Do you work on your own Equipment?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you are trying to run a business why would you ever work on your own equipment.
Seems to me that the down time of a TM could be well spent on Marketing or just running your office.
I justify paying someone else to do it because I need time to make millions...give it time.

I think that some are self-respecting craftsmen in CCing and in Mechanics and I can appreciate that. But it just seems like you would be spinning your wheels (no pun intended) with this and your CC business would become more of a job because of it.

Able 1

Name
Keith
If I have a breakdown go to the local guy and rent a truckmount and they fix mine... To not maintain your own TM is just pissing your money away!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Your missin the point Mr. Able.
Small fixes I can understand (well almost) but rebuilds of components and all that?
Spreading yourself too thin.

Don't rent, just get it fixed and get back on the road.

Name
I'm Rick James
As you know I had a few problems with my TM. The stater wire got sliced, the starter fried and I hope Les helped me fix my problem with why it wont start back up. I get the starter tomorrow and once that is done I can get to work. I am getting somewhat busy now.

I have an easy TM to work on and I like to know everything about my TM incase it breaks down in the middle of a job. There is some stuff I will do and there is some stuff I will pay someone to do. I have more time than some of you so right now I have the luxery.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian Robison said:
If you are trying to run a business why would you ever work on your own equipment.

because it will back in service sooner.
I also know all repairs were done right.

..L.T.A.

lesterj2

as long as i dont have to rebuild nothing im fine...
but i havent had any trouble out of my machine as of yet...
(*knocks on wood..)

Name
I'm Rick James
lesterj2 said:
as long as i dont have to rebuild nothing im fine...
but i havent had any trouble out of my machine as of yet...
(*knocks on wood..)

Thats great to hear that everything is running good, when I first saw it I figure you might have some issues. You keeping busy now, what kind of marketing you doing.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Don't rent, just get it fixed and get back on the road.[/quote]

I do respect your point but I use the time when custy's cancel to do my advertising.

I rent a HM direct drive for $100.00 a day and keep ALL my appointments!

Chads

Supportive Member
I usually will do all the work myself because,
I can do it cheaper,
I can do it faster,
I dont have to drive to a shop and have to leave my truck there for a week while they try to find time to get to it,
and because I'm not to super busy yet I have time. And soon will have a good back up tm just in case,
just have to find a cheap trailer and money to but a cheap trailer.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I understand what everyone is saying.

Do you get that, the more you spend time on the TM the less time you have to grow your business?

I think this is just two different types of people.

I understand cheaper, quicker, maybe even better. It just seems so secondary.

If your business is growing, you don't need cheaper, quicker and you can demand better.

It's all relative.

Chads

Supportive Member
If it wasnt about the money and biz was that good I would have extra parts for all those break down times and then I could get up and running even faster. If the parts are there, there is no reson you cant be up and running in one day.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Futhermore if "Image is everything" do you think your custy's want to hear your s*it is broke? How many referals could you expect then? I like to have my custy's think that everything is going smooth even when it's not so much...

P.S. I have taken the stuff off my dashboard!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Good one Keith.

If my TM is broke down for the day, I sub out to the CCer with the best image if I need to get a carpet done.

Moser Bros.

I rarely have problems with my DynaChem truckmount. I don't even like cleaning out own van, I usually have my helper do it, and when I have enough money, I pay to them to clean my house, I got into carpet cleaning to make $100 plus an hour and because I'm lazy, I don't want to work till I die, I want to retire someday and not have to worry about my bills and chores.

p.s. I work my ass off now so, I won't have to when I'm old.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I usually change the oil and fuel filter as needed. Changed the water pump oil when it needed it and have done the first 50/100/150 services as needed, tourqued the nuts as needed, etc

but today the PTO wouldn't run, tried fixing it but ended up taking it in to be fixed, works fine now

Chris A

Name
Chris
no TM repairman close to me, so I'm more or less stuck doing it myself.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
No one touches my machine but me........save yourself ...time...money..and a whole lot of aggravation and learn your equipment and maintain it yourself.....

Jay D

Name
Jay D
YES, when needed. I have a hard time just trusting auto mechanics much less other people working on my livelyhood making machine. Most repairs are alot quicker for me and I get right on it, not wait in line at a repair shop. If it is a engine problem(seldom) thats what i take to the mower shop if I can't figure it out myself.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I work on some things ... those things that I can repair fairly quickly ... and I have no problem running it out to a repair shop for the major things. I repaired my slide-in on Friday when one of my valve assemblys fell apart during a job, because I could do it quickly and get back in service sooner. My V was already in the shop, and I needed my slide in to continue working. My V is at a local repair shop because I was wasting way too much time trying to diagnose the problem myself and getting nowhere. My time is better spend working my business.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian Robison said:
I understand what everyone is saying.

Do you get that, the more you spend time on the TM the less time you have to grow your business?

I understand cheaper, quicker, maybe even better. It just seems so secondary.

If your business is growing, you don't need cheaper, quicker and you can demand better.

It's all relative.

Brian, I'll address the "you can demand better" comment first.
Not all TM mechanics are created equal.
I donno about your hood, but there's not an over abundance of top line TM mechanics here.
It means an hour and half drive one way to the nearest dude I'd trust to touch my equipment.

Now for your "seems secondary" point.
Why would I take my money maker out of service longer than need be?
If parts are available or on hand, most repairs can be made in about the same amount of time as you spend on the board everyday .
and TMs don't break down that often (or shouldn't anyway) and most of those break downs are simple fixes.
A pump can be removed, rebuilt and installed in less time than it takes to drive to a repair facility.

again, why take the TM out of service longer than need be?

it IS all relative

see what I'm sayin'?

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I get it.

I guess I have the luxury of a shop right around the corner.
Those that are further away or have crappy mechanics they can't trust I can understand working on TM your self for the most part.

If I were you I would relocate to where the shop is because I would imagine that is where the work it as well. But not everyone can do that.

To have a company that grows and grows you need the resources to let you do your thing...no matter what.

Accounting, office managing, selling, cleaning, maintenance...sooner or later you can't do it all and be successful.

A business owner should delegate all things related to keeping the money pouring in.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Brian Robison said:
Seems to me that the down time of a TM could be well spent on Marketing or just running your office.
I justify paying someone else to do it because I need time to make millions...give it time.

I think that some are self-respecting craftsmen in CCing and in Mechanics and I can appreciate that. But it just seems like you would be spinning your wheels (no pun intended) with this and your CC business would become more of a job because of it.

I do all my own work and stock all replacement parts. It will be done faster and done right the first time. Also, when you get to know every nut and bolt on your system you can trouble shoot fast and fix or rig a quick fix to finish a job or day if something goes wrong.

The problem with your question is (A): you assume everyone has a good supplier to go to. Most don't. TM mechanics are usually very low paid and there is a high turnover. (B): If have don't have enough work that you scan spend time marketing while you wait a week to get your truck fixed you probably can't afford to pay someone to fix it.

I hate having to cancel a job and so avoid it at all cost.

Ernie G

We do simple maintenance stuff, and have service schedule for the trucks,I'm not handy and I know it. We don't have many break- downs(knock on wood) but we usually have an extra truck available. But I think its great to have it in-house.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I carry 2 separate vacuum systems in my Astro van (for dual wanding). I also carry 3 separate pressure pump systems (always testing). In addition, I carry 2 heating systems (one LP, one electric), so it's rare I can't do a job when I am out cleaning and something malfunctions.

I usually repair evertything myself that I can repair.

Just recently, I had an Onan 20 HP engine throw a rod (4600 hrs.) on our slide-in. I ordered a new Honda 24 HP motor, and paid my mechanic $100 to make it fit where the Onan was. Then a week later, the Roots #45 blower finally went out. I had my wife pick up a new blower while I was out working.

The next day I swapped out original blower for the new one, replaced a pulley, belt, and some plumbing, replaced the old silencer which had a huge hole in the side (monster 4" intake and exhaust X 4 feet long). What a messy job, but it went well.

G

i do everthing my self with the help of newengland steamway (paul and shane) i cant drive there im in new york there in conn ivce done everthing my self with all the swearing i still get it done by my self nobody around here that does it. campus

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm sure he wouldn't call the Geek Squad if his PC didn't work! :p

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You think he would crack that thing open himself?
Maybe for shit's and giggles but he wouldn't do it on the operating systems that runs his company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom