Do you work on your own Equipment?

Able 1

Name
Keith
True, but I think it's a little different then a TM thats JMO. I would rather Work on my stuff and hire someone do the advertising... Think of the money you waste taking it in when you could do it yourself and use that money for ads. I really think it's a wash because TM's don't really don't break down that often at least mine hasn't so I think it wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

If it's something I can handle, I do it myself. My closest distributor is an hour away, so not only does it save me time and money, I get a sense of satisfaction in doing it myself.

TimP

I do maintanence myself. Change blower oil, pump oil, van oil. If it's beyond me it's off to somewhere to get it fixed cause I can't nor wont do the difficuilt things. But if it seems simple enough I'll do it. The closests place to get it fixed is 180 miles away as far as I know....so it better be damn hard to do for me to take it in.

Also I don't even trust the local mechanics to even change the oil in my cars.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
meAt said:
Brian Robison said:
If you are trying to run a business why would you ever work on your own equipment.

because it will back in service sooner.
I also know all repairs were done right.

..L.T.A.

uh huh, i have a few things that were NOT done right....

dont tell me just cuz its a "shop" they fix it right...

why you think i like being there when they fix it...then i can watch and sometimes learn..more important to watch

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I knew my old tm better than the tech in the area. The tech knows HM and CLeanco pto units and tm basics, so if if its something out of my scope, I'll take it in, otherwise I'll fix it or maintain it or modify it so it won't ever break that way again.

If my client "needs" it done "right now" I'll get help.
If not, once I explain, they'll wait.

maker

Able 1 said:
True, but I think it's a little different then a TM thats JMO. I would rather Work on my stuff and hire someone do the advertising... Think of the money you waste taking it in when you could do it yourself and use that money for ads. I really think it's a wash because TM's don't really don't break down that often at least mine hasn't so I think it wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

I agree. I would rather pay someone to do almost every other aspect of running a carpet cleaning business. If your truck breaks down you can't make money. If your marketing stops you can still do your regular customers.

I think it has a lot to do with the faith you have in your mechanic. I had a real good mechanic for a while and he did almost everything on my van. He hired someone else to do the mechanic work and things went downhill quickly. I spent a lot of money on little problems. That's when I learned to do most of it myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom