Do you rug guys add 1% of the rug's value to the bill?

Greenie

damn....that is crafty.
I don't necessarily agree with it, but crafty none the less...Yes mam' the replacement cost of your investment grade textile is $25,000? that'll be another $250 on the bill....oh...what is that, it's actually only worth $5000? ok...$50 it is...please SIGN HERE.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Dishonest!

You are paid to clean a rug no value one beyond that most owners don’t actually know the value of their rugs, you can’t even identify one let alone establish a value that’s why you have insurance ...you do have insurance right?...and your cleaning price should reflect the aggregate cost of business.

We had a local rug appraiser that would base his appraisal price on the value of the rug there are some obscenely over priced rugs in Portland.

Greenie

I just want to know how many COIT customers got hussled into paying the "additional" amount?

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
I read or heard somewhere that a rug should be cleaned for 10 % of the total value of the rug.My question was "How do you know what the value is?" Response was;"ask the owner.

Fast forward a few years,I have been surprised at how many actually do know the purchase price of their rug(s). A few have even given me the full history...60 years worth :|

Patrick

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've heard of people charging a percentage of value as their cleaning charge, but not adding a percentage to the cleaning charge. Tell me there's more to the story!?

If they are truly adding this charge to their current price, it seems to be an audacious add-on scam. It costs them nothing and adds no value to the order, and no matter what value the customer says, they get to tack on an extra charge. If I'm a customer this would chase me away. If I'm a crafty customer I'd say the rug has only sentimental value and let them try to put an extra charge on that.

If their stated purpose is keeping the customer from inflating the value of the rug, I don't believe that. The value of the rug only comes into play as part of your risk, and only matters if you do some damage. At that point you get an outside appraisal or two to establish value anyway, because what the customer paid or thinks the rug is worth isn't what you pay.

PS: Ed Cross did a great series on legal tangles called "Winning the Slime Wars" which told about how the perception of your company makes the difference between winning and losing. I'd like to see how this policy would play out in court.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I don't like the sound of it, but can see why some companies would do it. They have a WRITTEN value provided for them from the customer clearly stating the value of the rug.

What the customer won't necessarily realise is the possibility of that info biting her in the backside in the event of a claim against the cleaner if it all turns to custard and the crap hits the fan.

John

Jose Smith

I don't recall the Coits I did work with charging in addition to. Instead, they would base the entire price on the value of the rug.

This never worked for our franchise. Customers were too smart and claim a lesser value. The chances of the rug being damaged were small. We knew this but got stuck cleaning $15,000 rugs that were claimed as $1000. Not good if you do the math.

I wouldn't advise this pricing method.

Jose Smith

Greenie

Jose, that is the tail waging the dog, you didn't really allow that to happen did you?

Ahem...Mrs. Piff, It's $4 a square plus fringes OR 10% of the value, whichever is higher.

Jose Smith

Perhaps you misread, or misunderstood the post. Sorry, I will clarify.

Our franchise set our own pricing. However, after a little "suggestion" from the corporate office, we tried their pricing scheme (a percentage of the declared value). We tried this on a few of our customers, but it was obvious from the first day that it would never work.

We quickly returned to our square foot pricing we were used to.

Sorry for the previous confusing post.

Jose Smith

John Watson

Bob Renolds, J & S Steamway in Anchorage AK had a sign behind their counter " The cost to do your rug is 50% of the value " Bob said he had lots of expencive rugs they cleaned for $50-100.00. He had new trainees hit them with a TM. Very few problems..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom