DOING IT IN THE DARK WITH OUR RUGS

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
I’m looking to replace our ancient lighting in our rugcleaning plant.

I no longer can replacethe fluorescent lamps for these fixtures. Any suggestions or recommendations on what to replace them with? The fixtures will hang about 14’ high. I’m looking for high output that gives naturallight if possible. LEDs are too pricey.

Last edited:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We just replaced all of ours in our plant and the rest of the facility. Between the DTE Energy credit and the reduced electricity the payoff is about a year and then money savings plus better light ongoing.

Email me if u'd like the specs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Joe Appleby

Jimbo

'We use a mix of florescent and metal halide 400 watt lights'

sounds like a lot of light!

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Unfortunatly the incentive date for our power company expired Dec. 31st.
Looks like T8 high output. I can't find "Daylight" T8 lamps. Any of you know if they make them?

We just put up solar a few months ago and I'm also installing some skylights. Do they
make a TM Prius?

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
What replaced the T12 HO (High Output) lights is the new T5 fluorescent lights. They also have an electronic ballast and are energy efficient. They come in 4 ft lengths which can be paired to make 8 foot fixtures. Your local electric supplier will probably have those in stock. I have them in my shop, and love them! They are on in an instant, and give great light!

Shawn

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Your skylights will make a huge difference. They're white right? I'd like to cut a few more holes in our roof.

The typical cool white is rated at about 4-4,200 Kelvin (Kelvin=color temperature), pure white at about 5-5,500 K and daylight are 6,500K. The highest lumen (lumen=brightness) lights will be harsh and create stark shadows, use them and your shop will feel like a Soviet prison camp. Bulb manufacturer's websites can be a good resource for choosing bulbs, but you might have to buy a few and see how they look.

If your fixtures are in good shape they can be retrofitted with a kit to change a two-lamp fixture using eight foot lamps into a four lamp fixture using four foot lights. Really easy to convert four foot fixtures. Might take longer to swap, but old fixtures are ten times more sturdy than anything you can buy now. If you're going to change fixtures it might be worth looking into pulse-start low bay lights. You don't need many because they throw light better and farther than fluorescents. The bulbs cost about the same as HO T8s and last longer.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ya know....

When a guy like Joe Appleby come to my board to get questions like this answered, I can safely say this really IS The Center.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom