Does anybody ever encap car interiors?

I'm was wondering the the scenario below would be an effective way to clean car interiors...

1. Pre-Vac with a shop-vac and a rug rat attachment.
2. use a shampoo brush drill attachment to encap the carpet and upholstery using a product like hot knife
3. For trashed vehicles, follow up with a light extraction rinse to keep the upholstery as dry as possible.

What do you think the results would be with the Hot Knife? Do you think it would be better to have a pad driver for the drill and use small tuway type pads?

Just curious if anyone is cleaning this way, or if it's a waste of energy and I should just stick to HWE on cars.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
It's do-able but the the head rests usually needs a good flush... Especially if the owner works in an industrial/manufacturing or restaurant setting.

randy

Name
Randy
The idea of encapping upholstery is just a bit crusty if you ask me. Personally I think it's one we should all just forget along with cleaning air ducts with attachments to your truck mount , in house drapery cleaning with aerosol-ed solvents & a mask, and last but definitely not least : the leaving of tracts /religious materials & a mint on the customer's pillow.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
You can do a good job with a decent SHAMPOO(not encap), a brush, and an extractor that doesn't rinse.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
No, at one time they made wet/dry vacs with 3-stage vac motors. Now its just standard to basically use a portable.

I think I used a Mytee one when I was 14-16 detailing car with my mom.

Walt

CleanImage said:
I'm was wondering the the scenario below would be an effective way to clean car interiors...

1. Pre-Vac with a shop-vac and a rug rat attachment.
2. use a shampoo brush drill attachment to encap the carpet and upholstery using a product like hot knife
3. For trashed vehicles, follow up with a light extraction rinse to keep the upholstery as dry as possible.

What do you think the results would be with the Hot Knife? Do you think it would be better to have a pad driver for the drill and use small tuway type pads?

Just curious if anyone is cleaning this way, or if it's a waste of energy and I should just stick to HWE on cars.

I used to clean repo'd cars (really bad). The interiors were so soiled there was no way to flush it out.

Lay mats out and soak with powerful prespray - don't let dry.

vac car - every nook and cranny.

Steam any big flat areas (like the back of an SUV) and areas where feet rub.

Mix up encap (I like release it for this task) with peroxide and use immediately. 2-4 ounces of encap in spray bottle and one once of 40 vol. Wear gloves.

Spray and agitate with a folded wet towel. Seats and edges will clean easily as will the headliner (don't get in eyes). Towel dry.

Encap steamed areas to help prevent wicking

Power wash mats. Flush until no dirt is coming out. Vac off excess water

Spray light colored mats with encap/peroxide mix. Scrub in with brush and set out to dry, preferably in the sun.

I've tried numerous ways. Certainly there are things that have to be extracted, but for the edges, seats, and head liners encap is the way to go.

Mikey P

Administrator
Some old fart told me that if you whack car carpet with a rubber mallet real quick like, it will bring all the embedded dry soil to the surface.

I've yet to try it.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
Some old fart told me that if you whack car carpet with a rubber mallet real quick like, it will bring all the embedded dry soil to the surface.

I've yet to try it.

"Now Werner will be using a "Jack-Hammer "..to remove MORE dry soil..:shock:

Remind me to never take you on a "Bank-Heist".... :wink:

lance

You have to loosen the dirt in the carpet before you clean it. I use a carpet brush with black bristles to dry scrub the mats and carpets before the vac. A rugrat and a crevice tool will work very well.

Seats are easy to clean with a brush and HWE. They usually dry in about an hour. For the carpets and mats use extra PS and a scrub brush. Vac up the PS and then rinse everything well with lots of hot water. I use a spray gun and an uphol. tool as that works better and easier than a regular tool that most CC'ers have.

The very dirty carpets sometimes have to be cleaned twice but they almost always come out looking very good. I also have a vapor steamer with microfiber towels to clean the doors, dash, etc. That combo works very well and saves me a lot of time compared to useing soap and water.

Name
I'm Rick James
I just did a SUV, the ceiling fabric had little kid fingerprints on it and other soiling. I just vacuumed it really well, pretreated it and used a wet towel to extract and it looked amazing. For the rest I just used my TM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom