dried paint

KOOSER55

Ive had a few apartments recently that have had dried paint all over the carpets and its been a real pain getting it out. Ive been using my bridgepoint spoting kit and just scubbing the heck out of it. Does anyone have any advice on what chemical is best for this. I havent used the scissors yet because its very low grade carpet and i thought it would be noticeable but thats my next step

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tell the prop manager you intend to start charging extra for paint spots because of the difficulty in removing "cured" latex paint with out delaminating the carpet.

Then you'll notice how few paint spots you see next time there

You'd be surprised how many peeps think because it's latex (water clean up) that it can be removed just as easy.
Once it's cured, it's no longer water soluble.

anything that's fast and easy, like Goof Off (xylene) will delaminte the carpet.
apply it to a spotting towel and use it that way, don't pour it on a paint spot
Citrus gels are safest, but are slow

if they're little drips, just snip the top of the fiber.
You're not cutting a bald a spot, you're snipping the tips of a couple fiber bundles is all

..L.T.A.

Name
R.J. Povio
we've used BIX paint stripper....you can get it at a local home depot type store....we have not had problems with delamination...its sort of thick in consisitancy....so it really doesnt reach the backing fast....let it set on the paint for a minute or 2....agitate....then extract....definately rinse well...

we have to remind all of our property mgrs/ maint people to becareful with spilling paint....it will be good for a while...then all of sudden paint all over the place....we charge extra...sometimes as much as the cost to clean the whole apartment...sometimes you have a tech scrubbin paint the whole time the other is cleaning the carpet....do not be afraid to charge extra!!!!

G

I use mineral Spirit/POG then Solvent cleaner and flush with extraction fluid.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I'm with Chris. Pro solv gel works awesome on dried paint!

Just keep it out of high heat or it will go bad on you.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I love the Moron painters that tell the property managers " it will come right out when the carpets are cleaned, it's water based paint.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
CTI.s pro-solve works great, but so does denature alcohol and it cost much less. Mist with a sprayer and let it sit for a while. Do not saturate carpet because it WILL delaminate the backing of the carpet.

CTI Pro solve and Power Gel work the best on paint...IMO....Steamway spotter 301 works well too...What works best is to go through the job and find all the paint spots and put your spotter on it....I find that if you let the chemical sit on the spot for a little bit that it comes out a lot easier....

steve r

i took complex manager to the apartment to see it for herself.she was complaining of my charges for it.not much of a problem anymore, now if i see paint i just leave it.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
If latex paint would readily wash off, your house would not have any paint on it after the first rain. A painter would through is pants in the washer and it would take all the paint spots out of his clothes. You could just leave that roller or brush with the paint in them over night and then just wash them out the next day and you can use them again.

Greenie

It would be sweet if someone would make a low cost product with Xylene in a gel base that could be "sprayed" on, so it would sit topically for a few mins. and dwell, you gotta be able to spray it, none of this dab will do ya prosolve tube stuff. We once had a product from the aerospace industry that was an adhesive remover, you could spray it on a vertical wall, and it would gel apon contact, yet it sprayed fine. I've had jobs where the whole room was misted in paint :!:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
What I've been doing is scraping it as much as I can first, then spray it will Allsolve from Bridgepoint, agitate to loosen it up, then some Orangel, then more Allsolve. The Orangel, being a nice thick gel, holds the Allsolve better and keeps it on the top of the carpet and then it all rinses out. Between the two it replaces the Prosolve. I get much more mileage out of the material. The Prosolve just seemed to get used up so fast!!

In rentals, I would only worry about the really big and noticeable spots. Sometimes there are just toooooooo many. One or two thrown in at the most. Definitely need to charge more if you're going after all of them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom