do you have set prices or not?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i don't.

i'm sure i am in the minority with that 1.

the only "set" price i give out is a $120 minimum...and lately i have been letting that fall to $90 or $100.

i look at a job and factor in: the client + the carpet's level of apparent maintenance + the soil level + how long i reckon it will take me + how bad do i want the job = a wide range of per sq.ft. prices.

why is "set pricing" better?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
In principle there is nothing wrong with it.
The only potential problem that I can see is that if your other clients find out that someone they know paid less, they may not like it.

I guess if you are very upfront about it, and explain why you charge less or more, it may be less of a problem.

However most clients , do not like it if they know that someone paid less than them. It can also send a message that your prices can be negotiated down.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Also set prices do not mean rigid.
I have a per square foot charge with $169.00 minimum.
Some clients pay more if I consider it more of a restoration cleaning.
Also if the carpet is very clean and the work can be done very fast, I'll give them a discount after I'm done.

G

kolfer1 said:
Also set prices do not mean rigid.
I have a per square foot charge with $169.00 minimum.
Some clients pay more if I consider it more of a restoration cleaning.
Also if the carpet is very clean and the work can be done very fast, I'll give them a discount after I'm done.

A simple " prices vary according to condition " pretty much lays that objection to rest doesnt it ??

TimP

I have a set price for customers over the phone. I try to stick to it unless I see a reason why I can give a discount as in time savings. Empty rooms rentals etc have a preset discount. I try to base it on what my competitors charge to get the work unless I don't care about getting it as with upholstery in my case.

I don't want a customer calling and chewing me or my wife out for charging too much etc compared to their buddy. And where I'm at people are pretty close. I have been known to charge an extravagant price if a customer is one I don't want. I did a job today in which I wish had charged double and is one that I'll refuse to do again.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
James Cooper said:
A simple " prices vary according to condition " pretty much lays that objection to rest doesnt it ??
is how i do it, no problemo.

"how much do you charge?"

"that will vary depending on different factors. for instance, the larger amount of sq.ft. to clean, the lower the rate. let's schedule a time for me to come in and measure things up so that i can give you an exact price. this way we are both on the same page, and we both know what to expect."

if it is a resi prospect, depending where they live, i tactfully ask them to give me measurements of each room and go down the laundry list of probing questions.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
What are your probing questions? I've never had any "training" in that area. And I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of things out of the Q&A that would help me do a better job pricing my jobs/estimates over the phone.

I'll ask:
How long has it been since it was professionally cleaned?
Any particular area of concern or needs special attention? I try to prime the pump to get information. "Do you have any problem areas or spots/stains like ie: wine, koolaid, coffee, grease, paint, pet odors or urine stains".

Do you guys use this opportunity to seed plant the seed for up selling protector or any other product/service sales?

Thanks for the help!
Bill

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
probing questions for resi, well i only do 30-40 homes per year, and have only done maybe 200 different homes ever. obviously that is VERY low, so i aint no expert heh.

i dont care when it was last cleaned so much, or what method was used.

- i ask what kind of carpet it is "berber or plush?"
- "what color is the carpet" (i'm thinking can i possibly use 40 vol)
- "have any pets? dog or cat?" (i don't do cat, dog urine contamination i have great success with.)
- "is there anything in particular wrong with the carpet, or is it just normal soiling" (do they have a problem with feces or urine or stains or water damage or etc...)

off the top of my head that is what i ask normally. :)

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Thanks Derek.. I guess I had the bases covered for the most part.

What's been your technique/style for approaching, getting, securing commercial sales accounts/contracts?

I really want to get into more commercial to flatten out my highs and low with seasonal business. I know this is off topic for the thread, I apologize. Can you PM me or can I PM or call you with questions.. if you have time to provide answers, suggestions, guidance.

Thanks in advance
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom