Do You Groom Rentals?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I had a builder call and complain that I left shark tooth marks in his rental. He said he tried to vacuum them out and was not able to because I probably got the carpet too wet :roll: . I politely explained that we groom carpet for residential housing but not for rentals and there will be an extra cost if he wants the carpet groomed. I went back dampened the carpet and set the nap. I got the marks out 90% for him. Did not feel like steaming it again.

This guy kills me. I just went to his million dollar house to do transition work from carpet to tile. He tried to do it himself but chipped up his nice new slate tile hammering in tack strip :lol: . I don’t know how because he had the tack strip a full inch away from the tile :lol: .

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
no, most people would be mad...same with bank owned houses...They want to see it was...ummmm at least attempted....seen a few that well, it had the marks, but wasnt all that "clean"

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
A bank owned house is not a rental.

Between this guy and his brother they have 600 rental units (apartments, duplexes and townhomes). They give me volume but want it done cheep.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Actually we groom everything except Berber and commercial glue down.

It is a little more time but then rentals are usually vacant and we're moving far faster than if they were furnished. I prefer the groomed look over the saw tooth, but everyone is different, some actually like the sawtooth.

However if this is your first complaint in all these years, I wouldn't worry about it and just chalk it up to someone anal. :mrgreen:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Yea Richard, You also charge exactimate pricing for cleaning regardless of who it’s for. That’s why despite grooming you don’t clean many rentals.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
LOL yea Richard. If you want more rental work I can give you some tips. Spending more time cleaning an't going to be one of them.

I guess I should have told the guy told the guy the price I qouted was for "builders grade" carpet cleaning :lol: .

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well I RV most of them, and leave the pretty design with it...so i am good.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not had 1 in all my 16 yrs gripe or moan that it wasnt groomed :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

maybe you alls in the middle and ends of the country are weird 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Re: Re: Do You Groom Rentals?

floorguy said:
no, most people would be mad...same with bank owned houses...They want to see it was...ummmm at least attempted....seen a few that well, it had the marks, but wasnt all that "clean"

+1 They want it to be obvious that it was cleaned.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I groom them all.

Looks so much better and takes seconds to do the job right.

Adam

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Owners usually do not want me to groom rentals or for-sale properties when I explain that wand marks camoflage wear, fading, and other imperfections.

John Watson

My Helen has 2 Groomers, 1 is a rake for frizaes and some other cut piles, Plushes prefer #2 the brush.. Unless being moved in tomarro, Helen very seldom rakes rentals.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
08-04-02Bef-AftSheringhamPt24.jpg

08-04-02Bef-AftSheringhamPt21.jpg

No saw tooth marks, but still looks cleaned
This was with a hybrid glide. If you had no glide or were using a holed glide,, would look more even

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Johnny said:
wand marks camoflage wear, fading, and other imperfections.

'zaccally

as long as the wand strokes are all square, straight and even to the room, they don't look bad at all .
It's when they're all bumblefcked haphazard pattern they look like crAp

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I sometimes set the nap with the wand, but it takes longer than going back and grooming unless it a small area.

There are two ways of pricing rentals:

#1. A fair flat price for whatever the job takes.

#2. A loss leader price for prespray and extraction then nickel and dime the for all the extras: Vacuuming, prescrub, spot and stains, odor, repair. I guess Grooming just got added to the list.
You will have a much easer time getting in the door with the big property managers with the second pricing strategy. Is all they care about is your base price. If you charge extra for the nasty’s they just take it out of a deposit.

Burtz

I get down and set each fiber with a tooth brush

then come back the next day to give it a good vacuum job again

no reason to be a hack you just need to charge more they will pay when they see the quality in your work rental or not.

If you want to offer a lower price to get these rentals and then charge more for pre sprays and such, that's fine. But still take an extra 5 minutes and groom the carpet and make life easy on yourself. It's really not a dealbreaker is it?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Did I mention the customer is a builder?

I hate builders they always try to bully contractors and expect you to drop everything and work for them with no notice. One of their strategies is to criticize your work to see if you will discount the bill.

He said his last carpet guy stopped returning his calls :roll: .

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
NinjaSkilz1212 said:
If you want to offer a lower price to get these rentals and then charge more for pre sprays and such, that's fine. But still take an extra 5 minutes and groom the carpet and make life easy on yourself. It's really not a dealbreaker is it?

1000 rentals a year x 5 minutes = 83.3 hours of grooming carpet. I found that if you start letting people ask you to do more for the same price it snowballs real fast.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ACE said:
NinjaSkilz1212 said:

1000 rentals a year x 5 minutes = 83.3 hours of grooming carpet. I found that if you start letting people ask you to do more for the same price it snowballs real fast.

Not only that but after years of doing it while working with my dad (we used the vonschader system, and it needed to be raked/groomed) Ask me how my shoulder feels now :x :x :x :x :x :x

Same with my wrists and knees, when we use to "cut" the edges because the machine didnt get up to them...

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
To groom or not to groom, I've been wondering about that myself.Not just on rentals but on all carpets.I'm relatively new abut I did notice that not grooming does seem to hide wear patterns that might make a customer think i did not do a good job cleaning.
I personally like the look of the marks and if I do vaccants, the marks actually show that the carpet was done even if nobody saw me there doing it.
On the other hand if carpet is in really good shape i'll groom it, because I know it will look really nice. Or if I forget something in a room (turn the lights of,open the window,forget a spotting bottle...)and I have to walk back over the freshly cleaned carpet. i don't want to be the first to leave footprints.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I don't see the point in vacuuming or grooming if your doing HWE

The whole point of spending that much money on a TM is to have the machine do the work.

No way in hell I'm doing "again" what the wand at the end of the machine will do the first time.

Carry on.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian R said:

The whole point of spending that much money on a TM is to have the machine do the work.

No way in hell I'm doing "again" what the wand at the end of the machine will do the first time.

Carry on.

I keep telling you, that's because you were born and raised the "Chem-Lie" way
It's easier for you to rationalize all your bullshit compared to the guys that care about doing QUALITY work

..l.T.A.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Burtz said:

no reason to be a hack you just need to charge more they will pay when they see the quality in your work rental or not.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Burtz said:

Are you freakin joking dude?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
meAt said:
Brian R said:

Carry on.

I keep telling you, that's because you were born and raised the "Chem-Lie" way
It's easier for you to rationalize all your bullshit compared to the guys that care about doing QUALITY work

..l.T.A.

Yeah, because nobody lies about HWE or anything. :roll:

Quality work is clean and not burning down the house.
You can wank it like Werner all you want but at some point Quality stops and anal, self loving, ego driven BS starts.

Good luck with that.

Dont' hurt me Lar

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom