Don't let your junk fREezE !!!

Name
George Valliant
It's starting to dip below freezing here in the soutwest region. Don't let freeze happen to your money maker! It's a costly repair bill and your rig could be down for a week or more.

I know a guy that let his rig freeze multiple times in a single season. I just learned he's no longer in business. It could happen to you easier than you think. If the merc dips below 32 degrees you could be next.

There is an up side to letting your rig freeze. Your local repair shop will love you! But, we aren't in business to make those guys rich. So, here are a couple ideas:

1. My favorite is to park the van in a garage or heated building. But it may not be possible for many people.

2. Throw a heavy blanket and maybe a good oil filled radiant heater, with extenstion cord, in the van.

3. Winterize using the food grade antifreeze found at Walmart in their auto section. RV owners use the stuff in bulk to winterize their RV's. It's cheap (about 4 bucks a gallon) and only takes a few minutes. In the morning you can recycle the stuff into an empty 5 gallon bucket and re-use it the following night.

I had a rig freeze once. The repair bill was over a thousand $$$.

Anyone else have a costly freeze story?

How do you keep your rig from freezing?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My new apex froze last year I did the antifreeze but didn't circulate it through so the second heat exchanger was leaking the next morning Brought it in and got it welded and have never had a problem again. I keep one ceramic heater going with a temp of 40 degree kick on and another that will kick on at 35 degrees

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
gvalliant said:
Anyone else have a costly freeze story?

not that I want to admit to.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll add one thing to your suggestions,
be sure all you little cowboys use a minimum of 12gauge wire extension cord when using electric heaters
None of those cheap 16 gauge wire cords

and keep the length down to what you need.
Don't use 100ft cord if you only need 25ft

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
did i mention that i gots radiant heat in my shop........

it's cool.......NO WAIT...it's hot!

Jimbo

Here's how I deal with the cold...I park it in here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20910

up in the far right corner of that pic is a Reznor Gas Heater...usually keep the shop at 50 degrees...unless I'm working out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom