DOT number...grrrrrrr

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
So then I was pulled over the other day (traveling in the left lane with my trailer...SPEED IT UP PEOPLE!!!)

ANYWAY......while I am pissed he pulled me over for that (i have passed PLENTY of officers in the left lane, with the trailer)

he let me off with a warning...however he brought up the DOT bullshit....

so i went through and read their app....

WTF are we suppose to list?? over half that shit doesnt apply to us...other then the weight part....

we dont

transport people
goods or products
hazmat stuff

etc. etc.

soooo hows this suppose to work????

what a pita.....i liked being under the radar

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have been caught speeding in the left lane several times with a trailer. the biggest problem is cops showing up from behind its tuff to see them approach from behind with a trailer. its normally been when I have the hammer down running 80-85 mph in the fast lane. where there is a car pool lane it says no vehicles towing trailers in left 2 lanes which means the carpool lane and the one next to it. if there is no carpool lane then there are no signs and IMO its not illegal to be in the left most lane. I have recieved warnings for it in both cases carpool lane and parts of the road with no carpool lane. I tell them well ok that means the only way for me to pass is to pass people on the right. I say this goes against the rules of the road and everything I have been taught, which it does. they know as well as anyone how valid my argument is. I was even warned again about it after the officer that pulled me over said officer so and so already warned you about this on such and such a date. I was surprised they knew that. I said look I don't agree with the rule its against the rules of the road, I am not a semi and not holding up traffic. still got another warning no ticket.

as to the DOT stuff, never had a problem with it. it was never brought up.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
the instructions for filling out the form most likely to apply to you might help with the online process (confusing)

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/forms/r-l/MCS-150-Instructions-and-Form.pdf

or do it offline

yea yea, read through it...hence my confusion.....

why cant these government people just write shit in plain english???

think I could sue them about that... I mean the hispanics did to get stuff in spanish....

and yeah Steve I brought that up to about passing...he said..."then i guess you have to wait or go on the right":madd:

SO on the way home today...i played that game of staying out of the right lane BULLLLLLLLL SHIT..... I will so road rage if i have to stay over there... get them the F%^$ out of the middle lane if they are only doing 60-65...

and yea, i call it an "acct" with the police...you have to know they make notes for other officers....

ohhh and he was on the left side of the road...right there by 30th in ogden....and yeah the other lanes where plugged...

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
In these parts, Smokie Bear will only break your balls when you remain in the left lane too long. It is mainly reserved for passing only, and after your passing maneuver is complete, you must return to center, or next lane on your right.

Don't camp in the left lane regardless of your speed relative to other traffic. That's what they don't like.

Get in, pass, get out.

A CB radio is your best defense against the pork when on the open road.
Truckers know EVERYTHING that's going on.

Copy that??

Reactions: GCCLee

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
In these parts, Smokie Bear will only break your balls when you remain in the left lane too long. It is mainly reserved for passing only, and after your passing maneuver is complete, you must return to center, or next lane on your right.

Don't camp in the left lane regardless of your speed relative to other traffic. That's what they don't like.

Get in, pass, get out.

A CB radio is your best defense against the pork when on the open road.
Truckers know EVERYTHING that's going on.

Copy that??

Yes, they also worry about what would happen if someone didn't hook that trailer up perfectly or you hit a patch of ice on an overpass going that fast. A truck and trailer can do considerably more roadway carnage than a truck or car alone. Slow down.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Billy

hydracat

Saw a guy burn to death Monday in Tacoma because a pick up towing a small uhaul trailer crossed the midian and hit a box truck and semi.

Mike Draper

I have a DOT # Doug. It's absolute bullshit!!! Wait till you find out what it really entails and all the insurance, regulations, drivers logs, medical cards, etc,etc. it will make blood squirt out if your eyes. If you crash and don't have a DOT on your trailer you will be sued in the same category as a big rig trucker. You would lose your ass and your business. Merry Christmas.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Chevy.....W4500....GVW..14500......

16 foot Cab over box truck...

not a single D.O.T. number on it........

Arizona does not have all those laws....I don't have to worry about weigh stations......what lane I drive in...inspections...fees.... nothing....

Sucks to be me sometimes...but not when it comes to the D.O.T..B.S...............

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Saw a guy burn to death Monday in Tacoma because a pick up towing a small uhaul trailer crossed the midian and hit a box truck and semi.

That's bad....

Recently I got passed by a trailer.. with no vehicle attached to it. Down in Carlsbad on the freeway. Luckily it didn't hit my van as it was rolling pretty straight at that moment. But I got to see it wrecking 2 cars in front of me...I swerved away into another lane. The truck that was towing it before, never got damaged.

Also in Carlsbad on the freeway a 14 foot aluminium ladder fell off a trailer and flew straight into a corolla. Landed in the back seat. It went thru the front windshield and between the two front seats. The lady driving the corolla is one lucky person to still in posession of a head. If it came in a foot away, she would have gotten decapitated.

FredC

Village Idiot
not a single D.O.T. number on it........

Arizona does not have all those laws....I....

You sure Jim? AZ is one of the states that require DOT numbers on all commercial vehicles....but I guess it would depend on who the trucks are titled to.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
You sure Jim? AZ is one of the states that require DOT numbers on all commercial vehicles....but I guess it would depend on who the trucks are titled to.

In AZ.....if you are transfering goods from point A to point B.then it is required........

If you are offering a service......( Like carpet cleaning )........then it is not required.......

FredC

Village Idiot
OK...got it, This is why I was confused:

[h=5]When Do I Need a U.S. DOT Number?[/h] If you generate revenue through the transportation of your own property, property of others (for-hire), perform a service that is a part of your business or have a personal hobby that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 10,000 lbs, you meet the definition of a Motor Carrier and must obtain a U.S. DOT number.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/VehicleServices/Registration/commercial-vehicle-registration

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
we checked into it years ago when I got the old Vortex..........between that truck and the one I have now I have been pushing over 6 years and no problems.......

there is not a carpet cleaning ..box truck..van..or trailer out here that has to have them....

I figure it might change...but I don't see it anywhere in the very near future.........

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I have a DOT # Doug. It's absolute bullshit!!! Wait till you find out what it really entails and all the insurance, regulations, drivers logs, medical cards, etc,etc. it will make blood squirt out if your eyes. If you crash and don't have a DOT on your trailer you will be sued in the same category as a big rig trucker. You would lose your ass and your business. Merry Christmas.

SO clue me in a little then??? I dont think i have to have a log in this case...he did bring up the medical card

When Do I Need a U.S. DOT Number?

If you generate revenue through the transportation of your own property, property of others (for-hire), perform a service that is a part of your business or have a personal hobby that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 10,000 lbs, you meet the definition of a Motor Carrier and must obtain a U.S. DOT number.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/VehicleServices/Registration/commercial-vehicle-registration

and yea thats the confusing part....the UT one says nothing about services...only transporting stuff.....

I get the heavy weight stuff, making sure people arent over loading (oh ha wait they dont check that but 4 places)

Sounds like BS to me......but I was just thinking...there is a Capt, for the UHP that lives 3 streets over....time to go pick his brain I guess.....

they need exceptions.....bring your shit in and show us.....if i need a drivers log, for my 20 min to a house i might freak

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
or i can just register it in my personal name....

but then that brings up tons of BS to...taxes and what not

damn they like sticking it to the little guy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They've been strick on the 10k weight here for years. They see one without the number and they pull you over. Weight you with scales and make sure you have a log book, current medical card, triangle, fire extinguisher.

Last year they started cracking down on trailers. All trailers, they will pull you over if you have a little 5x8 lawn trailer.

Its all about money. Our state is looking for revenue and this has been a landfall for them. You have to register or you'll be fined some serious cash for noncompliance.

Mike Draper

Doug, Mr. Highway patrol will tell you the same thing I did. My friend is a Highway patrol. I tied to find a way around it, its just how it is. I dont drive on the interstate though so I dont have a log book for around town. In the rare case I drive on I-15 its all fudged to compliance. Like the Chavez said, its about revenue.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
.if i need a drivers log, for my 20 min to a house i might freak
Doug, As far as a Log book goes, on a commercial vehicle if you are traveling more than 100 air miles away from your home terminal you have to carry a log book. The medical card is kind of a joke. You need to go and get a DOT physical and have to have your card in your possession at all times. It is good for two years. I am due to renew mine in the next few months.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
From the Udot website Doug.
A Non-CDL driver is exempt from the requirements of 395.3(a)(2) and
395.8 and ineligible to use the provisions of 395.1(e)(1), (g), and (o) if:
• Operates within 150 air-mile radius (172.06 miles) of the normal work
reporting location;
• The driver returns to the normal work reporting location at the end of
each duty tour; and
• The driver does not exceed 11 hours maximum driving time following 10
consecutive hours off duty; and
• Does not drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days of any
period of 7 consecutive days; and

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Arizona absolutely requires it Jim just because you've been lucky doesn't me they dont. I'll tell the whole story later but it entails me getting a ticket losing my license for 10 hours and sitting at the Arizona Utah border crossing waiting for a ride and all I was doing was helping out a customer.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

I have been around this tree many times...........

years ago I called the washington office .......they only handle the status of applications and fines...so they referred me to the Colorado office......Colorado is the western division and handle multiple states...the lady was unfamiliar with the specific details on AZ so she gave me the Phoenix number........

Called the Phoenix number and talked to a lady name Vicki....I gave here all the details on my truck....make ...model..and GVWR of 14,500....She was told that it was a carpet cleaning truck and it would be hauling around carpet cleaning equipment.....she asked me if it was going to leave the state of Arizona....I told her it was not...

Her words to me was... NO...Arizona does not require me to have a DOT number on my truck....we are not moving or delivering goods.......

so..straight from main office in AZ....it has been confirmed that I do NOT have to have one...I do have to run commercial plates...... ( which I do )..and I am not required to have a CDL licenses....it is only a federal law if you are crossing state lines...then the states will use the DOT to monitor intrastate.....some states may use the federal laws in some of there monitoring....but not all do..

as long as I am not hauling goods from point a to point b.......we carpet cleaners....no matter what we drive are not required to run D.O.T........
call the phoenix number and check for yourself........

If I was required to have them....He would of nailed me...

IMG_0442.jpg

we call these inspection trucks...they can pull over anyone...but there main reason is watching large commercial trucks.........

I got nailed for my windows being tinted to dark........

Last edited:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
You have to find out the rules for intrastate (within the state, NEVER EVER have or will go over state lines) or interstate (once over any state line you are in federal law - USDOT going forward). I had a similar issue like John O.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
99% of the people from KDOT to the KCC don't know why we are involved and don't know where we fit into there equation and it's been over 10-years now. As I said it's all about the state looking for more revenue and they figured this is easy money for them with no extra costs for enforcement. Oh you also have to have a yearly inspection on the vehicle, they have a check list, lights, brakes and box markers etc.

steve g

Name
steve garrett

When Do I Need a U.S. DOT Number?

If you generate revenue through the transportation of your own property, property of others (for-hire), perform a service that is a part of your business or have a personal hobby that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 10,000 lbs, you meet the definition of a Motor Carrier and must obtain a U.S. DOT number.

if that is the case everyone that pulls a camper trailer would have to have a DOT number. because they have a hobby that means a combo of vehicles exceeds 10000#. we know people that pull camper trailers don't need a DOT number. here is a thought what if the cop doesn't know what the HELL they are talking about?? if we can't figure out the rules then they can't either. I have been pulled over probably more than anyone here, by city cops, highway patrol etc. pulling a trailer etc. never was anything about a DOT number brought up. if anything I have heard the cops tell OTHER people they need it but never ticket them. I wouldn't worry about it. you have liability insurance on your vehicles someone said you would get sued because you don't have a DOT number. give me a freaking break!!! if your in an accident and its your fault and someone is hurt there is going to be a lawsuit anyways regardless if you have a DOT number or not. your liability is no more no less without an DOT number. Some people like to play arm chair cop and say you have to have this or that, bullshit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom