Dry polishing pads ?

Mr.cleansalot

Name
JAMES FISHER
I'll post a picture of what I bought i was going to play with them yesterday but got busy .I have only used d.e.p pads and a few powders so far on counter tops .
These look like honey comb pattern and are for granite marble and another stone they range 50 grit to 3k then a buff . What's your advice on these type of polishing pads ?
If any ?

Mr.cleansalot

Name
JAMES FISHER
20200728_065436.jpg

High Functioning Stoner

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Mr. Cleansalot,

I prefer to “wet polish” most marbles, travertine, limestone and granite.
There are certain marbles such as “green serpentine” and other dolomitic marbles that dry polishing can work better on. And on granite resurfacing, the last few polishing grits are always “wet to dry”.
I haven’t tried that specific brand of diamond pads so I can’t comment on there effectiveness.
With that said, I use 5” “Ultra resins” made by MB Stone for marbles, travertine and limestone.
For granite I use NSI Turbos ( low grit 50-500 scratch removal) then transition into a copper hybrid “honeycomb “ resin 800-3000 grit for final polishing wet to dry.

The reason I went into depth on the different resins is this; there really isn’t “one type” of diamond resin pad whether wet or dry that works well on both marbles and granite.
Diamond resin are designed to release the diamonds based upon the “hardness” of the stone.
Granite being much harder then marbles, travertine and limestone requires a resin that is “softer” to release the diamonds at the appropriate rate to keep the pad from glazing over.
Just the opposite with marbles, they require a “harder” resin to release the diamonds at the appropriate rate to keep the diamonds working with the specific hardness of the stone.

One last comment, learning how to resurface / refinish calcite based stones such as, marbles,travertine and limestone is much easier then granite restoration for the reasons stated
above on the hardness of the stone.
The best way to learn is to practice on pieces of stone in your shop and test out the various diamond pads and there effectiveness.
Just know this, all diamond resin pads are NOT created equal.
Also taking a quality stone class to learn more in-depth processes is also a good idea.

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom