do you get what you pay for or..

Mikey P

Administrator
do you get what the charge for?

My buddy f'd up an drilled into his fiberglass shower on the wrong side.
I referred this refinishing co. out of Reno to him, whom I thought did far better work

But I'll assume they sent a new hire down here (2 hours round trip and one hour to do this shit job)

1613494321513.png

1613494360449.png

He would have paid have paid $500 for a perfect job but they quoted him $125 over the phone to "fix" 6 holes...
He was to arrive at 1PM and dint show until 5pm

ah, the service industry and our amazing hiring pool....

Reactions: Nomad74

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My parents generation was the last generation that could properly raise kids

One of my repair/ installation men is 75, a veteran, and a very traditional Italian gentleman.

He just finished up a particularly difficult installation (had to pull a bad unit out of a beat up truck and install a slightly less bad unit back into it).

Just a really challenging, everything that could go wrong went wrong type of job. The type other guys have thrown tools and did a lot of swearing about.

I shook his hand and thanked him for doing a great job.

He just said:

"That's what you pay me to do".

He just smiles and cleans up his work place with a great attitude all the time....and shows up 15 minutes early every day.

He's better than three 25 year olds.

hogjowl

Idiot™
One of my repair/ installation men is 75, a veteran, and a very traditional Italian gentleman.

He just finished up a particularly difficult installation (had to pull a bad unit out of a beat up truck and install a slightly less bad unit back into it).

Just a really challenging, everything that could go wrong went wrong type of job. The type other guys have thrown tools and did a lot of swearing about.

He just said:

He just smiles and cleans up his work place with a great attitude all the time....and shows up 15 minutes early every day.

I sure wish you guys were in Pigsville

1900 North

Name
Richard Swan

He just said:

I hope you let him read your post. Sounds like a great guy.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
do you get what the charge for?

My buddy f'd up an drilled into his fiberglass shower on the wrong side.
I referred this refinishing co. out of Reno to him, whom I thought did far better work

But I'll assume they sent a new hire down here (2 hours round trip and one hour to do this shit job)

View attachment 106135

View attachment 106136

He would have paid have paid $500 for a perfect job but they quoted him $125 over the phone to "fix" 6 holes...
He was to arrive at 1PM and dint show until 5pm

ah, the service industry and our amazing hiring pool....

IMO-- Good enough for $125 and a savings of $375.
It's a shower stall, not a medical device.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Brian H

Name
Brian H
IMO-- Good enough for $125 and a savings of $375.
It's a shower stall, not a medical device.
If it was in my shower, I would notice and cuss under my breath every time I took a shower. My wife's brother and sister-in-law own a high end bath and kitchen remodeling company and they have done work in our home with a couple of bathrooms and a total kitchen tear out and remodel. The problem is that my wife's brother is ailing and has left the work to his staff. They do okay but don't have the eye for finishing detail. I notice all the flaws all the time.....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If it was in my shower, I would notice and cuss under my breath every time I took a shower. My wife's brother and sister-in-law own a high end bath and kitchen remodeling company and they have done work in our home with a couple of bathrooms and a total kitchen tear out and remodel. The problem is that my wife's brother is ailing and has left the work to his staff. They do okay but don't have the eye for finishing detail. I notice all the flaws all the time.....
At that age the homeowner probably won't even notice. However the next home purchaser will and they will want it done correctly.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
but would you have been willing to pay $500+?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
They do okay but don't have the eye for finishing detail.

most all competent contractors do 90% of the project fine.
the last 10% details is what separates the better from the best.
It's also generally reflected in the price.

CC'ing is no different.
we have the Stan's and Hagopians of the world*
and we have 1%'rs that massage individual fibers and clean baseboards too
Most are somewhere either side of the middle

*note, not implying there's a thing wrong with Stan and Hogopian.
Just that many consumers would opt for a higher level of service and willing to pay for it

It's a "fast food burger vs hi-end steak joint" kind of thing
(or trendyfaq sushi bar and stArbukz)

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Papa John

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
it wasn't a "guy" but rather a multi truck outfit. He was 4 hours late and I assume a new hire
Probably just a low priority "shit" job that was added to his day.

For $125.00 its doubtful you're going to get much. If he would have just paid a little more attention to detail it would have been fine.

Maybe he asked the old fart how it looked and the old dude said "great" not able to see the imperfections and the tech burned rubber getting home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom