Dry Cleaning sponges..?

Mikey P

Administrator
961-1000.jpg

Who uses them and what results are you getting?

Do customers give you grief over the simplicity?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What application? :?:

We use them everyday, cases and cases of them for fire damage cleanup.

We use them on walls, ceiling, floors, some contents like books, paper documents, photo's. Even heavily smoke damaged fabrics will be pre-vacuumed and wiped prior to wet cleaning.

No grief, fire clean up is simple work but very labor intensive.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I think he's referring to using them for furniture cleaning.

I haven't used that process to clean with before, but am considering it and would like to know how well it is working for others.

Mikey P

Administrator
As an alternativ e to wiping down with a solvent soaked towle.
We don't dry clean upholstery much any more so the solvent is evaporating b4 we can use it

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It wouldn't leave them with that fresh dry cleaning smell that OMS does. However as little soil as OMS actually removes, the sponge might be able to remove the same.

I always feel the prevacuuming does most of the soil removal. The OMS picks up some greasy oily soils but it's mainly the smell that makes them feel like you cleaned it.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Refer to the sponges as charged electrostatic devices and the process as reversing micro-occlusion due to van der Waals forces. Then you won't have to wear the bandito mask.

Bob Foster

OK Scott, quit going all Forsythe on us :lol: and tell us start to finish how you would dry clean this chair with sponges or with towels.

I wants ta know. And what fibers you should not dry clean and also which ones are most suitable to dry clean.

In Ingrish please and thanks.

i do alot of work for Paul Davis Restoration, and i've seen their cleaning crews use this sponges, boxes of it at job sites. i have some in my truck don't see where dry cleaning upholstery would work, tried it got better results with terry cloth towels.

John Watson

Have to teach Our new Partner TopNotchMan who now does our work how to use them, Thea Sands refered us a job in Watcom County that another cleaner she refered first turned down. 200 yr old Cotton Velvet settee and chair she just bought and shipped over from England. She wants cleaned on location only, but doesn'twant to pay for us to stay allday brushing it out. Oh yeah. because of all the decorative metal tacks that secure the fabric we won't use water. She opted to let us use the dry sponge and I will spray with Jacks Drapery for a fresh clean scent.

We have cleaned the uncleanables for year using sponges. Does it work? Dirty black sponges don't lie. We also have used the same process for our dry-dry drapery cleaning. Just more money in the bank and satisfied clients.

$680.00 Cha ching

topnotchman

That was an interesting story. Good way to not turn down work. Lookin forward to using those.

John Watson said:
Have to teach Our new Partner TopNotchMan who now does our work how to use them, Thea Sands refered us a job in Watcom County that another cleaner she refered first turned down. 200 yr old Cotton Velvet settee and chair she just bought and shipped over from England. She wants cleaned on location only, but doesn'twant to pay for us to stay allday brushing it out. Oh yeah. because of all the decorative metal tacks that secure the fabric we won't use water. She opted to let us use the dry sponge and I will spray with Jacks Drapery for a fresh clean scent.

We have cleaned the uncleanables for year using sponges. Does it work? Dirty black sponges don't lie. We also have used the same process for our dry-dry drapery cleaning. Just more money in the bank and satisfied clients.

$680.00 Cha ching

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The dry cleaning sponges are good for removing all manner of particulates and dry soil. They depend upon static electricity, so moisture from any source tends to "short" the static electric build-up. They work noticeably better on dry days or in less humid environments.

I wear disposable gloves when using them to prevent skin oils from adding to the moisture. I also twist them back and forth before the first use and again every 10 minutes or so to keep the static charge strong.

Rub gently and slowly across the fabric. Use like an eraser on more difficult stains. For some upholstery that don't have liquid spills or a lot of skin and hair oils or when you just can't use water, the sponges work fine. Even good for removing per hair before cleaning with HWE or other system.

You can also follow with a dry solvent cleaning for hair and body oils and mist a fragrance on after cleaning to make it smell fresh. (John Watson - I have not used Jack's in many years. Wasn't sure it was still around. Still have fond memories of Bob Nimis and his daughter Barbara.)

John Watson

Hey Amigo, No Milmaskaras need here. Differance tween me and yous, The white man part of my ansestry took what they wanted or traded the rest with beads!!!!! Guess its in the Levi's. Something else learned from the school of HK/B&G (Hard Knocks with Bumps and Grinds)(Damn still miss the butt bars) Just as I prefer to drive a older Caddy don't mean repairs and parts prices are like a chebby or Ugo...

Scotty, Bob Nimis was also a favorite of mine, Dr Edgar P York told me of him first, Got to meet him and Barb about a year before his passing. Don't know if Jack's is still available, One used so little on each job that a gal would last 10 years.
Guess I could try the 800 # on the jug..
Bob did say that if he had his druthers he would have us digard any unused portion left in ULV fogger, that way we would use more product.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I remember the Jack's line, I think we used the enzyme digester on rugs once in a while when there was food or milk spills. I think we also has some drapery stuff that was really strong in odor too.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
John Watson said:

$680.00 Cha ching

think I still have 2 gallons of Jacks......I haven't checked them in a while. If I'm right, he might have had a class at one of the early MF's, or maybe at a Summerfest I attended.

John Buxton

You can cut the sponges into smaller pieces and get more surface area to use. They also work great on pet hair.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The contents girls cut them up into wedges to get into tight corners.

They really work well, I'm just not impressed with them as a stand alone cleaning method on upholstery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom