Don't do this

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Well, that's a first in the 34 years of being in business.

My son allowed the garage door to set down onto our fresh water hose connected to the customer's bibb inside. The door won't open up with the clicker or door control panel. There is no way into the garage except through this door. No access from a window or to the house. My son disconnected the hose from the truck but couldn't get the door off the hose, so he left the hose. The water is on but the hose has a direct feed connect device on it so that the water isn't coming out.

The customer had to leave because her husband is in the hospital. My son left for his next job. The repairman won't arrive for a few hours. We have served this customer about 20 times since 2014 and this never happened.

Let's see how much this will cost me.
The job was for about $550. Do I also give her a discount in addition to paying for the repair?

I wonder if allowing the water to drain from the hose if this would reduce the strain on the door enough to open?

FredC

Village Idiot
. The water is on but the hose has a direct feed connect device on it so that the water isn't coming out.

The customer had to leave because her husband is in the hospital. My son left for his next job. The repairman won't arrive for a few hours.

got a wire clothes hanger? A lot of them you can go in from the top and pull the release...

Reactions: Papa John

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
So it's going to cost me $850. The hose sprayed water onto the garage door motor and needs replacement.

The hose connection at the bibb was leaking a little while the work was being done. The pressure within the hose increased once the water stopped flowing out and was able to create a jet of water to soak the motor. I told my son, That's why I never allow a hose to leak and I fix the problem before it creates a bigger problem.

The helper who attached the hose is having a mental breakdown now.
My son and I told him It's Not his fault. He had no idea this could happen. My son told him it could have happened to him or anyone. I said, Well sorta-- It's never happened to me because to don't allow the hose to leak-- cuz I fix the issue first.
It's a training moment.-- aka School of Hard Knocks.

Good thing the water damage wasn't more severe.
How much discount should I give the customer as well?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Well, It got worse.
Apparently, the outlet also shorted out and now an electrician will be getting involved.
I advised checking the breaker, after making sure the outlet is dry.

Name
Jeff T
This is EXACTLY why I show up with 185 gallons of pure, R.O. water on the job.

Fresh, purified water to clean Mrs. pilfingtons carpet, upholstery, or T&G…

No BS, no hook up, no dumping.

Clean, smooth operation from beginning to end.

I’ve NEVER had an issue.

Tell me again how having a large fresh tank is a problem???

Right, I have to replace my brakes every 5 years…

Reactions: Matt Middleton

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
What kind of chocolates?
1692936976439.png

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
This is EXACTLY why I show up with 185 gallons of pure, R.O. water on the job.

Fresh, purified water to clean Mrs. pilfingtons carpet, upholstery, or T&G…

No BS, no hook up, no dumping.

Clean, smooth operation from beginning to end.

I’ve NEVER had an issue.

Tell me again how having a large fresh tank is a problem???

Right, I have to replace my brakes every 5 years…
We have a freshwater tank-- but my son prefers to go direct feed--I have a feeling this is going to change. :eekk: :lol:
The transfer pump sometimes poops out on big jobs and I think this is why he did direct feed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Reminds me of a job I was on in a large condo building. Janitorial lady plugs in a vacuum cleaner so she can vacuum an outside rug and let's the steel door close on the power cord. Big shower of sparks but I pulled the plug out before it could catch fire. Never close anything on a water hose or power cord.

Name
Nate W.
Good help is hard to find.. Man PJ, I feel for you.. I've had my far-share of mess-ups as well.. I asked a young employee to move my installers van directly forward into another stall.. Comes up 10 mins later saying there's a problem.. The DA tried to make the van fit under the underground parking with the concrete opening.. Basically sardine canning the top of the roof and busting the windshield.. A $3,000 lesson to not let someone move another person's vehicle..

An extension cord that melted on a ETM resulting in having to replace a lobby carpet.. We make everything right and don't charge for the cleaning to apologize for the inconvenience.. Most are understanding that $hit happens..

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Good help is hard to find..
It's My Fault.
I don't have a documented training manual or program that covers all aspects of the job. Baptism by fire is how I roll :eekk: :hopeless:
I learn by doing or seeing-- not by being told/verbal or reading; So this is how I train.

The helper was just doing what my son trained him to do. Both never understood that a small leak can become a big leak.
They failed to realize a small problem can become a big problem if not handled quickly.
This was a training moment-- If something ain't right or something is out of place- fix it immediately if you can.

The Helper had a mental breakdown because he was so remorseful and my son had to do the 2nd job on his own.
He's a keeper.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
“Things fall apart...the center cannot hold”
-Yeats

Or, with more of a scientific perspective, teach him about entropy.

I have never ignored a small problem that didn’t become a big one later.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Defective garage door closer!!!! I had a friend that installed garage doors full time! After each installation he would check the doors poundage it took to close by putting a loaf of bread
Down to see how much it squashed....
It's a very dangerous business to be in..
People usually get pissed if a small toddler gets smashed by a defective garage door! And it should NEVER have enough power to cut a garden hose....
DEFECTIVE GARAGE DOOR!!!!
It's My Fault.
I don't have a documented training manual or program that covers all aspects of the job. Baptism by fire is how I roll :eekk: :hopeless:
I learn by doing or seeing-- not by being told/verbal or reading; So this is how I train.

The helper was just doing what my son trained him to do. Both never understood that a small leak can become a big leak.
They failed to realize a small problem can become a big problem if not handled quickly.
This was a training moment-- If something ain't right or something is out of place- fix it immediately if you can.

The Helper had a mental breakdown because he was so remorseful and my son had to do the 2nd job on his own.
He's a keeper.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

FredC

Village Idiot
Defective garage door closer!!!! I had a friend that installed garage doors full time! After each installation he would check the doors poundage it took to close by putting a loaf of bread
Down to see how much it squashed....
It's a very dangerous business to be in..
People usually get pissed if a small toddler gets smashed by a defective garage door! And it should NEVER have enough power to cut a garden hose....
DEFECTIVE GARAGE DOOR!!!!
I don't think it cut it bawb. Stopping the flow cause a leak at the hosebib to spray.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I don't think it cut it bawb. Stopping the flow cause a leak at the hosebib to spray.
Faulty garden hose then!!! If it IS a faulty hose bib your helper woulda seen it spraying when he approached to attach the hose OR
a faulty hose washer...non-the-less don't jus accept the fact that it is your fault!....
Go get your helper outta the psych ward and get back to work!
'Cides I don't believe a hose bib IN a garage would pass code! I'm fairly sure theres no drain! At least not one that passed code!!!
Must be a killer door closer to pinch the water shut OR there was crappy water pressure
IM SURE I COULD FIND OTHER FACTORS TO BLOW THE JUDGES MIND!

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Faulty garden hose then!!! If it IS a faulty hose bib your helper woulda seen it spraying when he approached to attach the hose OR
a faulty hose washer...non-the-less don't jus accept the fact that it is your fault!....
'Cides I don't believe a hose bib IN a garage would pass code! I'm fairly sure theres no drain! At least not one that passed code!!!
Must be a killer door closer to pinch the water shut OR there was crappy water pressure
Bawb...the tech did notice a leak

the water wasn't under any real pressure at the time because presumably it was filling the truck tank

Once the pressure was increased either by the door or disconnecting the truck (has a quick connect) the water sprayed from the leak

There may or may not be a drain but they usually don't stop water from spraying toward the ceiling

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

the water wasn't under any real pressure at the time because presumably it was filling the truck tank

Once the pressure was increased either by the door or disconnecting the truck (has a quick connect) the water sprayed from the leak

There may or may not be a drain but they usually don't stop water from spraying toward the ceiling
Fred...you would NOT make a good defense lawyer....

Name
Nate W.
It's My Fault.

He's a keeper.

The good help was a tongue & cheek comment....I was referring to your son.. :lol: All I know is everything is a learning/training moment.. Either for the better or worse, lessons always take place! I account for Murphy all the time..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
The good help was a tongue & cheek comment....I was referring to your son.. :lol: All I know is everything is a learning/training moment.. Either for the better or worse, lessons always take place! I account for Murphy all the time..
Ohh jus wait ta ya get old.......yor juggling monkeys an goldfish full time

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I guess the real question is, is JR Sparkle Pants taking over some day?
Yes, he is-- That if he can overcome his "mental issues"-- of which both he and the help have.

They care deeply about delivering High-quality results, and they take it personally if a stain doesn't come out or if the carpet doesn't look spectacular after their efforts. I tell him often, It's NOT your fault. You did not cause the stain, the customer did. As long as you went through all the additional steps and made multiple attempts, which include dwell time-- then you tried your best.-- So forgive yourself. They reply, "I hear you, but it still bugs me"

I told my son that from now on, perhaps there is no need to turn the water on to full flow; As the water will stop flowing from time to time when the Heat Exchanger is full.

A hose bibb in a garage is very common in SF, and there are drains.--The day before this I noticed my son attached the hose to a bibb on the outside of the house and it was leaking. I fixed the issue but failed to make this a training moment.- So my bad. There are always warning signs, we just need to heed them.

I think the issue was a greedy or stupid garage door repairman. Maybe the door opener was fine and the issue was only the soaked and shorted outlet and a tripped breaker.

If I were on that job, I would have tried harder to get that door opened and tried to solve the problem. However, my son was more concerned about not being late to the next appointment and not doing further damage to the door.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom