Dodge Sprinter question

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Has anyone bought, or seen a 2008 sprinter equipped with the gasoline engine option?

Dodge says it is not available in 08, yet I have an 08 brochure that lists it as an option. Dodge dealers I have called said that it was available in 07, but since they were a dog seller and they still have 07 inventory, the option has been ignored and they don't even know if it can be had.

TimP

I was checking out the sprinter on the dodge website. I was checking to see how much it was in gas....there was no option for it. I think dodge droped the gas engine in 2008.

The sprinter seems like an excellent idea.....at least in the design of the body...being able to stand up is awesome. However diesel costing what it does right now it's a bit dead. Anyways I can't see myself paying 40 grand on a van when you can get a chevy or ford van for under 28 grand....I paid around 24 for my 1 ton extended with 6.0 l engine for an 2007.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
last i heard it was only on the short wb low roof , not on any of the lwb hi roof vans....

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
why would you want gasoline engine for the sprinter. diesels typically last longer. and will tow around the weight alot better.

TimP

Cause gas engines are cheaper for one......gas cost less right now for two even if you take into consideration the fuel economy difference.

The only thing diesel has going for it is longevity and that means nothing to me for my carpet cleaning truck as I don't do enough miles to take advantage of that. Once my van gets to a certain age the body will look like crap and I'll want to ditch it. Even a gas engine will outlast what I'll be using it for. Especially with a slide in.

RandyHilburn

At 25 miles per gallon, the cost of operating a Sprinter diesel is less than my gasoline van. However, IMO the Sprinter is overpriced.

TimP

The new sprinter with 3.0 l v-6 diesel engine gets 20 mpg hwy. The old 2.7 l 5 cyl engine gets from what I've heard 23-26 mpg. They don't make the 5 cyl anymore mostly due to low sulfer gas. From what I've read they don't hold up too well with the low sulfer diesel hence the reason they stoped making them with the 5 cyl engine.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
RandyHilburn said:
IMO the Sprinter is overpriced.

I think so too. I like the sprinter but run the numbers there's no real savings ford f-150 lists for 26K the sprinter I looked at listed for 40K …14 K can buy a whole lot of fuel and they can't run on biodiesel above 5% anymore

Greenie

They don't make the 5 cyl?
Mercedes made that for decades, very tried and true. I'm surprised. I drove Cu's 5 cyl after the Reactor install, plenty of power.

TimP

They may make them in other countrys. But you can't get a 5 cyl new anymore in the US. Like I said the low sulfer diesel is the reason they changed, it isn't as lubricating and the engine ends up having problems unless you add some sort of lubrication to the fuel. At least that's is what I've read on the sprinter forums.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Shawn,
It may be that they just don't have their paperwork in order given that Daimler and Chrysler are divorced. It also may be that the majority of salesmen are just like regular people (lazy asses) and the time and effort involved in making a phone call or actually learning their products is just too much of a burden.

I always recommend finding a dealer that has a real fleet manager, because you can't get flip out windows or a factory back up alarm on a GMC van according to the option list, but the fleet guy knows that they are available and knows the codes to get them.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
TimP said:
Cause gas engines are cheaper for one......gas cost less right now for two even if you take into consideration the fuel economy difference.

The only thing diesel has going for it is longevity and that means nothing to me for my carpet cleaning truck as I don't do enough miles to take advantage of that. Once my van gets to a certain age the body will look like crap and I'll want to ditch it. Even a gas engine will outlast what I'll be using it for. Especially with a slide in.

I agree, i have a GMC gas 5.7 liter, 3500. It has 220,000 miles and runs great. The body is looking old at this point so the longetitvity of the deisel wouldnt make sense for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom