Domel Vacuum Motors AGAIN!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
AWESOME!!!! These motors beat the crap out of Lambs, and a 2 year warranty to boot. I'm going to replace all my Lambs with these. I looked at the numbers and the suck I get from the one that I've used as a replacement and it's no contest.

Scott Rogers

what model do you use and what are the specs? what do you pay for them? Im about to rebuild my old Century.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Willy;

I would reconsider your decision.

Domel vac motors were previously tried by Mytee with poor results. Some of their operating specs are not uniform for the same motor.

Both our company, and Mytee have switched our vac motor of choice to a new company.
(thanks for the heads-up, John)

They are the former General Signal engineers at the factory formerly operated by GS.

They have done a great job of improving the "AirWatt" output from 5.7" vac motors.

The efficiency of creating "air-watts" from electrical power is outstanding in their new vac motors.

Pricing has also been very competitive, which is a factor in today's market.

Larry

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mikey P said:
Cross-Threaded claims he has figured out how to "Synchronize" the 3 vacs in his XPS.

Is that possible?
Mikey I can't give you an answer as Ed has retooled the Recoil from the one I bought. They now have auto fill/dump, the power booster can come with 100 psi pump and can be run to increase lift or cfm, and I understand he's rejigged the vac set up.
Larry Cobb said:
Willy;

I would reconsider your decision.

Domel vac motors were previously tried by Mytee with poor results. Some of their operating specs are not uniform for the same motor.

Both our company, and Mytee have switched our vac motor of choice to a new company.
(thanks for the heads-up, John)

They are the former General Signal engineers at the factory formerly operated by GS.

They have done a great job of improving the "AirWatt" output from 5.7" vac motors.

The efficiency of creating "air-watts" from electrical power is outstanding in their new vac motors.

Pricing has also been competitive, which is a factor in today's market.

Larry

Larry is there a way to access the numbers for this? I've replaced the vac motor in my power booster with a Domel and the vac increase seems quite significant from the old Lamb. Another board member has also told me he's had a good run with the Domels on his Mytee frame. I personally can't say anything about longevity or durabilty as it's only been used 6 times. I'm interested in what you are describing as well though. I'm all ears and open minded about anything I can do to increase performance as the market I serve is primarily high rise.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bob Foster said:
What kind of price Willy?
Hi Bob- If you know what you want, I can get a price for you. I do some swap stuff with my buddy that owns a vacuum store so my pricing is, well, exceptional on my own purchases. I'm sure I can get you a good deal on what you need.

Willy

Scott Rogers

Unless I come up with a better option, I am planning on going with a couple of these from Cobb

Hi Airwatt
3 Stage Hi-Perf. Vac Motor
5.7" Diameter x 8"
Metal Mounting Ears
141" Water Lift
511 Air Watts
13 amps (11.5 in series)
LMB135
$129.95

R

rotovacguy

Hi Scott,

I'm using the domels in my Mytee with great success, not one problem to speak of. I've heard Larry Cobb and John LaBarbera say that they've not had good luck with them.

All I can say is for me they've been excellent, awesome power and reliability, and the price was right, too. I'm seeing guys get all caught up in the numbers game, but is it translating to better cleaning? Faster dry times? I wanted to purchase a motor made here in the USA, but also at a reasonable price, too. The factory Lamb's that I pulled out of the Mytee both say clear as day...."Made in Mexico"....so big deal if the Domels are from Slovenia. I'd perhaps be interested in trying those GS motors.....but what's the cost of them???? Nobody mentions that. Besides, I can pick up these Domels all day long for $100 each, maybe Willy can get them cheaper with his connections. :D

These are the motors I have in my Mytee, and these are the numbers for them....not too bad for the price. My dry times average about 4 hours, even with 50 feet of 2" hose. Any lengths above that, not sure, I don't go beyond 50 feet. I ordered them from Centralvacuum.com....very nice people to do business with. They come standard with a 2 year warranty, and are also rated for 800-1000 hours life. Is Lamb offering that on their motors?? Also...they are the standard motor in the Miele vacuums, so I wouldn't exactly call them junk, and they are popping up in nearly every central vac being made today. All I can say is I have about 150 hours on mine so far, and they are just as great as when i put them in, and saved me a good sum of money, too.

Domel #4913720

2 stage with tapered fan blades, full metal body, ears, and "horn", no plastic here.

123.7" H2O lift 128.4 cfm

1802 watts 15.5 amps

$100 each, shipping included

(lighthouse makes a replacement model based on this Domel, pretty much identical, same price, rated at 604 air watts)

Oh yeah...one other thing I heard about the Domels is that they go through carbon brushes like crazy, I can't say I've experienced that. Even after about 150 hours, there's plenty left on the stick. And even if they did...who cares, they're cheap and easy to swap. If that's the biggest problem they have, they're a keeper!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Willy;

One key factor I look for in new vac motors is... EFFICIENCY.

First, it keeps the amp draw down while providing peak performance.

Two, by lowering the heat generated, the motor & bearings last longer.

Efficiency is higher on the GS vacs than any other vacs I've seen.

Air-Watt levels are also higher.

On warranties, it is important to know exactly what is covered by the manufacturer.

Larry

Greenie

15.5 amps! :shock:

I just sold a pair of 3 stage (not 2 stage) to a customer that I am pretty damn sure will spank those Dommels listed while under load in real word conditions, and don't cost much more, and pull a full 3.5 amps LESS per vac, that is an important detail in configuring a porty. But i don't want this to be perceived as downing the product you chose, we are entitled to our opinions and independent purchase decisions, but I don't want to see a newbie "jumping ship" on a perfectly good vacuum motor choice cause it's the subject of the day on a forum.

It's easy enough to run a few test, I'll bet if you sent those new Dommels (are they new?) to Nathan Pepper at Mytee he would install them in an extractor and give you some real world feedback at 50 and 100', then you will know for sure.

Name
John LaBarbera
I have not tested Domel for a long time. But I have used the EM motor and like it and the Company very much.

R

rotovacguy

Yeah, the ones I have are rated for 15.5 amps each, but in series will be a little less. I have 2 cords on my Mytee, one cord runs the 600 psi pump (w/ dc motor) and a domel, while the other cord has a domel on it, nothing else. The main cord does need a 20 amp circuit, big deal, 99% of kitchens have them, while the other one gets it's own 15 amp circuit, and is just fine. Saving a few amps isn't going to really amount to much anyway since you're only going to get one motor per circuit anyway. So you have a motor that pulls like 12 amps, that's still all you're going to get on that one circuit. If I were popping breakers left and right, I'd be the first to warn anyone about it, but that's hasn't even been an issue for me. If you're talking about those wimpy little Lamb motors that came stock in my Mytee, yeah, you can get 2 of those on one cord, but when you put your hand on the end of the hose, you'll know why!! My machine is a speedster 1000 dx-200....I think those little 2 stagers that came stock are rated for like 7 amps each, idk. I keep them as backups, but that's about all they're good for. Dry times with those Lambs was ridiculous, with the Domels I'm averaging 4 hours. I'm happy with the results, as are the custys, and the price was right. Beyond that, I really don't GAS.

I'm not going to get into a war about who makes a better motor, all I'm doing is telling Willy about my experience with them, which has been very favorable. As far as sending them to Mytee to get the numbers, I really don't care, those numbers mean squat to me. What does matter is the bottom line.....do they have a ton of suction? oh yes, plenty, even on 50 feet of hose......are the dry times reasonable? I'm not about to complain about 4 hours.......are they reliable? over 150 hours without a hiccup......are they pulling out what ever I'm putting in? absolutely..........are they affordable? $100 each suits me just fine. Rated for 800-1000 hours, along with a 2 year warranty....is there any other manufacturer backing up their products like that??? If so, I haven't heard about it yet. So far they have been bulletproof for me, I can't really ask for more then that.

DannyD

rotovacguy said:
If you're talking about those wimpy little Lamb motors that came stock in my Mytee, yeah, you can get 2 of those on one cord, but when you put your hand on the end of the hose, you'll know why!! My machine is a speedster 1000 dx-200....I think those little 2 stagers that came stock are rated for like 7 amps each, idk. I keep them as backups, but that's about all they're good for. Dry times with those Lambs was ridiculous, with the Domels I'm averaging 4 hours. I'm happy with the results, as are the custys, and the price was right. Beyond that, I really don't GAS.

Hi Roto,

What were your dry times before? Also, what PSI are ya cleaning w/? I'm asking because I have a porty that I use to rinse w/ after OP. I have 2 two stage vacs, use 25 feet of 1.5 hose, & it's dry in about 2 hours. I'm only rinsing w/ 100PSI though. I'm also using a 2 jet wand, so I may not have nearly as much flow as you. Just trying to figure this out though. Thanx for your time.

Back
Top Bottom