Do you recall your first attempts at low moisture/dry cleaning?

Mikey P

Administrator
I sure do..

With this 13" turd, a loopy bonnet, some OMS and an auto dealership glue down..

1615392371823.png

the HWE only is a hard mindset to break...

Next came a CRB, a Cimex, 5 or so OPs and finally the WGCCM; the PHX

• Haha
Reactions: LCCFL
Name
Steve Lawrence
I used one of Geurkink's old blue machines that needed to be kick started every time cuz it was so underpowered. How did he use that POS for so many years? Worked okay, though. Worked much better with a motor upgrade. Memories. Yeah, we constantly upgraded our low moisture system until we got the WGCCM--PHX!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
I used one of Geurkink's old blue machines that needed to be kick started every time cuz it was so underpowered. How did he use that POS for so many years? Worked okay, though. Worked much better with a motor upgrade. Memories. Yeah, we constantly upgraded our low moisture system until we got the WGCCM--PHX!
lol, you probably didnt have the skidder under the bonnet that covered up 60% of the cotton surface

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
YES,
I used a 13 inch 175 machine as well. Still have and use it often. did a lot of reading on the IICRC board, had my local distr. order me some bonnets those green stripe ones. Since they did not CONDONE other methods .and stock such blasphemous, ungodly stuff. !!! LOL!
Also , ordered some of those flat bonnets and juice from Argosheen!!

Was not satisfied at all , until, I ran across a used CCS machine here, and got with it a bunch of Glads.
Which to me was the game changer. ,, the bonnets. , not neccessarily the machine. though I still use it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rotary bonnet early 90s with bonnet juices and lighter fluid (Argosheen)
JohnGee red Conquer early '00s
sCum 'n run encRap about the same time with rotary and VCT pads

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Mine was with a 175 at a financial center’s 2000sq ft office. And it was a headache

JeffC

Name
Jeff
I started in the early 80s. Although I had done a fair amount of bonnet cleaning over the years with limited success the first time I saw the Cimex was in St Louis at a Summerfest. I had been reading about it on the boards and when I first saw it in action, I was not impressed at all. It was the only Cimex I’ve ever seen without a tank and they were using brushes. The next time I saw it I can’t remember but I think it was in Florida, I bought it on the spot. Thanks to Rick Gelinas. It’s been my main cleaning method for the last 20 years or so.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I started in the early 80s. Although I had done a fair amount of bonnet cleaning over the years with limited success the first time I saw the Cimex was in St Louis at a Summerfest. I had been reading about it on the boards and when I first saw it in action, I was not impressed at all. It was the only Cimex I’ve ever seen without a tank and they were using brushes. The next time I saw it I can’t remember but I think it was in Florida, I bought it on the spot. Thanks to Rick Gelinas. It’s been my main cleaning method for the last 20 years or so.
Jeff was kind enough to show Dan & I what he was doing with low moisture. It helped greatly to not just read about it but experience it.

Many thanks Jeff!

Name
Jeff T
Getting started late in the industry, I’d already bought a Brushpro CRB... I believed the hype about encap with it.
My first VLM job was for a tech company full of millennials....

Besides having to pick up what amounts to children’s items, (fleece blankets, toys, slippers, toy swords etc), I then proceeded to prespray with an electric sprayer, and went to work...

This is the job that taught the importance of vacuuming BEFORE doing VLM.
When I finished, I spent the better half of a hour picking up carpet poops....

I then graduated to a Cimex, then 2, ran them for the last several years.

This year I got my first jiggler....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Opposite

My father had been cleaning with bonnets and vct pads back in the 60’s. My evening/Saturday job was to keep his detergent to supply mixed and ready.

What I remember (and HATED!) was his first portable extractor (we called them steam machines back then).

Now I had to bring him clean water and take away dirty water. Twice as much work for the same pay (nothing 😆)

I hated his switch to “steam”

Mikey P

Administrator
Opposite

My father had been cleaning with bonnets and vct pads back in the 60’s. My evening/Saturday job was to keep his detergent to supply mixed and ready.

What I remember (and HATED!) was his first portable extractor (we called them steam machines back then).

Now I had to bring him clean water and take away dirty water. Twice as much work for the same pay (nothing 😆)

I hated his switch to “steam”

If only they had Crocs back then..

Corners and edges stole your youth...

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If only they had Crocs back then..

Corners and edges stole your youth...

No kidding. Bucket, brush, and hands and knees.

I did learn a lot of vocabulary back then too though...

...most of which got me into big trouble with my mother when repeated later. Then it got me into even more trouble with my father when I informed her where I received my education on what to say when things go wrong.

F

FB7777

Yea 175 and bonnet. Joey Picket, Bob Bonwell both were pushing us to try it in the mid 80's.

It looked ok but didn't make sense when HWE was so easy.
back in 1988 , fresh outta my Mutual Fund hawking career Daze, I went to work for a janitor that used to shower feed soap on commercial carpet and charge huge money for carpet cleaning

the account called us back the following week screaming that the carpet looked worse and he was correct

Kennedy Carpet Cleaning came in after us and made the carpet look awesome

I quit that drunken dipshit, stole a few toilet scrubbing accounts and bought a Bane Clene machine

the amount I know about low moisture you could tattoo on Marty’s boo-boo neck

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Started with rotary foam shampoo. At times I used a 175 and bonnet with Deep Action from Hillyard chemicals. Worked great if you could tolerate the fumes.

Speaking of Hilyard... When I was a little kid about 7-8 years old, my parents were living in Minnesota while my dad finished up college at the University of Minnesota. After he graduated they planned to move back to Florida. But over the winter they got a chance to rent a very nice house on Gull Lake in Brainard. Some rich guy wanted to keep his pipes from freezing so he rented the house out to my parents for a low enough price they could afford. The rich guy who owned the house was Mr. Hillyard, of the Hillyard chemical company. This would've been about 1968. I've often joked there must've been something in the wallboards or something - because look what industry I landed in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom