drained a 1000 gallons in 60 minutes

Name
George Valliant
Here's a few pics from this mornings mudslide.

They just wanted the standing water removed and then they sent me packing.

It's unfortunate cuz i was hoping to see this job through to the finish.

i created a natural siphon to drain the lake in their backyard.
20130915_091108_zps5d8ac611.jpg

you can see the waterline almost 3 feet up the wall
20130915_092743_zps17482ccd.jpg

rain washed mud down the volcano cliffs and smashed through the retaining wall.
20130915_091434_zps81b3db45.jpg

city workers showed up with heavy equipment
20130915_092048_zpseb1652b4.jpg

slurped up water as it ran through the doors.
20130915_092341_zps3947d697.jpg

finally, a couple quick passes w/ the Lochhardt special extreme extractor.
20130915_102110_zps00a5787b.jpg

that's all they wanted me to do then they paid and sent me packing. i think they have another crew lined up for tomorrow.

i guess that's how the cookie crumbles

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
WOW that's crazy!

Don't feel too bad George, that carpet should come out, so all you lost out on was wash down and short dry down. You'll get the next one. :winky:

Name
George Valliant
i used vacuum from the truckmount to start the siphon and gravity did the rest.

enough water got into the house to ruin the carpet and wet the baseboards. I extracted the carpet to make removal a little easier for them.

they have a family member who's supposed to finish the job. they were panicking because the insurance does not cover ground water.

if my buddy comes through, I'm hoping to get called up to Colorado today or tomorrow. we'll see.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They should cut out the affected lower drywall. While the silt is not sewage, who knows what contaminants are in that soil...could be rat feces???

Cut it out wash it down well apply a disinfectant and dry down. Even a mixture of 10% Clorox could be used if they are careful to not it it on themselves or any materials that could be damaged by it. Make sure they rinse it with an antichlor (sodium bisulfite or potassium bisulfite) to neutralize it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you do go to Colorado make sure you are prepared for the worst.

I'd have rubber boots, gloves, eye protection, some tyvek suits, a pressure gun to pressure wash, squeege to push water to drain or to your hard surface tool, hand tools to remove wet drywall & insulation, 6-mil trash bags to bag debris, plenty of Antimicrobial and a good sprayer, first aid kit.

Also air movers and dehumidifiers, low amp axials will move more air and you can use more per circuit, if the air is dry up there you can have an open drying system but if it gets damp and humid at night they need to close it up and run the dehumidifiers.

Take photo's for documentation in case they have flood insurance. You might also consider a tetus and Hep shots if you don't have them. Welcome to the restoration business! :winky:

P.S.
Consider a PPE bag for yourself that way you have anything you might need in it.

This is what each tech's PPE bag contains.

(4)Tyveks Suits
Bump Hat
Ear Plugs
Safety glasses
Goggles
Full Face Respirator
Half Face Respirator
P-100 Organic Vapor/Acid gas
N-95 disposable Respirator
Dust Mask
Box Nitrile Gloves
Leather Gloves
Band-Aids
Hand Cleaner packets
Alcohol Wipes for Cleaning PPE
Zip lock baggies (respirators, open cartridges)
3-M tape (tape wrists, tears in tyvek)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
George Valliant
Awesome information!!! I'll print it if the call comes in. Our point of contact cell is going straight to voicemail now.

If it wasn't for you, i'd probably burn rubber out of town just like the Blues Brothers in this video. lol

http://youtu.be/YHa_jqxnn4o

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

That's what I like to see from our tech's, get in and get going! We already have some guys out this am. A sewage job and two small water losses this am. Two crews out one can handle both water losses since the are smaller.

You could go but chances are they wouldn't let you in the damaged area. But as much damage as they have had you could get walk up people in need of service. It would be a risk but one to consider. I'd also get on what is required in the way of a business license.

Brad Gouveria posts here a lot he is in Colorado Springs, I don't know if you can get a hold of him???
http://www.clean-response.com/

Back
Top Bottom