Draperies

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
I have been asked by a good customer to clean her shear drapes. They cannot be taken down, and cover the whole front of the house and around a corner. Approximately 50 linear feet. They have been up for 15 years or so. The fabric is see through and extremely easy to get pulled into my PMF handpiece.
I tested a small corner, and it seemed to clean okay, but the height of the panels are from floor to 14' ceiling.
Does anyone have valid suggestions as to how these could be cleaned on location?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
14ft high??

scaffolding....

and one of those ole skool upl tools with a large face and lots of little holes like the Hydro-Kentic ??

1572177350344.png

..L.T.A.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
For vacuuming, backpack with long extension poles or canister vac with extension pole and maybe tall A frame ladder

For cleaning, you’d be nuts to kill yourself using any type of wet cleaning upholstery tool.

There’s another way that’s much easier and not back breaking labor.
Two step process. Sorry I can’t reveal it here though. It would ruin my $$flow.

Top dollar job. On jobs that can afford 15ft ceiling draperies, take out your heaviest $ledge hammer and hit em over the head $$.
5A188AEB-3B29-4391-B92A-09ECD4242E4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
Thanks for the input guys. I explained a few options that came to mind, not one of them would be an easy remedy. I remember Wally and the Hydro kinetic tool, but my experience is limited to cleaning some smaller curtains years ago.

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
She said they were expensive when new, I didn't have access to a ladder to inspect the tracks. They originally were white material, now look slightly grey.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I wonder why those sheers can not be taken down and sent to a professional drapery cleaning service?

I ask because I used to own a very large drapery cleaning Plant (11,000 sq.ft) and we also had experience "cleaning on location" using the dry cleaning solvent(s). I would not attempt to do those on location period. You would be knocking at the Liability door on that one. Sun rot on the fold, etc.....
Wet cleaning (water) will brighten; dry cleaning will not. A true Drapery Professional (in-plant) will have a special drapery stretching machine which will hold them in place while they are steamed.

Some jobs are worth moving on from and instead recommending another with the experience.

Only me recommendation.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You should make an arrangement with a dry cleaning store with a 14 ft pleating machine. Many still have them. Have them clean and press them and you can charge a percentage on top as well fees for take down and rehang plus pick up and delivery. Sheers can be very fragile and are easily torn.

Reactions: Ed Valentine
Name
Steve Lawrence
Prefer wet cleaning for sheers. Also, I'd be totally upfront with price and do a small section for her approval and continue on to a very profitable job! Also, I would include window cleaning on the inside only and do a great job!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You should make an arrangement with a dry cleaning store with a 14 ft pleating machine. Many still have them. Have them clean and press them and you can charge a percentage on top as well fees for take down and rehang plus pick up and delivery. Sheers can be very fragile and are easily torn.
And they’ll make you sign that waiver too!

saying it’s gonna fall apart Bonaparte

Reactions: Cleanworks

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
BoB S.and Ruff replied with what I was going to say.A instructor once said never make their problems yours,if they seem to risky...I agree,chance of fiber migration(shrinkage),tears,fabric rot etc..Avoid,simply put..The money you make is not worth it...Honestly -GooD Day to all !!!

Reactions: Ed Valentine

steve_64

Just did a move in clean for someone recently. I don't like wet cleaning curtains because I worry about streaking and blotches appearing. I just Vaccumed and wiped them off with a slightly damp rag. That's all they wanted anyway. Just the cobwebs dusted off. It made them happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom