Other then that nothing really bothers me.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
right there with ya...

though mine happens when i have to get up and pee.....if its after 5 am...i am screwed, my brain is running 100 mph, going over the job, what i need, how i am going to set it up...etc....

then it sux while working i am tired....

then when i am done...i fell brammie new shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Name
Ron lippold
no jitters here we charge enough that if there is a little hickup no problem. i get up between 3-4 am. my day is well thought out before 7am

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this is a brain dead job..once you do it long enough you don't even think about what your doing anymore....

I did get real gun shy every time I turned on and shut off my old Vortex...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
floorguy said:
right there with ya...

though mine happens when i have to get up and pee.....if its after 5 am...i am screwed, my brain is running 100 mph, going over the job, what i need, how i am going to set it up...etc....

then it sux while working i am tired....

then when i am done...i fell brammie new shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Doug sums it up.........get up to pee, start thinking 'bout things at 100mph! I've about seen it all, did it all, cleaned it all. But there are times when I "overthink" whats coming up the next day. In 99.9% of jobs....all goes well.

It usually starts with a decently scheduled day of cleaning that suddenly has a job or 2 added in....last minute....for an insurance job, some ASAP rental cleaning......a WD job that needs addressed "first thing in the morning". Then my schedule goes all out of wack! If I had a second van and some PT flexible employees, that would help in these cases.

I just got a call for some furniture cleaning that needs to be done first thing in the morning. A great custy that I need to address, and therefore readjust my schedule.

Love this business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I will say that I never lose sleep over it...or anything else.

My attention span is way to short for insomnia.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
If I start to get whacky about it I just do my inventory. Once I can say I got everything I need in the van I forget all about it.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
I just completed my college turn , we completed 160 4 bedroom apartments in 3 days, Monday thru wed.
Sunday night I had a little trouble sleeping because it was a little overwhelming, felt good wednsday night when it was all over.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It use to bother me when I'd get a late night or early AM wdr call.

I'd have trouble going back to sleep, thinking about what they had, could they handle it? Do they need more equipment? Need a second crew? I'd toss and turn, a few times I just got dressed and just went to the site.
They were shocked to see me, I stayed until I felt it was under control and then either came back to bed or went in early to work.

Haven't actually done that in years, but do still have difficulty sleeping when I send them out in the night.

Bob Foster

With the type of jobs you do Richard that's quite an accomplishment. Tells me you got a real solid team working with you.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Dmreed4311 said:
I just completed my college turn , we completed 160 4 bedroom apartments in 3 days, Monday thru wed.
Sunday night I had a little trouble sleeping because it was a little overwhelming, felt good wednsday night when it was all over.

There's a lot that can go wrong in that short time frame they give you. Everything must go right. Tomorrow through Wed I must clean 1600 chairs, a 10000 sq ft banquet room, an 8000 sq ft sanctuary,and whatever else they throw at me(offices. dining room etc.) at a synagogue. It's the biggest job I plow through and Ive been doing it for 25 years, and it still gives me the jitters. But you feel good when it's done. On Thursday when I do my resi jobs they will feel like a walk in the park.

rugslayer

Some of you suckers are really sucking up the big jobs. Please revel in your success- you definitely earn it.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i'm still a noob, so glad to hear you old-timer's get nervous still to :mrgreen:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I decided to clean 3 4floor condos solo. I cleaned them before with a helper.
I wasnt jittery but I was running it through in my mind the night before how I would play it.
Went better than I thought, I think I even finished faster on my own than with a helper. Didn't even feel that tired. Goes back to that post about cleaning towards the hose rather than having to coil it behind you as you go.

Bob Foster

rugslayer said:
Some of you suckers are really sucking up the big jobs. Please revel in your success- you definitely earn it.

Its real simple. Do very good work and be nice to your customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom